Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2000
Country
US
State
Maine
I was diagnosed with FM in 2007 by my PCP. He has been treating me with different things over the last 7 years. We are doing Lyrica right now and for the most part it has helped, but I have been feeling worse and worse for the last 4 months or so. I am also prescribed muscle relaxer and oxycodone. And with he pain getting worse my PCP has decided to send me to a Rhuemy. I am not sure what to expect I am not sure how long it will take for me to get into one either.
I weather is cold where I live (Maine). It isn't just the cold it is really everything from about june on. What is a Rheumy going to do for me that my PCP can't? Will he prescribe meds?
Can anyone help me with this?
Thank you
Kirsten

I went to a rheumy once a few years ago. He just confirmed that I had fibro and said that my GP could handle the treatment .
I have been in a series of different medications over the last few years with nothing really that effective.
I am now in the process ( almost done) of coming off of everything except for Tramadol for as needed pain management . I most recently was in Effexor and Topomax.
The withdrawal has been a little challenging but not too bad. My thought ( and my Dr agreed ) is that I have had a steady stream of meds in my system for so long that a break would be good. I want to see what my body will do on its own.
So far I have discovered that some of what was making me feel worse was the medication itself. I seems to be much more clear headed and I find that I am able to focus better at work. My energy has increased some as well.
My pain however pretty much sucks! I am not sure if it's still from withdrawal or if this is how it's going to be now. I just finished the Effexor and will be done with the Topomax in early January .
My plan after that is to see a naturalpath. I am so tied of putting synthetic crap into my body and have it not help, then deal with all the side effects.
I chose to share this, because perhaps it is something that maybe you might consider as well?

Hi Kirsten,

I live in Maine as well. The cold is hard to take! But then again, so is the heat. I'm not sure what a rheumy will do additionally for you that your PCP isn't already doing S/he might run additional tests if you haven't already been through that gauntlet: rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, lyme, etc. Maybe try a different drug for Fibro like Cymbalta. You're already on Lyrica, which is one of the three meds the FDA has approved for Fibro. Many docs in Maine won't even prescribe oxy for Fibro...so you've got a leg up there. I take Cymbalta, Tramadol with tylenol, and trazadone for sleep. I also take Magnesium Malate and Vitamin D for supplements, and eat a diet free of chemicals and additives.

I also have osteoarthritis and that adds to my pain level as the weather gets colder and wetter.

I hope you find answers for why you are feeling poorly. You know, it might be something besides fibro. Take care and good luck. Hugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back