Courtney.

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Ky
Hi,

My name is Courtney, I am a 21 year old living in Ky. I guess I should start from the beginning. I've had back pain all my life, when I was a kid I was diagnosed with Spondylosis, which is basically fractures in my vertebrae. Years later I now work at a small chiropractic office. The doctor took X-rays of my spine and diagnosed me with Spondylolisthesis, a more severe form of my previous condition, and Spina-Bifida. For as long as I can remember I have had all over wide spread pain, the only way I can describe it is it seems to move. One day my low back may hurt, the next day my shoulders, arms and feet may hurt. It is not consistent and it is not only one area that hurts. Its either an all over body ache, similar to a flu ache, or it moves to different areas of my body. I informed my chiropractor of the pain I am constantly in and she says that it sounds like fibromyalgia. I am always tired, I could get 10 hrs of sleep and wake up tired. I even went to my family physician about how tired I was, thinking there was something wrong with my thyroid and the doctor said I was fine. I went back to my orthopedic because of the wide spread pain I am in and they said I'm fine. I am confused, the amount of pain I am in there is no way that there is nothing wrong with me. What do you think? Does any of the symptoms I am describing sound similar to those of you diagnosed with fibromyalgia?

Courtney,
Your best bet would be to talk with a Rheumatologist. It might be the condition you already have is causing this pain or the condition you have has evolved into fibro. But when bones and muscles and nerves are all involved anything can happen and usually it means constant pain. You mentioned where you work and I was wondering if your having treatments done there? Sometimes chiropractic treatments can make us hurt more instead of less. I can not even tolerate massages as my skin and muscles are too sensative to handle the pressure of the hands rubbing and pushing on my muscles. Of course you might be more able than I am to have such treatments.

Most of us find the things we need most are better coping skills. We run out of ideas and don't know where next to turn. That is what is so special about this forum. Members here care about you. They feel your pain and they share what works for them, and what does not work. Please take time to read the topic sections on pain management and on fatigue. Read back posts as well to gather lots of knowledge and coping skills.

Ask more questions and share answers in all areas of the forum. Glad you found us! :)

Hi Courtney, I would second 1sweed's comment and see if you can get an appointment with a rheumatologist and see if they support the diagnosis of fibromyalgia or maybe there's something else.

You could have chronic fatigue syndrome too, as I know that it is closely related to fibromyalgia.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back