Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2012
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi everyone, Does anyone have trouble walking? I was told that I have a syndrome now with my knees. The pain he told me is going to be bad because of Fibromyalgia. Does anyone have to use a cane because your scared of falling. I feel like my knees can't hold me.

Wow! That sounds terrible! So sorry you're feeling that way. No, I only have trouble walking when I'm so overly tired that I can't support myself, and with CFS, that is somewhat often. I can still walk during a fibro flare, but it isn't comfortable. It doesn't make me feel weak as much as just in pain.

I have trouble walking at night sometimes and my knees will hurt so bad I will limp during the day. At night I just hold on to the walls until I get to bed. It comes and goes too.

I don't use a cain but I fall a lot. Even though I have osteoperosis/osteopenia I've never broken anything. I'm lucky, in that regard. My knees aren't the main issue, though; they do give me trouble me times. I fell directly on my knee last year and it took months to heal. I swore I did something bad to it but alll tests came back negative. Eventually, the pain just went away. I'm not afraid of falling and have accepted the fact it's inevitable. Just like breaking a bone will be, at some point, too.

I have trouble walking too, I have bersitis in both hips ontop of my fibro. I find a nice hot bath helps if I use epsom salts and soak for a good half hour or more.

I have problems walking. I can walk normally for about a block, but then my calves and quads start to burn like they used to back pre-fibro when I was in athletic training and I'd be doing weightlifting workouts to "total muscle failure" (the kind where you do reps at a lower weight but do them until you literally can't do another lift and your muscles are shaking). Now with the fibro, I can push myself through the burn of my second city block, but by the third, I can feel the burning muscles start to cramp. If I keep trying to walk without resting, I end up looking like Frankenstein, I think.

It's the same with any muscle group I use--I can blow dry half my hair before my arm muscles start to burn. If I keep going, the burn turns to cramps. I can smile at a party or at work for a few minutes, but then my face muscles start to burn. When I rest any of these muscles, they like to keep going with rolling cramps (fasciculations) that make it look like some alien creature is crawling around under my skin. It's kind of amusing to watch, in a gotta-laugh-or-I'd-cry kind of way.

If you are having trouble with your knees, I suggest you consider yoga. I was having problems with my knees and back but after a month of yoga, I began to see a difference. If yoga does not suit you, try stretching every morning before getting your day started and soaking in epson salt at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back