Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
US
State
IL
I'm fairly new to all of this, was diagnosed with Fibro back in Nov. My doctor put me on Lyrica 300 mg a day, Cymbalta, and at my request put me on Flexiril to help out my night and morning pain/stiffness. I'm also taking 440mg of Naproxen OTC twice day because I noticed less pain with it. Near the end of December I was noticing more pain and stiffness, specifically in my back, shoulder, and hips. So I found an old prescription I had of Ultram and decided to try that. I was taking 1 pill 4x a day and noticing no relief, in fact nothing whatsoever. I have read a lot of people use it for breakthrough pain and it works so I decided to try 2 pills 4 x a day. Still nothing and unfortunately got up to 3 pills about 3 times a day. That's when I stopped and gave in and said this isn't working.

So I scheduled an appointment for next week with my doctor about increasing the Lyrica and finding a possible medication that will help with pain relief. I guess what I'm asking is just to see what has worked for others. I know in the past hydrocodone has helped me w/ pain of surgeries and injuries, but not sure if my doctor will prescribe that. Just wondering what's good and what to stay away from.

Big hugs sent your way peme6040.
I take oxycodone(semi synthetic opioid)when needed (like this week), the full blown synthetic opioid mess me up. Dont like taking it but its the one pill I know will work as long as I detox from it every couple of months. That way I keep the dosage low and not chronically increasing. Your in pain, demand your doctor to give you something for it. Do not accept NO for an answer. It is your right. To each his own on preference, you are unique and unfortunately trail & error are the only way to really find out..Good luck on you journey.

welcome and I feel your pain. its good your here and asking theses questions.

First id like to say onward gave you good advise. watch your doses and trial and error.

your question: guess what I'm asking is just to see what has worked for others.: the gabapintin (gabby) seams to work for some and not for others. Lyrica is a form for gabby and is much more expensive and has very bad side effects. gabby is much cheaper. their is a drug called gralise its time released gabby.$354 per month. these drugs are nerve blockers. designed for seizure patients.

Hydrocodone is for cuts like from surgeries or outside the body pain.(per my GP) i forced my doctor to give me a large dose and she did. the stuff did not work as she told me it wouldn't. it's for cuts. she is also no longer my GP as the drugs got to high for her license. forcing her to give me the drugs only added to her rejection.

Flexiril: a muscle relaxer. muscles is what sends the message to the brain to send pain to that area. less messages sent= less pain. thats why you see relief from your pain. thats why they prescribe us nerve blockers, to block these messages.

Breakthrough pain:
For years i did not know what this meant so i used it for everything under the sun to convince my doctors. I was told by a doctor and a cancer drug manufacturing rep what it meant. heres how they explained it to me. as im on Morphine for my pain they used it as an example. the Morphine is supposed to give you pain relief to a certain pain level. my doctor and I both agreed this would be a level 2. once your pain breaks through the Morphine level 2. it is called break through pain. Please talk to your doctor about an acceptable pain level. this helps a lot when trying to get the drugs you need. i dont have cancer but due to my documentation and my agreement on pain level. the doctor got me on the Subsys meds (cancer meds for people that are dieing per the doctor). as she told me on Friday, im doing you a faver to get you on this med. its very dangerous and can kill you on any dose no matter how long you have been taking it. she told me i Trust you not to abuse it.(documentation and monthly drug tests). yup i still take it cause it works. if it kills me, ive come to terms with that.

please document your daily pain levels 1-10. 10 being as i call it tippy toe pain and when and what you are taking. dont think the doctor remembers what your on, cause he/she sees many patients per day. they dont read your chart. you have to give the meds time to work(weeks) before your doctor will believe you. if you have this documentation this will help you get the meds. remember its NOT a right to see a doctor its a privilege.

you dont want to have the doctor think your here for the drugs and your going to sell them on the street. he wont give them to you and remember he puts his license on the line with every dose each one of his patients take.

try what you feel is safe and working for you. not what works for others.

do research, learn and grow. and most importantly make informed decisions based on your research.

stay well and may you have many good days ahead of you.

Well welcome to the site firstly.i have had fibro for years now and I'm still on a small amount of pain relief compared to others. I take codeine and paracetamol twice a day or tramadol .now I do go up to six a day if needed. But for me walking my dog is the best way for me to get rid of the stiffness in the am.ive learnt buy night time the stiffness is only helped with a hot bath and rest.what ever codeine is used for it works for me. I'm also on amitripoline for nerve pain and to help me sleep.ive not tired gabby yet but I'm sure I shall one day ,however I also have essental tremors so that treated with nerve blockers to. But there staying in the cubroads till I have to use them ,stubborn sod I no.
As already said its a suck it and see, what works for one won't work for others.fibro is not like toothache where everyone can use the same pill and stop the pain.if u are mobile stay that way if u can because trust me sitting around just makes it worse.swimming helps some walking helps some stretching help some,it will take time but u will get there ,and until u do we are always here to help x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back