Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
IN
A few weeks ago, on Easter Sunday, we spent a few hours outside at the park with our grandbabies while they had an egg hunt. Later that evening, I noticed that my face was itching frequently and when I looked in the mirror I noticed some hives on my face and neck. I took some Benadryl and by morning they were gone. But, I spent the next week itchy. No rash or hives, but my body would itch in various places all day.

Yesterday, we were at the park again with the grandbabies. Last night, about 6 hours after I got home, I started breaking out again just on my face and neck. But this time it was much more severe and my face was very red and burned/stung more than it itched. I took Benadryl but it just kept getting worse so I went to the ER. The doctor said asked if I had used sunscreen and when I told her no, she suggested that it might be from exposure to the sun. In the ER they gave me a big dose of prednisone and I took 2 double doses of Benadryl overnight and the hives were gone this morning when I got up. My face still has a slight reddish tint though and I still feel burning here and there.

Is this something that would be fibro related? Or do I need to investigate further? I'm scared to go out in the sun at the moment :???:

Hi there. Sorry to hear you had to go through that :( Sadly in all these years I've been part of this forum and other support groups, I had never heard about something like this. I might be wrong, but maybe this is not fibro related. You should really investigate further, specially when it comes to new symptoms. I've been saying it this a long time ago, but here I go again: never assume everything is related or caused by fibro, if you notice something new get it checked out; don't ignore new symptoms.

I would talk to your doctor about it, if I were you. It could be a side effect of any medication that you're on... it could be something worse. Definitely, get it checked out!

Best of luck!

You might belong to the group of individuals with sun specific reactions that come with fibromyalgia. One of the signs of this group is having skin sensitivity to the sun with inflammatory reactions like allodynia and hyperagelsia. Demographism and skin hyperrhymia are also very common in fibro patients.

I'm in the process of going to a Dr. To check for lupis. I can't be in the sun between 10 am and 4 pm. Have your Dr. Test you for Ana count.

Thank you for your responses :)

I have an appointment with my doctor next week that I had already scheduled as a follow-up from getting my diagnosis and I will discuss this with her then.

moe1959 - In my google searches, I noticed that it was a symptom of Lupus. I looked that up and I do have some symptoms, but I don't know. I'll ask my doctor about that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back