My muscles are so tight I can't walk. Any supplements/vitamins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnysummerday

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2006
Country
US
State
NY
For months, I've stretched multiple times per day as instructed by a physical therapist. I don't think I'm any more flexible now than when I started. My legs are so stiff that I can only hobble around. My awkward gait is causing me to injury myself. I recently started taking 250 mg of magnesium/day. I doubt it will do anything, as I was taking this dosage when I first stiffened up. I stopped taking it because I ran out. I might increase the dosage after I'm on it for a week or two. I take fish oil and vit D.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Magnesium citrate is best absorable type 2 or three times a day if at all possible.This keeps me off of muscle relaxors some of the time. Non citrate Mag Taken in higher doses causes dirreah...not worth it.

I take ElementalMagnesium 400 mg twice a day on the recommendation of my Rheumatologist and it helps me a lot. I also take a Calcium supplement-Citracal with Vit-D. When I am very stiff and achy, I will put 3-4 cups of Epsom salts in a warm-not hot tub of water and soak in it for at least 20 mins then rinse off. That should help, too.

Hi Sunny.
Your fibro seems very similar to mine in terms of the stiffness. In my case, stiffness turned out to be caused by contracted (shortened) muscles and tendons.
Hydrolyzed collagen is a great supplement for the elasticity of muscles and connective tissue, and is also recommended for joint pain. Collagen can be found in foods (bone broth, jellly) but hydrolyzed collagen is available in powder form.
I put a tablespoon of it in my daily coffee, because it dissolves better in hot drinks.

On the other hand, you say the stretches recommended by your PT aren't working. I had the same problem, and saw several different physical therapists and rehab doctors, and their exercises worked very little for me. It was until I developed my own routine of stretches that I began to feel significant improvement.
Sometimes muscles and tendons are so stiff that traditional stretches can't target them properly, as other muscles "pinch hit" and subtly skew the stretch.

I'll wait for your response and we can talk more.

Have you checked your blood pressure? I have had tight muscles for nearly a decade and somehow they missed my high bp, thinking it was white coat syndrome. Anyway started treating it with an ACE inhibitor and my muscles loosened up for the first time in years. This may not be the case for you but if hate for you to have to suffer like I have, high bp puts increased blood pressure to your muscles making them tense up hence the name "hypertension". High bp can be a silent killer .

Hey Sunny

I thought I was alone with severe muscle tightness - I used to run marathons and now using an electric cart at stores - wish we could compare notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back