Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello everyone,

Seeing how we're new to this disease (husband diagnosed in June '06), we still find where we have many new questions each and every day. Or, at least I do. My husband says he feels like he's under a microscope because I'm always watching him and everything he does. I keep looking for new symptoms, etc. I can't help myself. I just dread the disease progressing to the point of where he's unable to function on his own.

Anyways, my question today.....he said yesterday his back was really hurting him and also, his stomach just felt funny. Now, I know every symptom is NOT going to be from als. But, just wondering - anyone else with als have back pain? I told him that maybe he might have a kidney infection or just pulled a muscle. The pain was in the lower part of his back.

The thing I notice the most about him lately is the fatigue. He is always so tired early in the evenings anymore. He use to stay up very late, but lately - he falls asleep so early. Anyone know what causes the fatigue? He takes a multivitamin (GNC Mens Mega), B12, bee pollen, Aquazon, Vit C, Vit E, Seaveg, Beta Caratene. Any suggestions for any other vit, herb, etc. that helps with the energy levels?

Thanks for any advice, suggestion, etc.

Patty

Patty,

I am sorry you are going through this. The fatigue is part of the als. My husband used to be very active and on the go all the time. The fatigue he has not makes it difficult for him to do what he used to do. We have learned to take rest times throughout the day and slow down the pace of what used to be. Lots of good nutrition and rest is very important. Hope this helps a bit. Take care.

Hope.

Hi Patty. First with the back pain it is easier to pull a muscle than it used to be. They will hurt with a lot less stress put on them than before. As for the fatigue there could be two issues working on him. One is the natural progression of muscle atrophy. Less muscle to move the same mass makes for tiredness. Poor sleep due to need for a Bipap can and does cause daytime fatigue. Has he seen a Respirologist or Pulmonologist recently. Hope this helps or gives you some ideas. AL.

patty

what does your husband do foR work, play and etc that are physical or stressful?

back pain

He works for American Electric Power - his job is not physical. He writes up clearances on the computer most of the day. His back and stomach are both now better- lasted 3 days. Now thinking maybe he had a virus?
He rides his bike and walks. He's also a high school coach - basketball and baseball. His plans are to continue coaching for as long as possible.

abdominal pain

My husband was diagnosed 8/05 with PBP. When he over stimulates himself (golfing, extra activities), the next day he will get abdominal discomfort and extreme fatigue. The Dr. says that if you overstimulate your nervous system, a autonomic response following, causes the abdominal discomfort and sleeping for 1-1 1/2 days following. He will be anorexic and with encouragement will take fluids. Slowly he gets back to normal. Normal activity now for him is still limited but enjoys outings and eating.

Fatigue

papaw50 said:
Hello everyone,

Seeing how we're new to this disease (husband diagnosed in June '06), we still find where we have many new questions each and every day. Or, at least I do. My husband says he feels like he's under a microscope because I'm always watching him and everything he does. I keep looking for new symptoms, etc. I can't help myself. I just dread the disease progressing to the point of where he's unable to function on his own.

Anyways, my question today.....he said yesterday his back was really hurting him and also, his stomach just felt funny. Now, I know every symptom is NOT going to be from als. But, just wondering - anyone else with als have back pain? I told him that maybe he might have a kidney infection or just pulled a muscle. The pain was in the lower part of his back.

The thing I notice the most about him lately is the fatigue. He is always so tired early in the evenings anymore. He use to stay up very late, but lately - he falls asleep so early. Anyone know what causes the fatigue? He takes a multivitamin (GNC Mens Mega), B12, bee pollen, Aquazon, Vit C, Vit E, Seaveg, Beta Caratene. Any suggestions for any other vit, herb, etc. that helps with the energy levels?

Thanks for any advice, suggestion, etc.

Patty
Hi my name is Marty I was diagnosis with ALS in oct of 2004 Fatigue is the one thing that gets me any time I try to walk, or do anything. I still am able to walk, funny as it is. I do fall and have trouble holding things. The most important fact that I cantell you is to keep your husband mind busy. Do not let him remind himself that something is wrong. Stay strong for him and keep him with positive thoughts and find a good chruch if you do not have one. From a finicial point , there is not a lot of help, without a chruch and great giving friends. The gov't disablitiy is something but not much. You must get your husband free of all negative. Truth and Love from you and family. And make him do things no matter how little. Good luck Marty [email protected]

Chiropractic is a health care discipline and profession that emphasizes diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system, especially the spine, under the hypothesis that these disorders affect general health via the nervous system It is generally categorized as complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) Chiropractic is based on the principle that spinal joint misalignments interfere with the nervous system and can result in lower resistance to disease and many different conditions of diminished health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back