Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2005
Country
US
State
TX
There are a myriad of symptoms of Fibromyalgia and its related conditions. Each person is affected differently, with some experiencing symptoms that others may not have.

My big three symptoms are pain, fatigue, and brain fog. Of those, many would think that the worst would be the pain, but although the pain really interferes with my ability to participate in things I used to enjoy, the other two have had more of an overall impact on my life.

I've always prided myself in being able to physically push through any obstacle, no matter how huge. If I needed or wanted something and couldn't afford it, I'd get a second job, work overtime, or both. I would scrimp and do without, and save my money and put it towards a goal that was important to me. I've always been proud of my ability to do so.

I used to be able to walk for many miles, and used to swim daily. I would work out every day, in order to keep in shape, because being healthy and looking good were important to me. Those have gone by the way side, and I've learned to celebrate those days when I am able to make a brief To Do List and accomplish a few of the items on it, or take a short walk.

The fatigue often leaves me feeling very frustrated, because despite the fact that I am exhausted much of the time, things still need to be done. I'm no longer able to work longer hours or take on extra jobs make more money, so am not even able to pay others to do those things I can't do myself.

Another thing I have always prided myself on was my intellect. My brain was very sharp, and I was usually the person solving the issues in a group, the one people came to for solutions. These days, I often have difficulty holding a thought, and the puzzles I used to love now frustrate me and make me feel stupid.

Which symptoms affect you the most?

WarriorPrincess (what a majestic name), I really sympathise with your predicament. Such is life because even if fibro doesn't catch up with us, we will soon have to contend with the terminal disease that is life. The other side of strength is weakness. I don't know whether we share the same spiritual platform but I have come to realize one thing: God is made perfect in our weakness. I have come to focus on a higher power and future, a higher suppose in life and even the most daunting situation now seems dispensable. Wishing you quick recovery.

The brain fog was by far the thing that brought me to tears, I missed my active body but sometimes I realize that this must be what alztimers feels like except I'm aware I'm lost!!! I've litterly burst into tears because I couldn't articulate a simple thought. But then came the devistating pain, I wished I could forget! Remnant is right, God is at his greatset when we are at our weakest. Now if my brain could just remember how to post this!!!

Until now, I would only say that the pain is the only symptom that makes me cry sometimes, however it is just starting in my case, maybe I will start feeling more than pain in my muscles and everyting might become more serious than what it currently is.

The pain.

I am still active, do my best to do a little something every day and stretch because it does help. But weather changes are very painful...and I guess the fatigue comes in there too. Pain is bad first thing in the am...I have my coffee and wake up and it finds its settling point. I do some sort of activity, I work mornings, have a rest in the afternoon, cook supper...and I am finished - pain is worse, tired and sitting on my spot on the couch. I bought a bar stool to sit on when I need it in the kitchen to cook.

The fatigue I deal with by going to bed early and having that afternoon rest, the brain fog - I write a lot of lists. The pain is my limiting factor. The worse is lying in bed trying to get to sleep and waiting for the pain to settle down a bit.......then waking up repeatedly throughout the night, pretty much whenever I roll over.

Stiffness and fog.that soooo frustrating when u can't remember what u are talking about.and flu like ache all over.

To be honest, the worst symptom is always the one that is causing me problems right now.

But when I flare and all my symptoms are going crazy, I think the anxiety is the most difficult to control.

To be honest, the worst symptom is always the one that is causing me problems right now.

But when I flare and all my symptoms are going crazy, I think the anxiety is the most difficult to control.

Bwahaha, you are so right DK, the worst is what you have going at the moment!
anxiety (I'm knocking on wood) let up right after I got diagnosed, I'm not sure if it was the relief of Fineally an answer or if somehow the gabby is helping. Have you tried GABA and/or valerinan? I still take those when I'm feeling anxious or restless.

I'm having a bad day today (it seems to always be a bad day anymore) and my worst symptoms are always pain (specifically in the back and neck) and the headaches and strange anxiety that takes over. Fatigue hits me strangely as well...right after I eat dinner (almost every night), I can't keep my eyes open. It often happens to me right after I eat breakfast as well, but I have to fight it because I have to get moving in the morning. I agree about the anxiety though - it's difficult to control because I think I'm still trying to get used to all of this, and trying to understand what it is that's going on with my body...what it is I have to get used to for the rest of my life, you know?

Another affliction which is also searing in scope is dental pain especially when one has dental cavities. This problem intensifies during the cold season. Dental pain combined with fibromyalgia is a potent mix. I believe there are some who have experienced such problems. But when I used Dentamol to combat the dental pain, it subsided for an appreciable period.

Emma, I'm so sorry your having a bad day. You don't have to get used to this. In time you will find the things that help you minimize and or control your symptoms. There are people that recover and research is being done (not as much/aggressive as it should be) but people do recover and/or go into remission. It seams like this disease can't just be happy physically torturing us, it hits our psych just as bad. It truely stinks. But don't accept the bad as your fait. There are days that's easier said then done. On those days try to remember you are in survival mode, rest and build strength so you can fight another day. Your not living for today anymore, you are fighting to regain your happiness. Think of your stenght as a commodity (an allowance) spend it wisely so that you can earn and build more.
I'm not sure why, but eating seems to trigger my fatigue also. I've litterly fallen asleep at the table. Uhg. It makes dinner in bed a practical idea. I often avoid eating because of it.

Take care of yourself and I'm thinking of you.

Eyesup, your reply brought tears to my eyes - thank you. It's so nice to have a place to relate and speak to others who understand.

And I do hope you take your own advice! I don't like hearing that you avoid eating!! Isn't it strange that we both find that eating triggers the fatigue? How odd. I actually do eat in bed though haha!! Two birds, one stone.

Take care of yourself as well!!

IBS. NO question about it. For me it has been one of the hardest parts of this, because as if dealing with chronic pain wasn't enough... I also have to deal with IBS. IBS makes everything much much worse. Specially if it makes you get bloated often or even after eating foods that are not supposed to be triggers... I've what I call IBS crisis once or twice a year... it's hell, but lately my IBS has been worse :(

Trellum - I am RIGHT THERE with you!! IBS is terrible and constant with me as well...I honestly don't even want to get out of bed or put clothes on because my body feels so bloated and just...wrong. When you add everything up - the fibro, IBS, IC, etc. - it is just ridiculous! I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with all of that! I feel for you.

I've had anxiety for a lot longer than I've had fibromyalgia. I take Zoloft for it, and that has worked for me for many years.

I've noticed that when my fibromyalgia symptoms flare I feel anxiety like I did before I got treatment. It's a strong feeling of impending doom that is not related to anything that is actually happening to me. I think it is a sign that my neurotransmitters are messed up. Knowing that does nothing to relieve the feeling though.

I am used to dealing with stress - I just roll up my sleeves and get busy. Working toward a solution relives the stress. It really drives me nuts to have the anxious feeling when there is no problem to work on. Blech!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back