DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
IL
Hey all,

I saw a rhuematoid dr twice, and I have decided to see a different rheumatoid doctor. Not necessarily for a 2nd diagnostic opinion, as I can say with probably 85% certainty that I have fibromyalgia. Rather, I want to see if she can provide more insight and a better treatment plan than my first doctor.

My PCP prescribed me Cymbalta first while I was waiting to get into the 1st Rheum Dr. The 1st rheum dr prescribed me a bunch of other meds - gabapentin, meloxicam... I just felt like i was taking too many pills!

Honestly, all I want is my Cymbalta, Tramadol as needed, and a small amount of muscle relaxers to have on hand in the event I get a flare up (my flares come in the form of upper back spasms and I can't move).

Any advice or suggestions of what to tell my doctor when I go in? I always feel very rushed. I want them to get a good idea of what I've been going through, what I've done to try and fix it, and what I want to do going forward. I remember someone saying they make a list for the doctor to read later and put in the chart. Any other ideas?

thanks,
CC

I wish I had the answer, as I am battling with the exact same problem. I have to go see different doctors in the coming months and I am really dreading it. I also feel so rushed, and my story is such a complex one. It is not only fibro, but all kinds of surgeries gone wrong, accidents, falls, allergies etc. I also suffer from social anxiety, so I simply go blank and tell lies (I dont know why I do that - they ask me whether I work, I say yes, even though I have been unemployed and broke for months now due to fibro!)

Someone on this forum advised me not only to write it down, but to give what I wrote to the doctor. I am seriously considering this. I will list my history and hand it to the doctor, give them time to digest it, and then start asking questions from the list I have in my own hand. It could be something for you too.

You could also simply say that you want to try the combination of medication you mentioned (and the reasons why) and that you want to give it a 3-month trial and come back on how it goes after the trial period. good luck!

Hi ChinaCat,

I think if you have to butter up the dr by saying "I've heard such great things about you and that's why I decided to see u.I heard that you listen to your patients needs."Trying to get on his good side can't hurt lol. A lot of the drs love to get their ego rubbed, so if it gets you more attention and helps so be it.

It might work and it might not,but a lot of the Rheumatologist I've seen don't seem to cater to Fibromyalgia patients.I think they say they treat us,but they really don't know how.Only my opinion.But they are the ones that are most likely to diagnose Fibromyalgia.
I hate to say I haven't found a really caring Rheumatologist yet, but I haven't given up.

Write everything down on paper,because u will forget things that you want to ask.
Start with the ones that are of more priority to u. Suggest things and medicines that have helped u.Stay as confident as u can,and explain what u have been going through.

Keep trying till u find the right doctor that makes u feel comfortable and is willing to decrease or increase your meds as needed.And is able to suggest things that might work.Not all doctors are created equal lol.

Sagey

Hi ChinaCat,

I think if you have to butter up the dr by saying "I've heard such great things about you and that's why I decided to see u.I heard that you listen to your patients needs."Trying to get on his good side can't hurt lol. A lot of the drs love to get their ego rubbed, so if it gets you more attention and helps so be it.

Sagey

OMG - how did I never think of doing this. I live in a country/culture where doctors are like held on pedestals. They might have graduated in the 50's and have never gone back to reading recent research on their speciality (many don't - can you imagine!?!), but they are expected to be called 'sir/madam' no matter what. So rubbing their already large ego might indeed work!

Great advice!

Hm, not a bad idea, though if the Doc thinks you hold them in such high esteem they might expect you to take all their meds and instructions no questions asked.
Definitely go with a list. Maybe explain when you get there that you wrote down a list/explanation of your symptoms and situation. Either you can go through it with them, or leave the list/letter for them to look at before the next follow up. Write down the most important questions/points you need to make, 3 or 4 in order of importance so if you're short for time the big stuff will get covered. If you're super lucky and the doctor has time to go over it all with you, then take full advantage of it.
My doctor is great, very proactive, but she's a busy lady so I rarely get chance to ask her everything I want. I saw her yesterday and covered the stuff I had to ask (told her up front that I had some important things I needed). I'll see her again in a couple months so if the issues further down my list are still a problem I can cover them then.

As for the meds, be clear that the Cymbalta works for you (me too!) and you don't want to be on more meds than necessary. if they do prescribe something else, ask exactly why and what its supposed to do.
I'm kind of having the opposite problem. I'd like to get something to help with the bad days, since OTC stuff is pretty useless, but my doc won't prescribe opioids even though they've helped my pain in the past, and hasn't suggested something else like a muscle relaxant (that's on my list of things to ask next time)

I wish dealing with doctors could be thorough and not so rushed, but they're always pressed for time so we need to plan ahead and prioritize. As long as they are willing to listen seriously to what you have (time) to say, and to respect your wishes re: treatment, then I'd say you've lucked out.

Good luck with the new rheumy!

Hi ChinaCat,

I think if you have to butter up the dr.

Sagey

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! You have me almost fallen on the floor with just that ( couldn't yet laugh out loud cause I'm still temporary muted ) . It's something I have been secretly tried since I was young even got caught doing it by some doctors my self, but regardless they never seem to mind it either :mrgreen: . It works every times especially knowing a little more about their personal ideal by asking their assistance about them before hand. I always felt like I have to dust off and dress up my personality for a speed dating every time I have a doctor appointment. Every impressions count. :roll: and oh yeah , I always compounding notes for all my sleep schedules , lists of symptoms , what I found to be helpful, my exercises , my list of meds and supplements . I stop bringing them my bag full of pills cause it seems to scare them off from suggesting anything new.

You always make me smile Tipnatee...something about your cheeky humour.:)

You always make me smile Tipnatee...something about your cheeky humour.:)

And you miraculously continue to help me when I desperately need you most. If it's ok with you. I really must make a sign in my room saying ' Diamond said "don't panic!!" ' If you don't mind of course :D. Cause for some unknown reason that's work faster than any meds I have ever taken combine !

ChinaCat,
Just remember that whatever you write down and give to your doctor becomes a part of your permanent medical record, and that record is not even remotely as private as one would like to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back