Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
IL
I don't know about anyone else, but this is the one thing I hate most about having Fibro. I have been unable to work for 6 years now and have zero income, no help from family and rely on the kindness of my boyfriend to take care of me. He's able to make sure food is put on the table, rent and bills are paid but that's it, he doesn't make much at all. Last year I wore shoes with holes in the bottom, tights with runners, socks and underwear falling apart and also had 1 outfit to wear in the Winter and 1 outfit for Spring and Summer.

I know this sounds shallow, but it really bothers me that I can't even afford to get a haircut or to dress myself and that friends see me in the same outfit everytime we go out. I'm embarrassed to be seen like this. It's tough

I really, really hope when I apply for disability I'm approved eventually. I can't live like this forever.

I understand where your coming from. I was out of work and living with a friend. My family sent $50 a month to help pay on medical bills. This disease robs people of friends, loved ones and jobs, etc..... I hope you can get help soon. Can you get food stamps or any other government help? I hope as you read around the forum you will gather some knowledge in pain management and other ideas for making a few dollars while you wait. I wish you the best of luck. :)

Hi there. I also understand where you're coming from. There's nothing shallow about wanting to feel and look good. I have extremely little (some months none) disposable income. Here are a couple things that I do now to keep my spirits and appearance up.

One way I keep up my wardrobe is by getting most of my "new" clothes and footwear from Goodwill or a local thrift shop. I don't go often, just when I need to replace something. I've also started mending clothes and darning socks again. Sometimes I will re-purpose a piece of clothing. The sleeves of an old worn sweater can make a great pair of leg warmers. We used to have a local thrift shop that closed last year that gave you all the clothes you could put in a paper grocery bag for $2.00. Maybe you have a local non=profit or church that does something like that around you. I also love hand-me-downs given to me by family and friends.

I've started cutting my own hair (it's short) with the help of a set of clippers and my niece to help trim the stray hairs I occasionally miss. It is certainly not like a visits to the salon in years past, but at least I look clean and neat!

I wish you well! Hugs.

No we all understand what u mean.but u no u can get some really good cloths in the second hand shops .insteed of going out with friends saves your penny's in a jar and then go shopping, I have some wonderful cloths no one would ever no where second hand .x

my heart hears you, my medical bills have buried us, I couldn't work if my life depended on it, I hate being a burden�� I agree with everyone on thrift stores...loved them even b4 "poverty". Craigslist is also great, you have to check it regularly and don't be afraid to look in the "free" section, you can actually have fun with it. You could also look for a student who needs a model for a hair cut you never know. I disagree with not going out with friends occasionally, if your like me you can do this pretty cheep and isolating yourself is the worst thing you can do. Keep your chin up, sounds like you have friend and a great boyfriend, more valuable then any material thing.
Gentle hugs.

I too understand how you feel. I had to quit working just over a year now. My husband and I are living off of his disability. We only have $100 a month to live on and that's after the rent. We do get food stamps and that really helps. The hard part for us is making sure we both have our meds covered. Mine are more than his. :( Just remember to be thankful for what you have because there are many that don't even have that. I try to remind myself of that everyday. Don't forget to tell him thank you from time to time. Even just saying "I love you" can really be a booster for him as well.
Gentle hugs to you.
Patti

Great advice, also, make sure if the meds you take can be (generic ). I was recently perscribe a lotion, I asked previously how exspensive it would be. When I checked with my Dr. He said " I'll make sure of it."
Sure enough, the pharmacy told me I would need to wait because, they had to order Generic.

I can relate to this. I went from being very independent to living with my dad at 34 years old. I haven't been able to work in almost two years. I've even tried selling my blood plasma, but can't due to an autoimmune disease I have. I definitely feel like a burden, and my dad is there to remind me if I forget it for a second.
I feel stuck and hopeless most of the time.

Not being able to dress yourself nicely is a big downer on an already injured self esteem, and has added to my personal isolation. I have been cycling through the same old clothes for so long, they are falling apart.
I just got my grandma's old sewing machine, so I'm going to try to fix what I have, and make new stuff from scraps. If i ever feel good enough to get to it.
Old Navy clearance rack is sometimes cheaper than thrift stores, if you have one by you, I've gotten pants for 50 cents before. So if you ever do get a little extra for clothes I'd suggest checking it out.
Also if you live near a sephora, they give you a free gift during your birthday month. It's not much, but it's something that makes you feel a little spoiled.
I quit cutting my hair. It's what I tell myself, to make me feel like I had a say in it, ha!
I keep trying to think of ways to make money, that doesn't require much physical work, from home, when I'm feeling okay enough to do it. What are we supposed to do?

I can definitely relate to this. I'm single, and although I am on disability, it's barely enough to cover the basic necessities, and that doesn't include replacement clothing or anything else that wears out or requires maintenance. I've been cutting my own hair for a few years now, and I've stopped communicating with most of my friends, because they just don't understand not having money for necessities, let alone outings, treats and trips. I'm tired of repeating the same information over and over, so I mainly keep to myself, with the exception of a few friends who understand.

It's good that you have your boyfriend for support and hopefully at some point you'll be approved for disability and that will improve your circumstances. When you are approved, the back pay will probably help you get caught up on things that you've fallen behind on, and maybe you'll be able to get yourself a few treats.

My heart goes out to you and wish you a quick recovery. Your condition has made you a dependent and you have to rely on your benevolent boyfriend. The cliche that disability is not inability should ring true to you. Before your disability benefits are approved, there are some things you can do for your self. Like finding out opportunities to volunteer yourself for medical research in clinically approved and safe human based trials. GPGP and SmithKline Beecham have such opportunities and you can check for them locally. Online sites like Fiverr can help you make some income by selling your talent.

I don't know about anyone else, but this is the one thing I hate most about having Fibro. I have been unable to work for 6 years now and have zero income, no help from family and rely on the kindness of my boyfriend to take care of me. He's able to make sure food is put on the table, rent and bills are paid but that's it, he doesn't make much at all. Last year I wore shoes with holes in the bottom, tights with runners, socks and underwear falling apart and also had 1 outfit to wear in the Winter and 1 outfit for Spring and Summer.

I know this sounds shallow, but it really bothers me that I can't even afford to get a haircut or to dress myself and that friends see me in the same outfit everytime we go out. I'm embarrassed to be seen like this. It's tough

I really, really hope when I apply for disability I'm approved eventually. I can't live like this forever.

I don't think this is shallow at all to be honest, quite the opposite as those are the basics of life, we need to have clothes to wear. I do wonder why you don't receive support from the government, from the state, if you are incapacitated to work you need to receive a pension right?

My heart goes out to you :( I know the feeling, I haven't been able to find a job like the one I lost almost two years ago. It can get so depressing, I really admire you for being so strong! And to be honest I don't think you are being shallow at all! Please keep us posted, I will be praying for you, so you get your disability approved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back