Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
UK
State
anywhere
We have had a thread about Useless drugs lately.

How about anyone chipping in with Drugs that help them for pain and sleep or any other fibro symptoms.

My energy levels are slightly better now after a few weeks of a multivitamin every day.

Pain: looking for answers without side effects. Digesic worked for me (found 3 tabs in my old drugs box) but doc won't prescribe it due to strict guidelines and red tape. "Addictive due to its euphoric qualities" she said!!

Sleep: looking for answers about pain relief because that's what keeps me awake.

I've tried pretty much every drug prescribed for FM. At this point I use excersize to keep me moving. My sleep has always been a problem. I don't sleep for more than 90 min at a time. Imovane helps. Oxycodone is used at bedtime because the pain not only keeps me awake but interrupts my sleep as well. Heating pads also aids with some pain relief.

I also take vit D, multi B complex and B12 injections IM for Pernicious Anemia. I also taken Iron as well.

The Cymbalta appears to be working! I take 60mg, and now that I'm taking it with my dinner in the evening the nausea as more or less disappeared and it might even be working better. I've gone almost 2 weeks without any significant pain (knock on wood). Still some side effects, but nothing of big concern. It has also done wonders for my anxiety and general mood.
The only other thing that has helped my pain in the past is Percocet (low-dose oxycodone). It would knock me out, but I'd sleep well and wake up feeling fine. My doctor is currently unwilling to prescribe opioids though (understandably) so am trying to find other options for the bad days, even just something that will let me sleep soundly.
Muscle relaxants help slighly, if just to loosen up really tight spots.

I also take B12, D, Calcium/Magnesium daily, Iron occassionaly (should take it a couple times a week at least but I forget), and take probiotics and digestive enzymes. The B12 and D helped me get through the winter without the SADs this year, and the Cal/Mag is helping my twitchy muscles.

Pegleg84 thats good news a med that's working for you :)

B12 is a must, since it is important for energy levels and healing of the body. Though, do not expect this to be the wonder drug - I went from being deficient for many years to having excellent blood results, and sadly have not felt any difference physically or mentally. But many people do, so it is a must for everyone.

Same thing with all vitamins really - most of us probably are too exhausted to follow a healthy lifestyle, making sure we eat the healthy foods, get out in the sun, exercise etc, so taking in extra multi vitamins and minerals seems like a must-do with fibro.

I've tried all the drugs for fibro, none have fixed the problem, so the best drug that helps is - stress management and relaxation, if you ask me. I wish that mental state came in a capsule (some can argue that it does, but no, a xanax/ativan etc. is not a long term fix :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back