Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2016
Country
CA
State
ON
Do any of you get this? For awhile, my nails will be fine, and then my fingernails will either break right at the quick or the top layer will separate from the bottom layer and peel. My toenails just do the peeling thing. I know i don't absorb iron - I'm permanently on supplements because I get anemia if I don't take them - and I'm assuming there are other things my body doesn't absorb.

Yes!! My nails and toe nails were peeling before I found out that my anemia had gotten worsen than ever and my mineral/vitamin were deficiency. I finally decided to get it under control after I had a few way too many hallucination problem . With the nails it was not just peeling , it was also lots of white dots, spots , discoloring , waving ridges. My hair was shading like a dog beside feeling weak and my teeth was literally crumbling out of my mouth, my body was experiencing yoyo weight problem . I was literally falling off piece by pieces. I've gotten much better after started taking D3 then K2 which was one of my lucky find . Then with anemia with iron cause otherwise my strange craving will act up and it could get ugly real fast. Then shortly after that I found out that I have potassium deficiency and selenium deficiency. Selenium is the mineral that support immune systems. With selenium I just have to eat 2 Brazil nut per day. So now my nails are much stronger , less hair lost, I shrunk a lot in a few sizes , teeth stop crumbling out ,sadly still don't have time nor money to go patching up the damages cause I lost all my enamel and lots of missing chunks it's ugly right now but at least I can chew my food more than I was before.

That's good info Tipnatee. I don't have the other effects, thankfully, but it's worth adding in D3 and K2. Love Brazil nuts, os that's easy. I figure if I'm not absorbing iron, there are probably lots of other things I'm not taking in either. Do you get a lot of cold sore as well? My whole family gets them, as well as what we call 'icthy bumps' all over our bodies - like little, itchy tiny blisters or pimples. My brother gets them the worst - head to toe. Doc figured it was some type of cold sore. He takes lysine daily and that seems to help. I sometimes wonder if the war years (my family is dutch and were pretty malnourished) did something weird to my parents gut and that got passed down. They are starting to link so much to gut issues.

Yes I get rash, bumps , painful pimples even my scalp, under my rips and other odd places that I should be sweating but I can't sweat during heat while I'm awake , I used to get the sore at both corner of my lips like a huge cracks open wounds like my lips was about to split open wide, it was so painful but vitamin c didn't help. I deal with skin pimples by using aspirins bath with baking soda , or aspirin face scrub with baking soda with a dab of toothpaste for claiming the inflammation especially during allergies attacks it seem to help a lot. I always known when I get iron deficiency I usually craving mountaint of popcorns for a week.

HI Marvis,
Have you been tested for Celiac Disease? (I have it, so it's my automatic first thought hearing your symptoms, but it's a good thing to rule out). Iron anemia was one of my first early warning signs. I used to have really bad weak peely nails, frequent cold sores. thankfully no rash, but the itchy pimples could possible be dermatitis herpetiforms, which is another manifestation of Celiac. If it hasn't been ruled out already, and you are still eating gluten, talk to your doctor about testing (blood test and biopsy). Celiac symptoms can also be similar to Fibro - fatigue, aches, brain fog, the works.
If it's not that, then there could be something else preventing absorption. In the meantime, take extra of all your vitamins: C, D, B12, calcium, whatever other supplements you take. Digestive enzymes and probiotics also help. I wouldn't increase iron unless your doctor says so, but be sure to take it with vitamin C (supplement or big glass of OJ or something).
The first sign that I was absorbing nutrience properly is that my nails got so much better! Very few mouth ulcers these days too.
If it is Celiac, going gluten-free could resolve your fibro issues too, though they could be separate conditions. In any case, good luck figuring out what's up.

I can't remember if i was ever actually tested for celiac. I have been gluten free in the past, but I can't say I was ever religious about it, as in I did cheat from time to time. My brother was celiac as a child, but tests negative now. My sister tests negative, but has intense reactions to gluten. I know I feel better off gluten, but it's more subtle than my sister - I can't really say for sure it's the gluten or something else, kwim? For here, she eats wheat and immediately gets pain. I eat wheat and I'm fine. If I eat a ton of wheat over a long period of time, I feel less well, but then I'm generally eating more junk and more sugar as well, so could be that. I'm working really hard at getting back to the clean diet I had a few years ago (basically meat, veg, some fruit, limited grains, gluten free, dairy free except yogurt) when I did feel much better. I do try really hard to get my vitamins up, by my brain starts swirling with all the contrary advice about what to take and what kind and when. I'd forgotten about boosting hte iron with C. Right now I'm taking iron, b12, and lysine. I eating yogurt once a day for a little calcuim as I have a super hard time managing the calcium supplements. Any advice on what type of probiotics and enzymes? Those are the two in particular I get contradictory advice about. ps - just noticed you're in Toronto!!! :) My home away from home. Used to live at Bloor and Dovercourt and still try to get there as much as I can.

Sorry to harp on this, but if your brother had Celiac Disease as a kid, he still has it now (it's an autoimmune disease. They don't disappear even with no symptoms). Also, it's hereditary so higher likelihood you could have it too. Also, false negatives are not uncommon (my bloodwork was negative back before going GF) so better to get a biopsy done. They could even try doing a biopsy on your blistery rash to see if it's dermatitis herpetiformis, which would also mean you have celiac. It can be a tricky disease to pin down, kinda like fibro. It tests all come back negative (while you are still eating gluten), you could try going completely GF for a few months and see if your nails/rash/anemia/etc improve. If yes, I'd say keep it up. In any case, talk to your doctor about it.

Aside from that, keep up with the vitamins. I find digestive enzymes taken with meals help break down foods more easily when your stomach can't do all the work, which helps absorption somewhat, but mostly helps your digestion.

Thanks Pegleg. Did you do the testing/biopsy through a doctor or a naturopath? I just get brushed off when I mention things like this to any of my docs.

With the digestive enzymes and the probiotics - anything particular I should look for? (ie probiotic - refrigerated or not, numbers, types)

Thanks for the help. There is so much info out there, I like to get as many specifics as I can from fellow fibro-ites to try to narrow things down.

Pegleg84 your info always one of the best !. I love reading it everytime cause it's always full of stuff that I need or forgotten about . Thanks again !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back