Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
North Carolina
I have been hypoglycemic since I was pregnant with my son 6 years ago. I have noticed some on the forum mention low blood sugar and hypoglycemia. Is there a connection between fibromyalgia and hypoglycemia? Most research I have done is not clear. Do any of you have issues with low blood sugar? What tips do you have to offer?
Thanks!

Yes, I am hypoglycemic, sometimes in a severe way. My naturopath is addressing it through a very personalized regimen, based on my blood type and my organs that aren't working well. So while what I'm doing is helping, it may not be what you need. I am working on healing my adrenal glands and pancreas, and to do so I can't eat any sugar, starch, dairy, or alcohol. So no grains or fruit. Instead of getting my strength from sugar, I get it from protien. I eat mostly meat, and some nuts and vegetables. I must eat every two hours. I also take lots of supplements. I have been getting progressively stronger, in that my lowest energy levels are higher than used to be. But other factors, like weather and stress, can prevent me from feeling more energy. It's just a slow process, but I also was really really bad just a few months ago. I have a ways to go, but have come a ways already. I have good days now where before every day was a bad day.

I do suggest eliminating sugar and carbs - carbs are actually worse for my hypoglycemia than anything else. Ginsing helps the most when I need to be alert. Tea is helpful. Coffee can be helpful, but it must be a small amount. More than half a mug at a time can wear me out and make me more tired because it stimulates me and works my organs too much. Occasional 85% dark chocolate is the same. It is helpful in very small amounts, but to much is harmful. The only thing that really works to stabilize my energy levels is to eat protien every two hours.

It depends. Usually, people with this condition have hypoglycemia as well.

Yes, I am hypoglycemic, sometimes in a severe way. My naturopath is addressing it through a very personalized regimen, based on my blood type and my organs that aren't working well. So while what I'm doing is helping, it may not be what you need. I am working on healing my adrenal glands and pancreas, and to do so I can't eat any sugar, starch, dairy, or alcohol. So no grains or fruit. Instead of getting my strength from sugar, I get it from protien. I eat mostly meat, and some nuts and vegetables. I must eat every two hours. I also take lots of supplements. I have been getting progressively stronger, in that my lowest energy levels are higher than used to be. But other factors, like weather and stress, can prevent me from feeling more energy. It's just a slow process, but I also was really really bad just a few months ago. I have a ways to go, but have come a ways already. I have good days now where before every day was a bad day.

I do suggest eliminating sugar and carbs - carbs are actually worse for my hypoglycemia than anything else. Ginsing helps the most when I need to be alert. Tea is helpful. Coffee can be helpful, but it must be a small amount. More than half a mug at a time can wear me out and make me more tired because it stimulates me and works my organs too much. Occasional 85% dark chocolate is the same. It is helpful in very small amounts, but to much is harmful. The only thing that really works to stabilize my energy levels is to eat protien every two hours.
You are right about the carbs. A simple baked potato can cause my blood sugar to drop quicker than a candy bar. The way my hypoglycemia is, I can never predict an episode. I can eat something several times without any problems and then without any warning the same food can cause it to drop very low (as low as 42 on my meter). A friend of mine said that I may be very surprised by my readings if I were to test my blood sugar several times throughout the day for several days. She said that more than likely my blood sugar drops more often than I realize. She also has fibro and deals with similar low blood sugar issues.

I am making slow changes to my diet. Right now I have quit drinking diet drinks and cut out other foods that contain aspartame. I continue to eat things with sugar but a whole lot less than a month earlier. I also continue to sweeten things with truvia/stevia on occasion.

I really appreciate your thoughts and input on the subject.

Watch out on how much chocolate you are eating. It might raise your hypoglycemia a lot, but it will only last half an hour. Then, you will feel even weaker.

Elawhon, I suffer from insulin resistance, so there isn't much I can say. Most of the times my sugar is actually high! I need to watch what I eat and avoid sugar and carbs in general. That's just something I need to do. I guess we will never know the truth about this disease, I mean, it seems IBS is very common among fibro sufferers! I even suffer from that one! This makes one wonder if those two are actually linked? They say depression and fibro usually go together as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back