DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2014
Country
US
State
WA
Hello group,

I was diagnosed this past October with Fibromyalgia and Interstitial Cystitis (IC) I am taking a medicine for my IC that seems to work ok but I am having problems with medicine my dr has tried prescribing for my Fibromyalgia. I am allergic to most narcotics so I have tried Effexor, Cymbalta, and Gabapentin being the most recent. All 3 of the medication side effects have made me feel yucky and worse when I take them so my dr takes me off of them. I am having a rough time with the fibromyalgia even though I try and stay active and work full time but have had some flares. I need something for relief...any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help... this girl needs to feel better soon. :(

I am glad to hear you are able to work. I was laid off and should be starting a new job new week after 4 months of trying to get a new job. I know 2 jobs rejected me because of my condition. I have not only Fibro, but at times, my neck bones get out of wack and my back muscles have to be reworked. I hope I can keep this job that will hopefully start in a week. I don't know if you have either of these, but can you put a heating pad on your desk chair (cover it up with a light blanket so it is not noticeable or set up something that can hold a good cloth cover type Ice pack. Not one of those hard block kind. I have mine forever but did see these cloth types in CVS and picked up another as they are hard to find. ( if your company has a refrigerator-freezer). I can't take any of those meds either. I take Aleve, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have been told to try 2 Aleve every 12 hours. I tried that and I felt terrible. So back to only 1-1/2 Aleve on the onset or just before I have to go somewhere. I live on a heating pad and ice pack, alternating of course. But when I am in serious trouble, I have a Spine MD (not a chiro crack). He has given me acupuncture in the back bad spots. Also, do you have a tense hand held "machine" I use to wear the pads on my back and keep the control under my blouse and in my pants pocket and run it throughout the day. Look it up if you don't have one. I have two different ones. these helped me when I was on the other job. I am now having problems with my shoulders hurting and living off of iceyhot. Today I am picking up a cream for inflammation for my shoulders. Something not going thru your liver. Hope these items help you. I just hope I can keep this new job. worst part, I will be up front in reception area, whereas my other job I had my own office and made a lot more money, but for now I will take anything. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi erinlealu, Has your doctor tried tramadol for your pain? It is a non-narcotic pain prescription which I have been on for over 5 years. It works well for me for the all over body ache (been hit by a mack truck feeling). A lot of people on the forum are on this drug. I haven't had any side effects. When I first started taking it I felt a little dizzy but I think it was more just plain old anxiety from dealing with the discomfort of fibro. If you eat a little something with it when you first take it and drink fluids, I think you will be fine.

I do have a friend who is very sensitive to all medications so you may just need to keep trying with your doctor until you find one that works. I am also on the generic for Zoloft with no side effects.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend massage (if being touched doesn't make your pain worse)...otherwise, nice long soaks in a warm bath, heating pads, and whatever muscle balm rub that you like. There are lots of Epsom salt and muscle pain bath soaks at the local drug stores and wal mart.

I was working full time until the end of 2013. I resigned due to some elder care issues with my mother. While I was working I managed to get through each week by resting on the weekends and listening to my body. I planned on going back to work mid year but am having issues with fatigue and pain so I am also trying to find the right tweak on my meds so that I can work again. Money is a good thing...LOL!

We are all in this together on this forum and I so appreciate the support from the group....take care of you!

Yes I'm on tramadol with paracetamol .its a live saver do ask your Dr and try them .

jKerner59 I have to tell u tramadol is a narcotic med .here in the uk its under the controlled drugs section ,it's the lesser of the narcotics its ture . And I googled to make sure before I opened my mouth hehe

Erin, I too am allergic to many meds.
For me its the preservatives that give the meds The expiration date. I tried the tremadol and had allergic reaction.
My pain mgt doctor just put me on subsys. Its a spray under tounge fentenyal product. She got with manufacturing rep and give it to me for free for the rest of my life. 2 months on it no reaction,works great. Glad I don't have to pay for it. One months supply shows $2600 on box. I'm on a very low dose (200mcg per dose). Its designed to treat break Through pain. Meaning break through the level of morphine. Morphine helps me stay at level 2 pain. My dose is low 45mg a day.
I have to tell you its for cancer folks. I don't have cancer but my pain mgt doctor gets it for me due to in have fibro lupus I n my skin(the biggest organ in the body ), arthritis in lower back and neck due to disc problems and sfn small fiber neuropathy. All have no cure and are very painful. As you have allergies the manufacturers may pay for you as well.
Please get with your doctor and check into subsys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back