Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
US
State
ID
So I recently went back to the doctor complaining about how I could not sleep and I was in a lot of pain. She added Lyrica to my medications. I have heard a lot of bad things about it. If you take it what are some of the side effects? What does it help? Do you like Lyrica?

I don't understand why she didn't really address my sleeping problems or my pain. She just put me on my 4th medicine.

Hi, if you go to conventional MD's, that is what they do best, write scripts. We have to do so much ourselves on this FM issue. Do you feel the drugs you take are helping? I worked long and hard on my sleep combo and I posted it in Alternataives, I sleep 8-10 hrs nightly, no doc helped me there. I don't have a lot of faith in too many docs, integrative MD's are who I see, but do so much of my own work. Have you worked with supps? I take no meds for FM only ibuprofen and DGL for stomach protection....and supps that help with FM. J

Btoope,
It seems there are limited drugs that they use for fibro and after a time it seems as if they throw drugs at you in hope that something will work. Since I am allergic to most drugs I am on Neurontin and over the counter migraine headache medication. Combined together in the mornings I can lower my pain level for most of the day. When the meds stop working I am ready to rest.

If you read around the forum in the chronic pain section other members talk about what works for them. Also read the general fibro section at top of forum for more information. Hope you visit often and learn many new coping skills. :)

B, im sorry you needed to go on more meds.
There are only a few meds for fibromyalgia.
Please read the med guide that came with the lyrica.
Be sure you are OK with the side effects.
I took that med at 2700 mg per day. I then was told to stop using it
By my eye doctor and two other doctors.
If a med is on TV, then there has been problems with it.

What to expect from the lyrica.

It is a nerve blocker to the Brain.
It reduces the messages that tell the brain to send pain.

It does not stop pain. It is not a pain med.

What it is reducing is the nerve pains. The knife and burning.
I get over 280 knives every day. I'm on gabapentin time release called
Graylise. 1800 mg per day. It's not working to reduce those.
So I have to go to pain mgmt for pain meds like morphine.

The lyrica was designed for seizure. They reduce them or can cause them.

Please make sure the lyrica is working for you.
Document it in your log book.

I do hope it helps to reduce the number of nerve signal you get.
Remember it's not a pain medication.

I have decided to stop taking the lyrica. I am just not comfortable taking it. It did not help with my pain much. (I know its not a pain medication) My family told me my mood was different and I was acting a little odd while I was on it. What should I tell my doctor? Im still not sleeping which is my biggest problem. I don't return to my doctor till june 7th. Hopefully I can deal with my pain and exhaustion till then. Thanks for the help everyone.

Hi, I posted about Gaba for sleep/insomnia and I also have my sleep combo posted on Alternatives. I'm so glad not to take sleep drugs too...I haven't seen alot of good results with drugs. I'm not saying don't take them, but there are SO MANY alternatives for everything...I've been at this for 25 yrs...working with alternatives for my health. Good luck.

I e only been on it a week but it had an almost instant effect pain reduction and fatigue although I suspect fighting pain all day makes me tired.i go a little fuzzy in the head about 15 min after I take it then That clears. Still take panadol but the combo seems to be working. Nothing else has.
I'm new to this but if it works !?!?! I'll keep an eye on the weight though

After 1 yr. On lyrica and weight gain I took myself off.
Lyrica was originally made for seizures
Personaly It didn't work for me. I was also put on Cymbalta, for pain, anxiety, and depression, it ALSO caused weight gain and I felt like a zombie. I have gone 2 days without any and I have more energy
That's my story, not everyone's the same though.
Hang in there, you will find your own comfort zone. Remember you pay the Dr's to help you.
If you ever feel like drugs are being thrown at you just to get you out the door, find another Dr. That will listen. .
It took me 3 years to persistently look for someone that listened to me, and my Dr. Is female. No personal attack guys.
US lady's are emotional creatures..

I had 8 blissful months on Lyrica, we were a very happy couple, now we don't work together anymore and are headed for a painful separation. Apparently the withdrawals are not too nice! However., for 8 months I was pain free, motivated, energised, brain clear but.....I lost my sense of humour, became aggressive, lost my personality. As soon as I can get a new pain killer I shall start to come off it. I am not saying don't try it but if it's just for sleep, then get something else. How about Melatonin (Prescription grade). Lyrica for sleep no. I am going to use GABA to help me come off the Lyrica. Good luck my love. Sal

I have tried them ALL. The only thing that helps is Lyrica. Dr. tried to wean me off. I reduced it for a week. One terrible week. I went back on full dose. Lyrica and Oxycodone are my life. I am about to try Kratom, just need some directions.

Everyone is different...I did not like Lyrica either. I use a float tank for pain relief with no side effects, it's just warm water with lots of epsom salts. You can see what I wrote in Alternatives thread. Sometimes I also use melatonin for sleep on the nights I don't float. Floating is so relaxing to my muscles and joints that I fall to sleep easily on nights when I float. I had real trouble falling asleep, too. I also see the chiropractor every 3 weeks. That's all I do and my pain was constant before. I am against conventional meds because I had a lot of bad side effects. You have to try lots of things to fine tune what works for you. Everyone is different and you have to be pro active to find what works for you. Keep searching til you find it!

I drink Lyrica from time to time as only this drug helps me when pain is severe,I use it as additional medication.

Zolisindigo, read the mes guide on that lyrica. ssee the side effects and understand its not a pain killer. it a blocker to the brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back