Good Sources For Fibromyalgia Diet Research?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ersatz

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NM
So, as I mentioned in my introductory post, I'm the daughter of a fibromyalgia/sarcoid patient. I myself am a subscriber to the "whole foods" method of eating, and along the way I've heard a few mentions that certain auto-immune disorders and whatnot can be managed through diet. I also see some posts here that seem to corroborate that.

The thing is, my parents are kind of "old school" and set in their ways, and their ways are BAD. Lately they've both been eating a ton of processed food, fast food, deep-fried things, etc. etc. and I can't imagine that's helping with my dad's fibromyalgia, not to mention the rest of their lives.

Does anybody know of any really good scholarly research or reputable books that I could give them that might nudge them toward healthier eating? They're both very skeptical of the Internet, but I really feel like I need to do some kind of food "intervention" on them before they both get sicker!

When you set up that intervention, schedule one for me too--will you please? I cannot honestly think of one food I eat that is healthy unless new research proves chocolate is healthy? I need to fix it today?! Have you heard of the paleo diet? There was some talk of it today; not for me though. I need help.

Well, I guess is their main worry is their weight and their health, the best way to go without restricting too much their diet is counting calories and portion control. That worked for me at least. After a while of doing that, you become more concious of what you put into your body! You also start to start craving the food you once loved... take me as an example, when I was fat I could eat a whole cheesecake alone, lol. Now I can barely finish an slice without feeling yucky... I've also noticed I no longer fancy things that are too sugary.

Have them watch video's on youtube about the dangers of sugar. That should help them understand how bad processed foods can be, as most of them contain one kind of sugar or another. Foods that you don't even think would have sugar in them are loaded up with the stuff. Then if you add in more like I was doing you get a double whammy. The cbs news has a good one up, as well as, the bbc channel. I watched both of them and it makes you kind of sick what companies will do to sell their products.

When I stopped adding extra sugar at meal times and started reducing sugar in my diet it was like having withdrawl symptoms from a drug. But I feel much better now and still working on a healthier diet. Watching the above video's would be a eye-opening start for your parents. :)

In support of 1sweed's suggestion, watch the one titled "Sugar:The Bitter Truth" featuring Dr. Robert Lustig

It's an hour and a half long, but wow...

Have them watch video's on youtube about the dangers of sugar. That should help them understand how bad processed foods can be, as most of them contain one kind of sugar or another. Foods that you don't even think would have sugar in them are loaded up with the stuff. Then if you add in more like I was doing you get a double whammy. The cbs news has a good one up, as well as, the bbc channel. I watched both of them and it makes you kind of sick what companies will do to sell their products.

When I stopped adding extra sugar at meal times and started reducing sugar in my diet it was like having withdrawl symptoms from a drug. But I feel much better now and still working on a healthier diet. Watching the above video's would be a eye-opening start for your parents. :)

I was quite surprised to find out that if I really wanted to watch my sugar levels, I actually had to avoid salad dressings as well :( Same goes for ketchup (that one actually made a lot sense!). I must say cutting sugar from one's diet is really hard. I have several sugar issues, but there is one that is directly affected by my sugar and carbs intake :( Sugar is nasty!

And yeah, sugar is actually like a drug! But you know what helps me curve that carvings? fruit! It works!

Fruit is very high in natural sugars. Having found out I have severe diabetes I have really had to watch my diet. I find the carbs Amd processed sugar to be worse. When my sugars are lowered with medication and I am exercising I can have more added natural sugar as in fruit to my diet. Fruit was actually the hardest thing to give up and I still crave it

I can't remember the name but there are cook books out to help you break your sugar habit. Sugar is worse than fat and studies are finding sugar linked to Alzheimer's

At the end of the video I mentioned above, the gentleman mentions how the poison is packaged with the antidote. Fruits are often quite high in fructose, which is essentially a poison, at least as it's recognized by your body, but they are high in fiber content as well which is what it takes to curb the negative effects of fructose. So if you increase your fiber intake dramatically, the diabetes issue is at least lessened if not cured entirely. Of course this also helps with weight, liver function, digestion, etc. The problem with processed foods and even fruit juices is that the carbs have no fiber content to go along with them. Fiber shortens shelf life and lengthens cooking time so fast foods, pre-packaged foods, and junk foods have as much fiber as possible removed from them. Economics...

Also, I would look at totally altering your view of fat, at least natural fats. Considering them only "less bad" than sugar is inaccurate. They are very beneficial. If you think about it, the beginning of when obesity and a lot of other health problems began to really become an issue in this country is about the time the FDA started really pushing a low-fat diet in the early '70s after some inconclusive and poorly executed research was bought whole-heartedly by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back