Not open for further replies.

angiei

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
pa
Hi everyone! I'm 45 years old. Been working as a veterinary nurse for 26 years-16 of them in a very stressful fast paced environment. Pains started about 6 months ago. Always in different areas initially and I just thought, I pulled something. Pain has been progressing and more focused-lower back, hands, hips. Went to my orthopedic doctor first. He took rads, said I had a little OA in my hip and put me on Mobic and PT. PT helped a bit, Mobic lessened the pain. My mom has fibromyalgia and in talking with her, realized more of my symptoms sounded like fibro or auto immune. Went to her rheumy. My sed rate is 22, all other blood tests normal. Was waiting to have my follow up appt. with him to discuss results and then the sh*t hit the wall. Work was uncontrollably stressful and my favorite dog died (she was my heart). I tried to struggle through as best I could (I'm on my feet 8 hours a day, bending, lifting and restraining animals), but realized as my doctor said, I need to take it easy. Sat down with my boss, his associate and the nursing supervisor. Told them what was going on. Like all normal, they don't understand. Then the hospital administrator said she needs to know my limitations to cover them in case of a workmans comp claim. This stuff makes me feel more stressed thus causing more pain. I told them I am just being diagnosed. I called the doctor yesterday and said, you need to tell me what's going on, cause I am in so much pain, I can hardly get out of bed. He wanted to put me on Tramadol. I was on that once before and it reacted with my Zoloft. He never called me back! More pains today-shoulder burning, neck , muscle spasms, arms. I took 2 of my mom's 5mg pred. Hoping this helps. So right now I'm going thru the-they think I'm just lazy, I hate that I can't do what I used to, I think I'm going crazy, how to get thru this phase. Came on this forum to get insight and support. Thanks for reading! Any advice would be greatly appreciated-esp with the work stuff!

Hi Angiei, I am where you are as well. I have some days that are good and think it was a mistake and over do, then bam, need to be in bed type pain. I also am a nurse. I have had to cut my hours to next to nothing but so far, my employer has been pretty understanding and has helped to find a position that I can manage. I so can relate to feeling like people think you are lazy and you are making it up. I guess I have to be my own advocate and listen to my body-believe me when I say I do not always practice what I preach! I hope you can get some help with your work situation-perhaps a FMLA set up so if you need to take a day off it cannot be held against you? Today, I was about to go to the cupboard for some old Lortab I was hurting so bad and knew it wouldn't help but just wanted to be out so I could get some relief. I called my mom and complained and cried to her which kind of helped a little haha! I was able to lay down with my heating pad and finally fell asleep for awhile and now feel somewhat better! I think it is just a matter of trying lots of different things to see what works for you. Hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back