Status
Not open for further replies.
I can relate to keeping your diagnosed to yourself....I'm a nurse as well and I know the stigma that comes with fibro from other nurses. I've only told a few people. Stress really makes it worse but I don't know a nursing job that doesn't involve stress :( glad to know I'm not alone :)

After reading the post currently here- I feel I have to toss in my life experience. (LOL) I was a nurse for 16yrs. In Sept 2005 I had to step away from nursing. I was not properly diagnosed at first, and it wasn't until I work up in a severe flare up that I was diagnosed. So for about 3 months after my diagnoses I still tried to work as a nurse. But because I already had arthritis from the years of work on my feet and moving patients, the fibro amplified all that pain to a point I would not be able to move. I did some re-training on my own. Took classes on how to use Word, Excel, Outlook etc. efficiently. I applied for office jobs after temping to get experience. There is way less stress. And now, I am finding my concentration is wavering and I am having trouble doing my job well. I don't know what I would do after this job. First my body gave out and now my mind is giving out, all because of the fibro. I too was always in shape, did martial arts, and jogged. I never weighted more than 150. Now I struggle to stay around 200. I accept that this is were I am today (most days). Since being diagnosed I have gotten steadily worse. I also have major depression disorder. Means I can be suicidal in less that 3 days if I slide. I take a lot of medication to function and I now that is affecting my work performance. So for me, finding balance is getting harder and harder. I know that one day I won't be able to work any more. But that is not today and so everyday I get through it. Each day I get up, go to work, stay at work all day is a day I win. It is a battle, if I have more win days during a week, I get a treat. I can only imagine how that sounds, but it gives me incentive to push my self. and I live on pain meds. That is what I do today to get by, not sure if tomorrow will be the day a big flare up hits and I am down for 3-6 weeks. My work is understanding, but there is a job that needed to be done, and when I am not here, others have to cover my work. Last year I was out three times with 4-5 weeks each time. I live one day at a time. And I try to "win" every week.

Just hearing what you are experiencing is making me feel better. I feel like I am losing my mind. I have been taken out of work right now and have been sitting here wondering how I will ever be able to return. I have nerve studies coming up this week. I am glad to know that this pain is not all in my head. I have been diagnosed with FM but just couldn't believe that I could be in this amount of pain without some major damage going on. I think I have had every test they could think of. I am grateful for the support of this site.

I can totally relate to everyone here. It's really, I guess relieving kind of, to know that I'm not alone. I also have osteoarthritis in my knees and worse in my hands. I am so depressed though that I can barely function.
I am currently on temporary disability due to surgery. I had arthroplasty in my right hand. They put in a prosthetic because there was basically no supportive tissue. You wouldn't believe the pain I had. I got to the point where I could barely use it. It still hurts, just not as bad.
Between the arthritis and the fibro I was really screwing up at work. They probably think I'm an idiot now.
My husband insists that I work but I just can't see myself going back. I am wondering if I could get permanent disability but my Dr's discourage me when I mention it. I want to crawl under a big rock.
I really don't know what to do.

Im sorry your going through this, I am as well. Its hard because everyday is different. Some days I feel fabulous, Others Im in pain. I have to call in and feel horrible about it.

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. You are all brave souls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back