Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
NL
State
NL
So yeah, my IBS has been acting up again. When I come to think about it... IBS is indeed a really tricky and weird, because this annoying disease doesn't even show in a colonoscopy or anything, so if you are not seeing a good doctor who knows what he is doing, then you might never know why you feel so awful.

I was diagnosed with this when I was just a teen, and ever since the pain and bloating has gotten worse. Yup, I get check ups and all I normal, at least with my colon! Kinda frustrating, don't you think? How a disease that causes so much trouble can't be diagnosed so easily.

My Irritable Bowel stems from gall bladder removal at age 11, stressful home-life growing up, and Fibromyalgia. Stress even now with all my health problems and raising my son as a single parent, who has ADHD/ODD and Autism. Every day is hard and stressful, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Hope you feel better soon.

I didn't realize that I had IBS trouble until my doctor told me that's what it was. I mean, I was going to the bathroom a lot and had issues, but it was normal. My gut has felt that way most of my life, so I didn't understand that I wasn't supposed to feel those things regularly. I understand now that my symptoms have gone down substantially. My doctor's focus is in nutrition. He explained that starch, grain, and very fibrous hard-to-digest vegetables are what cause it for me. Cutting out all those things cleared up a ton of my issues. I'm surprised by vegetables, but they cause so much havoc in my gut. They're difficult to break down in the stomach, so they get to the gut not fully digested. I can tolerate asparagus, cucumber, artichoke, spinach, and kale, but I have to be super careful with everything else. Starchy vegetables like potatoes are totally off limits for me. They're the worst. And with grain, again, it's because it's hard for my body to digest. I have allergies to corn and wheat, but other grains are still rough for me.

Also, I thought IBS was only caused by high fructose corn syrup. I did a lot of research on corn syrup in school (due to my allergy to corn, I wanted to know why it was used in everything.) I came across several studies about how corn syrup causes IBS. So it just got stuck in my head that people with IBS eat corn syrup. So when my doc said I had IBS, my first reaction was, "But I can't eat corn!" It occurred to me then that as a teenager I never bothered to look to see what else causes IBS, and I just got it stuck in my head that it was only corn syrup.

I'm sorry you're suffering, though. Would you consider getting a colonic irrigation? I had never heard of one until my doctor handed me off to his nurse, who gave me one. That was a weird experience, especially since I wasn't mentally prepared to have a nurse stick a tub in my butt. But the end result was RELIEF. Just to give you an idea of why my gut was aching so much, let's just say I lost several pounds from it. Now I look forward to colonics whenever I go in! (Strange, I know.)

Oh wow.... thanks a lot for sharing. I think deep down I know why my GI issues are so bad right now... I blame it on my diet mostly. Today a doctor nagged me because I don't take meds to treat IBS! To be honest I'm not good at the management of this disease in particular, I don't think pills are the answer at all, I know I need to change my diet and I'm actually taking small steps towards that! Not easy tho... but I'm proud to say I consume way less sugar than before! Giving up starchy foods will be hard, specially veggies, but I might be able to do it sooner or later.

As for the colonic irrigation.. I'd love to get one, lol. I heard about them and they do sound wonderful, specially when you have weird IBS episodes! Sadly not sure I can find this over here! Not sure my insurance would cover that either to be honest :( Btw...do you ever get nausea?

My Irritable Bowel stems from gall bladder removal at age 11, stressful home-life growing up, and Fibromyalgia. Stress even now with all my health problems and raising my son as a single parent, who has ADHD/ODD and Autism. Every day is hard and stressful, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Hope you feel better soon.

Wow, I actually had my gallbladder removed a few years ago and ever since it seems my IBS and GI issues are worse and worse. I wonder if the gallbladder is really connected? I mean, some doctors deny it, but I really think the fact we no longer have a gallbladder surely makes a HUGE difference, no?

I had IBS symptoms due to anxiety from my late teens into adulthood. Luckily, when I was put on Savella for pain, my IBS symptoms disappeared. Used to get diarrhea everytime I went out to eat at a restaurant, but now I very rarely get any kind of intestinal upset. Savella not doing that much for the pain but getting rid of the IBS works for me.

That's awesome! Sadly IBS can go both ways, it does for me... when isn't diarrhea, then it's constipation, but most of the time I'm just normal; neither constipated nor having the runs. This isn't bad enough to interfere with my life that much, what really bothers me tho is the damn bloating. Did you experience bloating as well? Did the Savella work to treat that as well?

I was diagnosed with IBS (but then referred to as gastritis and spastic colon) when I was in my mid-20's, <mumble> years ago.

I seem to have my worst times when I have fatty meats, which sucks, as I'm a dyed in the wool carnivore. It tends to cause very loose stools.

Other times, I'll wake up in the middle of the night feeling as though I'm trying to pass a bunch of 1/4 inch gravel out my backside. It's a terrible feeling. Horrible constipation.

And other times, I have horribly painful cramping, and will bend over a pillow while I'm on the pot, just to try to make myself feel a little better while I'm trying to get rid of things. And then I have that terrible "no, you're not done" thing that my body pulls, and I'm back on the pot again.

I'll admit that I'm glad I have people with whom I can discuss this, because my family certainly wouldn't understand.

I know what you mean, for me the worst is the bloating. Lately I'm feeling more bloated than ever (more often), I blame it on the fact I might not be eating enough of the right meals. Do you feel worse when you spend a lot time without eating or when you eat very light meals?

I get a lot cramping and pain in that area lately, getting checked on august (colonoscopy), so hopefully all is ok. So I feel your pain!

I was actually amazed to read that IBS is linked to fibro! I didn't know a lot fibro sufferers also suffered from this, like having pain wasn't enough! LOL. I'm also glad I can talk about this with you guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back