Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
South Dakota
Hello, I'm 27 and, after looking up the symptoms of fibromyalgia, I'm wondering if I may not be suffering from it. I also looked up some of the possible causes of fibro. I'll begin when the symptoms started, after I had a mRSA infection at the age of 22. The doctors surgically removed the infection, and my symptoms began almost immediately after I left the hospital. One possible cause, I saw, was physical injury or surgical operation.

Here is a list of my symptoms:

Chronic pain, especially in the hands, legs and feet. (This feels like constant aching and cramping).
Muscle twitching, also in the hands, legs and feet. It also occurs in my face, arms and back (Especially around the area where my infection was).
Random nerve fire (jolting, burning pain in random places, but most commonly in my toes).
Chronic fatigue. I have trouble staying awake during the day and find myself napping frequently, and still end up tired at the end of the day.
Insomnia. Originally, I attributed this to my falling asleep during the day so easily. This is why I'm posting so late right now. And, incidentally, I had a full day where I stayed awake from 7:30 AM to 12:30 AM before trying to go to bed.
Unrefreshing sleep. That is, when I am able to sleep, I wake up just as tired as when I went to bed.
Restless Leg Syndrom. I frequently have the urge to move my legs and it keeps me up at night.
Constipation. This is relatively new for me, so it might be from other causes.
Frequent chills or night sweats. I'm either freezing cold with no explanation, or I'm sweltering.
Unexplained, extreme weight loss. Since my symptoms started, I've dropped over 90 lbs. and I have made no noticeable changes to my diet or exercise routine.
Balance issues. I frequently find myself tipping over for no reason at all. It's especially difficult going down stairs.
Headaches. I wake up with, or develop splitting headaches at least one or two times a week.

While a lot of these I'm just learning can be symptoms of fibromyalgia, I've seen several doctors about the pain issues. A lot of them chalk it up to diabetes, which I was diagnosed with at 13. One doctor diagnosed the muscular pain as plantarfaciatis and we tried several non-addictive pain-relievers/anti-inflammatory drugs. None of these have worked, which leads me to believe that I may have fibromyalgia.

So my question is thus: As members of this community who have suffered with fibromyalgia, what are your opinions on these symptoms?

Well, they certainly sound like it, except for the muscle twitching perhaps? I have had facial twitches, but I believe that was a result of a medication I was on. Has any doctor looked at the big picture of your symptoms? If so, have they run a complete blood panel for autoimmune disorders?

Yes they sound like fibro my muscles twitch a lot.it drives me nuts.Fibro does not care what age u are .and most of what u say sounds like it to me . But see a dr only then will u go down the road of finding your answer .

Hi. I would be curious to know 1) where on your body did he do sugary 2$ did you aquire the infection while in the hospital for somethin else and 3) did they pump you full of anti biotics but no probiotics? I ask because I spent 21 days in the hospital and aquired a vusious mrsi infection. You do sound like fibro. Has anyone checked your "trigger points" yet? It's very possable you have virus induced fibromyalgia. Any physical falls or accidents?

You probably already know hit epsin salt baths help slot. I bought my heating pad an engagement ring and it's rarely out of my sight! Vitamen D and magnissium provide some relief to fibro Warriors. And for you I suggest a little extra magnissium to get you bowels going.

Does sound like fibro...mine started with fatigue but no pain in my late 20's with quite a lot of the symptoms added you describe in my mid/late forties.

Welcome here...hope it helps.

Eyesup you are funny bought your heat pad an engagement ring! lol

I have one could be going spare...maybe I will give it to my hot water bottle! Warm and snuggly but with no demands!

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I don't have regular internet access. To answer your questions Eyesup, the surgery was on the upper-left corner of my back. I mRSA infection was community acquired, not from the hospital. They did give me antibiotics, but they removed the infection by surgery. No probiotics that I can think of. Magnesium supplements didn't help much--my primary care provider prescribed that initially.

Thankfully, a friend of mine is going to help me get in to see a doctor next week to do blood tests. So thanks for your encouragement.

Symptoms many times are intermittent and it's hard to see what's happening.

Some good probiotics might help your gut, won't hurt. You can get a detox fiber supplement at health food store that draws fluid to the bowels, I don't know how much magnissium you tried and what type, but I have gone up to 1200 mg b4. (I use chelated).
You didn't say what type doctor your going to see. I hope it's one familiar with fibromyalgia as blood work usually just rules out other possabilities. To my knollege there is only one blood test for fibromyalgia and it is considered still in infancy stage. Very exspesive and most doctors either don't believe in it or haven't heard of it.
They should check your "trigger points" that combined with your symptoms and ruled out ither possabilities is the crappy norm!

Anyway, I have my fingers crossed for you that you get answers and relief with this doctor.

Checking my trigger points were "inconclusive". They are not using it much anymore. But definitely go for tests to rule out other things; Lupus, Lymne
, ME, etc.

These symptoms correlate with those of fibromyalgia. The problem with FM is that it is a syndrome and one is not able to pinpoint the particular symptomatology of the disease and attribute it to FM with certitude. If these symptoms are chronic or recurring, this is a good pointer. At the end of the day, diagnosis is a drawn out process and its not a one off lab test though more advanced techniques are being developed. A timely advice is to stick through the thick and thin of it by concentrating on natural remedies.

Rualchick, I'm just curious, I was diagnosed just last December after I can't count the doctor/hospital visits and one of the first things the ruemotologist checked was my trigger points. No one had checked them before despite me coplaining of sore spots. Why do the no longer check them? I can't know if someone had pushed on them 5 years ago if I would have jumped but I know now I do. Are they insignificant because not everyone has them or because they could be indications of something else?

Eyesup,

The reasons the trigger point test is being fazed out is because it is not conclusive, some have less, some more, some not at all in the usual places. It also depends if one is having a good or bad day. The day after I was tested I'm sure there would have been much more. Anyway, the push is new research ,and too many times the trigger points end up being inconsistent.

Inconclusive tests are something even worse, because we are sick, but we don't have an "official" diagnose.

TBone -

Please ask your doctor to test you for all Thyroid abnormalities. There are special blood tests that go beyond the generic "Thyroid" test. I've been learning about how closely related the Tyroid and Fibro may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back