Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
US
State
dorset
Hi all :) I have only just been diagnosed (2 weeks ago) with fibromyalgia, and to be honest I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around and accepting it.
For the last few years I've had ongoing hip and leg pain following a car accident and numerous tests have shown no answers, leading to it being labelled 'muscular'. In the first couple of months the pain was much worse but it eased over time and would play up more if I overdid things.
As time went on I also started experiences other symptoms that I assumed were unrelated; rashes, chest pressure, muscle spasms,fevers, dizziness, pain in other joints, headaches...the list is extensive! These symptoms would come and go and the doctor found no cause in general bloodtests and chalked it up as anxiety 😐
Anyway, a few weeks ago everything flared up at once and the pain in nearly all my joints was unbearable. I went back to a different gp and she was great, after ruling out arthritis she pieced it all together and diagnosed fibromyalgia. ..
So here I am, relieved to finally have a diagnosis, frustrated it all seems so vague, scared, angry and learning the hard way that pretending it doesn't exist will only make it worse...
I'm a mum of 3 with a physically demanding job as a holistic/massage therapist and I have no idea how to reach the state of "I have fibromyalgia, fibromyalgia does not have me"

If you made it this far- thank you :) it's nice to be able to say all this to people who get it, because so far I don't think anyone 'gets' it, which isn't surprising when it really doesn't make sense to me either!
Tor x

Hi Tor, Welcome,

I am in the UK too
Glad you found us and a doctor who pieced it all together. Fibro is often triggered by a trauma and you will in time amongst the chaos you feel now find a new you.

Does it at present affect your ability to work at your job which sounds physically demanding.

We all have it to different degrees and many people do continue to work and others find they can't or have to do less hours or something easier on the body.

Listen to your body...repetative movements cause those muscles to tire and hurt. Mix up how you spend your day and incorporate rest periods.

I bought a book by Claudia Marek a first year with fibromyalgia...its very comprehensive and makes sense of lots of what you are feeling in your body and mind right now.

Full of tips and information covering all the symptoms treatments self help etc.

If you have a pain clinic at Poole or Bournemouth Hospital they are the gateway to other therapies.....you already have such a holistic background you must also be very self aware.

Take Care

I have had fibro since 2007 but am older than you so no young children...I hope you have support....if not open up to your family and if they are willing let them help and give you a break or anything that gives you a bit of rest time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back