DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2000
Country
US
State
North Carolina
Hi Everyone,
I am new here. I have been dealing with Fibro since the late 1990's. I was taking Elavil for sleep for years. I was sleeping well with it but still having pain. About a year and a half ago my Doc took me off of it so I could take Zoloft in the day. I also suffer from bad PMS and depression. I tried Ambien but found myself wide awake at 3am and a Zombie all day. Not good. Then he switched me to Restoril 15mg. It seemed to work well for me but had to up the dose to 30 mg after a few months. I am currently taking 30mgs of Restoril with 300 mg of Gabapentin, 10 mg of Flexeril along with melatonin and Valerian root. I sleep pretty well most nights BUT my pain and exhaustion has gotten soooo much worse in the past year and a half. I have also recently developed chronic pain in my ear (no infection) and pain in front of my ears and frequent tension headaches. My Dr says I have TMJ now too. JOY.

I have read numerous articles which suggest that the Restoril reduces time spent in deep sleep and am wondering if that is why I have gone downhill so badly. Or perhaps it is because I am getting older. I will be 44 this January. I have not really found a good DR in my area who is an expert on Fibro. No medication I have tried has helped me much at all. I do not have the luxury of relaxing all day. My days can be quite physical and I feel like I am living in hell.

I would love to hear what others are using to get a good night's sleep. What combos have worked for you?

PS. I cannot go back to the Elavil as I get really bad RLS from it now and I tried Trazadone. By itself it was horrible, up and down all night and when I tried it with the Gabapentin I woke up in the middle of the night with a tremendous headache.

TY

I take amitriptylin for 4 year side effect include day time fatigue. For the pain i suggest devil claw . It help ease the pain.

I take trazodone and flexeril at night. It usually works pretty well for me and I don't feel sleepy during the day. Sounds like trazodone is not an option for you though.

I'm also careful about caffeine intake. No caffeine after noon.

I have had trouble finding a medicine that doesn't make it super hard for me to wake up - having a young child I want to be able to wake up quickly and easily if needed.

Amitriptylin worked really well for me for a little while - but then I started noticing that my OCD symptoms were returning fiercely. I struggled horrible with OCD in my late teens/early twenties and was very sick - mentally and physically due to it. I made the decision to live with my insomnia than have the OCD get out of control again.

I did cut out caffeine for a long time but have been having some caffeinated drinks again lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back