Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2001
Country
US
State
pa
Hi eveyone, just sharing what helps me with my fm pain.
Studies have shown that magnesium and sulfate are both readily absorbed through the skin, making Epsom salt baths an easy and ideal way to enjoy the amazing health benefits . Magnesium plays a number of roles in the body including regulating the activity of over 325 enzymes, reducing inflammation, helping muscle and nerve function and helping to prevent artery hardening. Sulfates help improve the absorption of nutrients, flush toxins and help ease migraine headaches. It's so relaxing and helps me fall asleep. Well wishes to all.😌

Thanks missShug, good information!

thanks for sharing that.

folks can now learn and reply with what they have learned about too.

we always saying to take the baths, never really saying why it helps us.
now they know why.

thanks.

Sadly I don't have a bath , but I do have bananas which Are packed full of vitamins and minerals, and it improves cardiovascular health, brain, and kidneys.
Wounded if u could rub the Epsom salts on like u would soap ?

Found this on a web page.
I always knew that soaking in a tub full of hot water with a few cups of Epsom salts was good for relaxing muscles and drawing toxins from the body, but I could never figure out why. And it wasn’t until I spent some time at the Epsom Salt Industry Council web site that I learned that epsom salts—made of the mineral magnesium sulfate—are also a sedative for the nervous system.

When magnesium sulfate is absorbed through the skin, such as in a bath, it draws toxins from the body, sedates the nervous system, reduces swelling, relaxes muscles, is a natural emollient, exfoliator, and much more.

Link not Allowed!

Last edited by a moderator:
forget... go to the store.. you know the one with the food. lol

get a kids plastic pool and do the boiling water thing.
thats how i tried to do the salt bath. my lupus skin wont handle the salt.

Forget you can buy magnesium supplements and take them. If you have a friend or family member that you can relax around, see if you can go on "vacation" to their house for the night and have a bath.

I add clary sage oil and lavender oil to my baths. Mix the oil into a mild soap, shampoo, or even honey to help it mix into the water better, then pour the mixure under the running tap water. The clary sage is so soothing, esp if you have bad menstrual cramps. I don't know how it can react with meds, so I'd research first.

Hi everyone I have been struggling with chronic pain since July 2014, I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in April 2015, however having moved to Germany and acquiring another set of doctors they are beginning to re diagnose and they think i have fibro as well as IC or fibro exclusively, I found that epsom salts relieve my bladder symptoms hugely. I am also using essential oils like lavander into my baths, and tryiing herbal teas that are supposed to relieve muscle pain

I see a chiropractor as well as Rheumatologist and both say Epsom salts really helps. I found an Epsom Salt body lotion I use every morning on top of baths when I have time.

MissShug and everyone interested,
Only just a couple of years ago, when I was first diagnosed, I would take baths with Lavender Epsom Salts and it would really help with my sleep and my pain but sometime within the last 6-12 mos (time runs together for me) I took my usual "ahhh... less pain, more sleepy now" bath and I couldn't get out of the dang bathtub! LOL I tried to get out without hurting myself but trying to lift myself up with my hands put too much pressure on my hands and shoulders, plus bending my knees hurt some. So, next I tried rolling onto my hands and knees, which I decided was the only way to get out without yelling for my husband, but the pain from that was exquisite. Hands, shoulders, knees all shrieking with pain before I was all the way out. Now I just take showers. It was suggested to me recently to try plugging the tub and as the water begins to fill it from the shower, add the lavender Epsom Salts. I think I will also add Clary Sage oil to it now too, thanks to Nada's comment.

I of course was thinking that just having your feet in the water might not do much to help but who knows. Because of Forgetmenot's research,
"Found this on a web page. I always knew that soaking in a tub full of hot water with a few cups of Epsom salts was
good for relaxing muscles and drawing toxins from the body, but I could never figure out why. And it wasn’t until I
spent some time at the Epsom Salt Industry Council web site that I learned that epsom salts—made of the mineral
magnesium sulfate—are also a sedative for the nervous system."

perhaps it won't matter as much as I thought at first. The reason being, your feet are where all your nerves end. Even a good foot soak may help more than we know. For me, I am going to try it with the Lavender Epsom's Salt and Clary Sage oil the next time I have a bad flare up.

Quick Amendment: According to the philosophy of Reflexology, all of our nerves end in our feet.

Cheryl Ann another similarity...i had to give up baths too. I would hurt my knees just bending through them /and arms like you so much trying to get out i would end up worse sometimes barely able to put weight on my legs when i was fine before i got in.

Really its almost too crazy to believe. I wouldn't dare tell my doctor this as they give you that' look' that says 'that can't be true, you are just imagining it or exaggerating'....but i know my body.

I would love to try the epsom salts but have vulvodynia and IC and generally skin that burns so am not sure if it would be ok.

I have to use all pure and ph balanced skin products and shower gel and shampoo.....oh my what did they put in my genes when i was made.

Talking of jeans it would be nice to wear my smart jeans instead of my comfy soft trousers or days in my pj's.

Willow,
Of course you should share your ability to get in and out of a tub with your doctor. He/She needs to know these things in order to get the total picture.
Genes: My favorite cousin says that the reason we have learning disabilities in our family and probably the tendency toward autoimmune diseases, is bc our grandmother's great, great grandmother's daughter eloped with her 3rd cousin. lol

Jeans: I have one pair that fits so I try to save them for days I'm going out... like shopping for groceries or fabric or to play Trivia at the bar (Went from last place in the final round to 3rd place with the final question. Woohoo! My team won a gift card worth $10.)

Those are pretty much the only reasons I go out these days.

There is a magnesium spray that may be helpful when it isn't convenient to take a bath and soak in Epsom Salt water. I take two different types of magnesium supplements and I have the spray as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back