Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
Nearly 10 years ago I had Graves disease that almost killed me before I found help--4 doctors! Still didn't feel much better but was going through menopause and was given natural, compounded hormones and started feeling better--somewhat.
Buried my dad and father-in-law,(after caring for the latter for 2 years), a few months apart and began to feel much worse with pain and fatigue.
Went to a spinal neurologist and found arthritis, DD and fusion and sent to pain management. The following months I had 2 surgeries; for removal of a huge kidney stone stuck in the ureter, and tacking my kidney back where it belonged,( it came loose from the swelling), and was again referred to the "Pain Dr." (chronic swelling =chronic pain)
Had debilitating fatigue by then but couldn't do anything while recouperating so pain wasn't as bad.
While we focused on the life-long migraines and kidney& back pain with narcotics,(thank God!) and other things that didn't work, I was still feeling much traveling pains, massive fatigue, and depression. The dr. said he thought I had FM. My Chiro. says the same as does my massage therapist ( she said so 2 years before the others), and my Naturopath agrees. Is this an "official" diagnosis?
In Feb. I had ankle surgery and soon will have shoulder and other ankle surgery before the year is up.
Oh how I've wanted to live under a rock, but my heavenly Father sustains me! And to think, I used to ride horses all day, milk cows, build fence, buck hay, garden, etc., etc.

I suppose it is an official diagnosis as long as it has been approved by more doctors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have had a really rough road in dealing with many illnesses and very little relief. So much of the time these types of things seem to provoke fibro from just the strain on the bodies mental and physical makeup. We don't know for sure what causes fibro to develop in some and not others, but we all agree that it is very painful.

I hope you will read old and new posts, and ask more questions on the symptoms your having. We try to provide encouragement and support, and offer kind words to make you feel comfortable being here and sharing your problems and symptoms with us.

Please jump right in and answer other people's posts and I hope to see more of your posts around the forum. Have a good day! :)

Wow, so sorry you suffer from Graves disease... but when you said you had, you mean is completely under control now? I ask because the mom of my SO suffer from graves and I know how awful this disease is. She has gone thru a lot, she had to get a eye surgery done (couple times already) and she suffers from joint pain. This lady doesn't complain much actually, if it was my mom she'd be weeping all the day, hehehe! Sorry to hear you nearly died, I can only imagine how frustrated you felt!

Have you seen an actual rheumatologist? He's the only one who can really tell what's going on and give you an accurate diagnosis, just make sure to see a good one.

I agree with the above poster and ask to be seen by a rheumatologist. They will "officially" diagnose you by touching 18 points on your body. If you yelp (or express pain) in 11 of them, you'll be diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.

I'm sorry you've had so much to deal with. Hopefully, you'll have no trouble finding a rheumatogist and they can help you manage your pain better. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Well, I am sorry as well. But I hope you will get better soon!

I tried taking an anti-thyroid drug first, which is what Europeans do for Graves but was violently allergic to it. I decided to take the RI as all symptoms escalated. After finally finding a Naturpath that specializes in hormones --God bless him!--we had to try many things before getting it all regulated. I am completely dependent on 2 (T-3, T-4), meds but have it under control. I still have to be tested but that horrid, most terrible episode is behind me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back