Alcohol & Fibromyalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totaly agree with you paris...

Based on my research, alcohol is not recommended as a therapy for pain due to fibromyalgia. In time, you will need more to achieve the same effects. Although alcohol reduces pain at the start, chronic drinking will make the pain worse. Withdrawal from chronic alcohol would often lead to increased sensitivity to pain.

It helps me become motivated to do housework and gardening actually in small doses. I very rarely drink but when I do it generally has positive effects. I would assume a hangover makes it much worse though if you overdo it. I'd also become concerned about tolerance and dependency, but I've also occasionally had some win to cure a headache and that was effective.

A new Scottish research suggests that moderate drinking of alcohol cuts the likelihood of disability for people with FM. This is mitigated by the fact that the more you drink the more you need to drink to get the same effects. Alcohol fares pain by stimulating the brain's limbic system that regulates pleasure and pain. Chronic drinking can worsen pain and withdrawal will cause increased sensitivity. Therefore the researchers recommend alternate stimulations which create a feeling of well being like exercises or watching movies to stimulate the limbic system.

I used to be an alcoholic myself... thankfully not anymore. When Ii got drunk I simply forgot about everything and everyone. I said things i'd not normally say and feel great about, the same applied to pain. No idea how that works to be honest, but is not a good solution. I rather use my mom's ointments for now.

I Use to drink daily because of my pain and it would help my pain for a while I would like to research how alcohol helps pain and why it worked so well I know it has to do with working on the nerves. Does anyone have opinions ? And has alcohol worked for anyone else better than meds ?

Hi, I drink to ease the pain sometimes, but it only makes me overdo myself, then I hurt Worse the next few days. It's not the answer. Drink because you enjoy it, not for Fibro. It won't help it. I'm a 30+ year sufferer of this disease,,, nothing works, not even my Strong narcotic therapy I've been on for over 12 years. whew.... Dannyo.

I used to drink a glass of wine or once in a while two every evening, but it seems like since I have not worked (about 2 years now), I don't even think about it. I do, however, notice that I'm in less pain when I'm drinking. I was actually able to dance a month ago, not a lot, but I was able too! That said, everything in moderation. I agree, reducing the pain is not a good way to approach the use of alcohol, but if you are able to partake once in a while, it is a nice benefit!

Trellum, I'm so glad you recognized and acknowledged the changes in you, and it sounds like not pleasant ones. From what I have seen you post, I can't imagine it. I can tell you are a sweet and caring individual. What a blessing that you are no longer drinking. I used to smoke and I know how hard it is to stop an addiction. Kudos to you for kickin it! <3 <3

Gabbpentin is good but like most pills it wears out after a few months.well for me it has.
As for drinking I'm not a drinker but I'm going to have a few tonight and let u no.we all know u relax when u drink so that's what easies the pain.
I'm also blaming you if I have a headache tomorrow ,:)

Nooo! Forgetmenot, I hope it made you feel relaxed and reduced the pain. No headaches!! ;-) :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back