Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
01/2017
Country
US
State
pa
My symptoms started with fibromyalgia back in August. I had random pains here and there not enough to make me go to a doctor. It has slowly gotten worse I finally went to my family doctor the beginning of December. She ran all kinds of blood work and sent me to a rheumatologist to also-ran blood work. The rheumatologist diagnose me with fibromyalgia. I am literally now not sleeping hardly at all I have muscle spasms all night long and my legs and my arms and during the day it is instead of a 9 on the Pain Scale it is A7. I am a mail carrier I work for the post office which makes this even more difficult for me. The rheumatologist prescribe me Tramadol to help me sleep for the pain it did not work at all and she has me coming back in two months I want to scream. I just called there and told them the Tramadol is not working and what else could we do. They called me back and told me just to stop taking it and prescribed me nothing else am I expecting help to quickly should I be made to wait two months. I feel like crying all the time this is unbearable please someone give me some advice thank you Marcy

I suggest you call the doctor again. Make sure you are totally calm and remain calm, soft-spoken, polite, and respectful throughout the conversation. Do not allow emotion to come into it. Tell them that you have a very physically demanding job and that your pain is reaching a level where you fear that you may not be able to work. This would, you tell them, impact your ability to make a living and remain employed. Tell them you need to see a doctor sooner than 2 months from now if it is at all possible. Let them know you want to be put on a cancellation list. Tell them you are willing to come in very early or very late, whatever is needed in order for you to see someone and get help.
If that is ineffective, then, if the pain gets too bad go to urgent care or the emergency room. You may or may not get help there. But you will be on record as having gone there due to the pain level you have, and you can tell the doctor's office that when you call again.
Remember that you have to stay calm when you are talking to them! If you get emotional at all, angry or tearful or anything, they will not take you seriously and will just shuttle you off as a psychological problem. Good luck.

I'm so sorry your dealing with this. I hope you have doe as sunkacola suggested and called your doctor. If you have to call every morning to get into a cancelation spot. But truthfully the doctor should be able to call in something else. I take gabby (gabapentin) it takes a couple of weeks b4 you start getting some relief plus they start you on a low dose so waiting two months could mean three months b4 you'll know if that works.
There is also a topical called Voltaren...it was a God send for me. It is by prescription in the US and apparently not something commonly prescribed for fibro pain but I would strongly suggest you see if you can try it until something else kicks in.

Hi Marcy.

I hope you're having a better day today? It sucks having to deal with this every single day and it feels like there's no end in sight. Did you manage to get a sooner appointment? I had a similar problem, the NHS here is so under pressure with nowhere near enough clinic appointments available, my rheumatologist is already booked up for the whole year! I was told I had to wait until April for a diagnosis but I went to see my GP who wrote to them to request a sooner appointment as I'm struggling so much just now. I now have an appointment on 13th February which feels like a lifetime away but is a bit better than April! Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Take care

Lou

I'm on gabbipintin and tramadol.both together seem to work well for me.also paracetamol help boost the tramadol.so some times when my pain is bad I will have paracetamol and tramadol.cheak with your dr first of course.never try anything before you ask your dr .x

Thank you so much for the great advice. It helps a lot to talk to other people who are feeling the same way. I cancelled my appointment with the doctor that I have been seeing. And scheduled an appointment with another doctor. I still have to wait 1 month but just for my State of Mind I would rather see someone else. I wish everybody the best. Thank you Marcy

Wow! No way. !!!!! Personaly 20 to 30% of the time im in bed or on the couch. Depending on stress. STRESS IS A KILLER FOR ME. Working for the post office is stressful. Did you talk to your Dr. ? Or reception ? Or Nurse? 'I would go ahead and make an appointment asap. You have a JOB. TELL THE RECEPTIONEST ITS FOR A FOLLOWUP, THATS ALL THEY NEED. I TOO HAVE BEEN IN TEARS AND THOUGHT OF A TRIP TO THE ER. GOOD LUCK.

Hi Marcy,

I'm so sorry u have to wait that long for an appointment.

The drs don't understand the level of pain Fibromyalgia can cause.So they don't consider it urgent. It's sad.

There's always over the counter Advil, if that is something u can take to hold u over. It might help your body pain.

Warm showers can also help calm down the muscles.
And try to decrease your stress as much as u can.
Although working for Post office might be difficult lol

If you can't get an earlier appointment try to find another one in your area that has seen fibromyalgia patients.

That's the hardest part, finding a dr that will help and understand Fibromyalgia.A lot do not have experience, but I hope u find the right one and decrease your pain

Sagey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back