DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi guys,
Having a rough few days. Yesterday stuck at home, today managed to get to work but not doing great.
Anyway, aside from the usual pain, I've been having increasingly bad shakiness/tremors in my left hand, which seems to be spreading up my arm and shoulder and today my neck/head has started shaking too. Not constantly and I seem to be able to make the worst of it stop when it happens, but it's worrying.
My left arm is in a lot of pain today, pins in my fingers, ache in my upper arm, feels a bit weak. Legs are achy but not shaking.

Trying to figure out what might be causing this. Is it another Fibro symptom? Could it be a side effect of Cymbalta? (I've been on 60mg/day for about a month now, side effect relatively minor, nausea and some drowsiness/lightheadedness).
Another possibility is essential tremor. This runs in my family and possible that it's hit me early (grandmother has is bad, mom is starting to get it now and she's 60). I know if often starts in one hand and spreads to the other, but not sure if it affects other parts of the body.

Anyone have similar problems? Also, any tips to help would be great too (I take B12, Magnesium, trying to eat more bananas, not sure if other supplements would help).

Thanks!

It could be a side-effect of the Cymbalta. I was on 60mg for nearly a year. The tremors started about 3 months in. I put it off to Fibro. A couple of months ago, I had a seizure. My doctor took me off the Cymbalta to be on the safe side (I've also been referred to a neurologist). I am now 18 days off Cymbalta & my tremors have dropped to zero.

I also suffer from tremors in my hands and legs. Also weakness, in a sense. It seems some hours of the day are worse, and the position I hold my body in. For example, I am often unable to press my PIN code when using my credit card in any shop, my hand has this weird tremor. So I have to really put effort into something so simple, to keep steady and still. I've had a brain MRI and that came out fine, so I am assuming it is fibro-related.

I was on a combination of Lyrica and Cymbalta, and the tremors were horrendous. My whole body was having them...It was like the earth beneath my feet was unsteady, shaking the whole time, nonstop. I stopped taking them all together because the doctor told me it could be due to both of these meds. And it was so bad, that I just stopped taking both meds without even trying to ease off of one and try something else.

So yes, it could be the Cymbalta. But it could also be fibromyalgia. It is really important to talk to your doctor about it. All the best....

Thanks guys. I kind of figure it's the drugs, or perhaps the drugs making my essential tremor worse (I started noticing mild shaking on occasion long before my diagnosis). If that's the case I'm ok with it as long as it doesn't become severely worse. I can handle weird symptoms if I know what's causing them. I will of course discuss with my doctor next week and see what she thinks. I don't want to go off of them until I have a viable alternative though. Gotta collect some good info on CBD oil.

I actually need to see the neurologist again soon (for another matter) but will see what he thinks about Fibro, and if I could have an essential tremor already. I'll need an MRI this year or next, so hopefully won't find any surprises. It is interesting that so much of this stuff has to do with defects in how our brains work.

In any case, I'm feeling much better today. Still a bit shaky but we'll be ok.

Cheers

I had these symptoms before starting any meds. Still don't know if it is fibro or something else. Had some neuro tests that all came out ok. Doc called it a physiologic tremor. Not to be confused with psychological, lol. I also get numbness/tingling and loss of coordination. The crappy thing is I wasn't having these symptoms too bad when I was tested. The testing actually sent me into a flare which amplified these symptoms significantly. I believe the newest research on Fibro does correlate with CNS function and can manifest in neurological symptoms. Sometimes it's hard to differentiate between side effects from meds and the fibro itself. I didn't make it past a week on Cymbalta because of the insomnia. I couldn't sleep at all no matter what time I took it. It did relieve pain. I'm doing ok on amytriptyline and flexiril as needed.

I have a tremor. It was really bad for a while. The doctor called it essential tremor, but I don't know if it's part of fibromyalgia. I wasn't on Cymbalta or Lyrica when it started. It comes in my hands and legs. Even when I am asleep sometimes. Heat makes it worse. Stress makes it worse. Using my hands makes it worse. But propranolol really worked for me at a high dose. Beta blockers are something to read up on before you start them, though. But for me it was severe and debilitating, so I was grateful for the relief. It is more mild now. I was worried about it at first, but it doesn't bother me so much now. I am not aware that it runs in my family and I am only 38. Hope this helps.

My first symptom, maybe 5 years before my Fibromyalgia diagnosis was a progressively more common tremor in my left hand. I have long since retired it from any duties because it has failed me so miserably. It always drops things, spills, can't type, operate a remote control, dial a phone, it's just worthless. Of course my right hand has complained but finally understands that it has to just suck it up and get busy.

Welp, saw my Dr this afternoon. Told her about the shaking/tremors. She didn't give a clear answer, probably cause it's too early to tell exactly, but seemed to think that I could have essential tremor already, though didn't say that it shouldn't be this bad. Suggested keeping a log of when it happens (I've started a diary of my symptoms), so we can eventually figure it out, and if it gets a lot worse I'll get in to see her asap.

Off topic, but I've been having some bad brain fog (oh, so I guess I can stand in my kitchen for 20min in the morning not able to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do), which she thinks is likely another symptom (though I wonder if it might be worstened a little by the Cymbalta. I forgot to take my dose this morning and my head is clearer than it's been in days! WTF!?). Also, I tried to get some decent pain-killers out of her for emergencies. she wasn't willing to prescribe any opiates (understandably. They're being extra careful with that stuff these days), and I don't want to add on any more daily meds, but I DID find out that you can get Tylenol 1 (with 8mg codein) OTC here. I always assumed you needed a prescription for any of that. So I'm going to try it and see if it helps on the bad days. If I feel I'm starting to get even remotely dependent on the stuff, I'll stop. Legal weed can't come soon enough!

Anyway, I hope my tremor doesn't get too much worse cause it's in my left hand and I'm a lefty! Do lots of stuff with my right, but writing would be bad and I'd hate to be too shaky to do things like cook and knit and play my cello easily.

Further updates to come as research continues!
Thanks, all

I believe this is a symptom of fibro for I know a lot of people mention it! I too have this and I am not on any of these meds! It would still be best to discuss this with your Dr.

Whatever it is, the tremor has gotten a lot better the past few weeks. I've increased my calcium/magnesium intake which might be helping. My hand still shakes slightly, but I certainly haven't had that weird horrible full arm or head shaking. Also, less muscle twitching. It's more likely to happen now when I'm tired/almost falling asleep, but not nearly as bad as it was.

After reading the whole post, I have learned more about this topic. Thank you.

CYMBALTA AND LYRICA
I HAD TERRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS FROM THEM BOTH. DRY MOUTH, THRUSH, SCALLOPED TOUNGE DUE TO THE FACT MY TOUNGE WENT SWOLLEN. I WAS DIZZY, FALLING, CLUMBSY. THE LIST GOES ON, OH WEIGHT GAIN THAT I CANT SEEM TO GET A HOLD ON, BUT PAIN AND LACK OF EXERSIZE COULD ATTRUBUTE TO THAT.
I am no Dr. and there are some people that lyrica and cymbalta have helped, but in my case, my body could not handle it.
CHECK YOUR MED SIDE EFFECTS, ONLINE, OR WITH YOUR PHARMACY. THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO LOOK UP WHAT YOUR ON, AND SEE IF THE SIDE EFFECTS COULD BE FROM YOUR NEW MED. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back