Not open for further replies.

hudda32

Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
Kentucky
So, just got back to work from the Doc's office. Hubby went with me to my appointment and the Doc and I were discussing my medications and he started to discuss the possibility of a couple of medications that had addictive qualities and I told him I would prefer to use those medications as a means of last resort as my husband is a recovering addict and I didn't want to have medications such as those in my home for that reason.

So, no biggie, the Doc understood and was very professional about the whole thing. He adjusts my meds and we leave. When we get to the car my husband completely loses it on me. He was pissed that I told the doctor that about him. I told him I was sorry that it hurt him, but sometimes the truth hurts and I need to be honest with my doc about my situation and my concerns and fears regarding everything with my treatment.

In all honesty, my husband's addictions are what kept me from getting treatment sooner as I was afraid of the medication possibilities that I might be given in trying to control the pain and issues that I have in relation to my fibromyalgia. I put it off for over two years living in extreme pain day in and out until I finally couldn't take it anymore. I am not ashamed for being honest with my doctor. Sometimes the truth hurts and it is the truth. He is an addict. He has an addictive personality and we (our family members) have to be very careful about anything addictive that can be brought back into the household.

I just needed to vent and I hope you all can understand and offer me some support. He believes that the Doc is going to view him as a dope head and spread the news...he's ridiculous about it really. Just more added stress for me which we all know is not what I need.

Thanks for listening, and if anyone has any advice or supportive words, they will be definitely appreciated.

I totally get where you're coming from. Hopefully when he calms down he will realize that you obviously care about him and his well being and don't want to put him at risk. Also you should understand that he would be upset because he's probably ashamed and doesn't want people to think differently of him... I can understand why he would be upset also just for that reason.... Unfortunately he has had a problem in the past from what you've stated, nothing can change the past... But he can continue on with sobriety and realize that you love and care for and about him and don't want to risk him harming himself/his health as he did in the past.....
One thing you need to remember though is you do need to take care of yourself. Good luck and just remind him you love and care about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back