Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2012
Country
US
State
Maryland
Snckrs here. So I have some questions for everyone. Pretty person ones too, but heres why. I have heard from several different places that "most" people with fibromyalgia have had trigger events. Also "most" have had traumatic events in their childhood. I know there is truth to these statements for me, but I dont know about the rest of you.

I am NOT asking anyone to talk about things they dont want to. To make it simple you can answer with a Y or N. If you want to talk about it, thats okay too.
1. Trigger Event Y/N
2. Traumatic Childhood Event Y/N

Since I am bringing this up, it seems appropraite that I share. So here goes.

1. Trigger Event. Y
When I was 20 my father commited suicide. He had tried before so while it wasnt unexspected, it certently wasnt easy to go through.
2. Traumatic Childhood Event. Y
Through out my childhood my father was suffering with bipolar. He attempted suicide multiple times, and was an alcoholic.

I was in 2 car accidents a year and a half apart a few years ago..... Both times I was rear ended.... Never had any pain issues like this prior...

I've had all sorts of issues outside of fibro. I was born with some of them, which caused a difficult child hood. I think I developed new issues in my childhood. For instance, I had an ear infection that lasted a full year when I was 1 year old, and so I was kept on antibiotics for the full year. I now have antibiotic damage in my gut, which is causing some of my digestion issues.

As for the fibromyalgia specifically, it didn't start until I moved to North Dakota 2 years ago. We made the decision to move in one week's time, and I LOVE where were living then (Idaho.) I didn't want to leave, I was really happy. But I agreed to moving because my husband was offered a great job and we were financially struggling a lot in Idaho. To add to the pain, we couldn't afford a moving truck. So in one week's time we packed as much as we could in each of our cars, and whatever wouldn't fit we couldn't take with. So we left behind wedding presents, sentimental memorabilia, and things we loved and used a lot simply because they didn't have room. But then it got even worse! My car was too weighed down, and a quarter of the way into the trip we had to get a Uhaul and tow my car. So we ended up paying $1,000 we didn't have to get a uhaul that could have fit all the stuff we didn't want to leave behind. I was very very angry, in despair, and depressed. I'm still trying to get over that move. North Dakota has treated us really well and we're financially way better off, but I feel like a part of me died in Idaho because I've never been able to fit in here in North Dakota. I really hate living here. The fibro started shortly after moving here, as a 25 year old adult.

So the fibro, I think, had an emotional trigger. All my other chronic issues, of which there are many, had been getting gradually worse since childhood and it finally got so bad about 2 years ago when the fibro started that I couldn't function any more.

I have a virus. Hepatitis C. A virus can be a trigger. Also I have had MANY traumatic event in my life so I don/t know which event triggered it. I have a video here that I don't know if you have seen it. But this guy explained my disease so well. Better than anyone has ever explained it before!

Link Not Allowed

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know if childhood trauma figures in to my fibro. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and before that I could "fight through pain and function. As a child I was sexually assaulted from age 5 until age 14 by many family members/friends, lived in a very abusive alcoholic family.

Yes, I had several traumatic events... Very traumatic, I don't dare to talk about those here, but yeah, I had a very difficult childhood. I never thought that could be linked to my fibro issues, but I guess it does make sense. After all you never know how this kind of incidents can affect you. So sorry to hear about your dad, that must have been so awful for a little girl or boy, it's also awful for a grown up, but for a kid must be way worse because you can't really understand fully what just happened.

My mother died when I was 6 years old of cancer. I stayed home and took care of her when my dad was at work. After she died my dad remarried and I had a very abusive upbringing until I moved/got kicked out when I was 16. Plus I've been in several car accidents. I think it has a lot to do with it.

I'm so sorry for that links, my heart goes out to you. You are a wonderful, strong person for having endured all of that :(.

Thank you. I also had to take my little brother in and raise him when he got kicked out. I have worked very hard to get where I am. I'm 25 have my own house cars tractors chickens ducks. My house is almost payed off. Been in the army and captain of the fire dept for 5 years now. I burned the candle at both ends until I hit the fibro wall. The pain has really slowed me down. It's very debilitating. I try not to think of my childhood too much, it's in the past and I learned how not to Raise a child. One thing I learned from my mom as she was dieing, no matter how horrible you feel or think your day is, someone else is having a worse time.

Oh links, you are a strong strong man. You are an insperation to us all.

Lots of different types of abuse from ''friends'', and family as well. Strange the ties that bind us together and give us common ground.

I would have never thought that tramatic childhoods would be this prevelent. But it is. I had my doubts but no more. A book I read said that it was tied together and I didnt believe it. I will put the title of the book on here, the next time I go upstairs.

We are extremely strong people. Everyone should take pride in that. Whethers others understand us or our illness, we know that we a strong. Lets keep fighting and one day we will win! FREEDOM!

Way to get pumped up about it! You just have to believe that something will help this eventually, hopefully sooner than later. I don't know if you are religious or not but it does help man. I watched my Mom as she went through the stages and It was amazing how close she was with her faith when she died. It gave her strength and hope and it made her feel better. Not to mention the people from the congregation were so supportive they would come over before we got home and clean our house and have dinner in the oven. I was really grateful they did that. Hey check out a book called the depression cure. It's got a lot of stuff that makes sense in there and some vitamins that your body doesn't get enough of anymore because of the way our food production has changed, and our bodies are still stuck in the stone age because we haven't adapted to our modern lifestyle as a species yet. It's a good read.

Yes, very bad childhood and many, many stressfull triggers for (20) years of my adulthood and still going on as I try to work with some very mean and vindictive women and do no understand all my medical problems at all and do not try for care. People can be so awful to other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back