DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2012
Country
US
State
USA
Hello fellow warriors 8)

Has anyone here taken the Fm/a blood test ? Can you please tell me about it if you have ? Thanks so much.

i've never heard of a blood test for fibromyalgia, this is new to me. please expand. thanks

I've heard of this blood test ,but I was told it's very expensive .i have no idea if it's tested by the FDA or not.

From Webmd.com

A Blood Test for Fibromyalgia?

Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD
WebMD News Archive
Oct. 28, 2013 -- A new blood test may predict fibromyalgia, a condition that can be hard to diagnose.

Research about the new test was presented Sunday at the annual meeting of the American College of Rheumatology in San Diego.

EpicGenetics of Santa Monica, Calif., developed the test, called the FM/a test, says Bruce Gillis, MD, MPH. Gillis is the company’s CEO and an assistant professor of medicine and emergency medicine at the University of Illinois College of Medicine.

"It is objective, very accurate, and definitive," he says.

But the test’s high price tag -- $744 -- may keep its use limited for now, one expert says.

Read the full article: http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/news/20131028/blood-test-fibromyalgia

I've done some research on this test. The FDA analyzed the original study of the test, and found that it was not conducted in an accurate manner. Here's what the FDA's report says:

"A small 2012 study (110 fibromyalgia patients, 91 controls) reported a lower-than-normal cytokine immune response among patients with fibromyalgia compared to controls. The FM/a Test appeared on the market within months of this publication, offered as an LDT claiming to diagnose the disease by documenting altered immunity as an explanation of symptoms experienced by fibromyalgia patients. The manufacturer suggests that the test diagnoses the disease, and markets the test for people undergoing a diagnostic workup of fibromyalgia.

A number of critiques of the study methodology appeared subsequently. These included concerns that the control group was inadequate and that the authors had not adjusted for other conditions known to change cytokine levels that may have been present at different rates in the fibromyalgia and control groups. The company failed to conduct clinical trials to verify that the immune system deficiency reported in the study was clinically relevant to fibromyalgia. Approximately 1,000 tests were sold for $744 apiece during the first month the test was offered.

Making an inaccurate diagnosis of fibromyalgia can be especially harmful when the patient may be suffering from a different, treatable condition with similar symptoms. Such conditions include Lyme disease and rheumatoid arthritis, for which effective therapies exist. Moreover, patients wrongly diagnosed with fibromyalgia may take unnecessary medications for that condition and be exposed to associated adverse effects."

I also know, because of the low accuracy rate, that most insurance companies won't cover the test, which is quite expensive.

Attachments

• The Public Health Case for FDA Oversight of LDTs 110915(2)_508ed.pdf
    521.7 KB · Views: 44
Thankyou for that info arachnerrainbow. ��

I asked my ruemotologist about the test on my last visit, my insurance won't cover it, she was skeptical and questioned the need as everything else has been ruled out, I'm responding (somewhat) to treatment and she's already diagnosed me!!! You better believe if I had known what fibromyalgia was 5 years ago and there was a test, I would have insisted every hypercondriac accusing doctor run the d*** thing on me then shoved the results in they're "I can't figure it out do you must be crazy" noses!!!

I asked my ruemotologist about the test on my last visit, my insurance won't cover it, she was skeptical and questioned the need as everything else has been ruled out, I'm responding (somewhat) to treatment and she's already diagnosed me!!! You better believe if I had known what fibromyalgia was 5 years ago and there was a test, I would have insisted every hypercondriac accusing doctor run the d*** thing on me then shoved the results in they're "I can't figure it out do you must be crazy" noses!!!

Well it seems it's kind of a controversial test any way according to what I've read so far. It would be nice if they did come up with one and soon. Your last comment made me chuckle.
And thank you for the welcome Eyesup, much appreciated.
:D

Wow, so there is a test that can actually serve to diagnose fibro?! That is amazing, too bad it costs that much!!!! I think that price tag would make it impossible for most of us to get it :( I'd personally pass it... is not like I need a test that is that expensive to prove i have fibro. But I guess for someone who is not so sure and needs a clear answer and has the money to spend...

I am sceptical about going for a blood test for fibromyalgia. It is not an autoimmune condition and antibodies specific for the condition might not be detected unless the underlying cause is a bacterial infection. Recent and effective methods being researched on include brain scans. Fibro is actually a syndrome and it takes time for a proper and conclusive diagnosis to take place. On the face of it, allodynia and chronic pain, morning fatigue and insomnia are good pointers of fibro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back