Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
MI
Hello!

Got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia today! : /
I'm new to this forum, I've been having questions about my health for as long as I can remember. For the longest I've had pain in a few places. Hands (includes wrist and fingers) ankles, toes, and elbows. I've been tested dozens of times for lupus, RA, and who knows what else. All come back negative.

I've been seeing a doctor now for about two years and after he referred me to a rheumatologist (which also did test and all came back negative for autoimmune diseases or arthritis) I was back at square one. He thinks its fibromyalgia and wants to put me on Cymbalta.

I have only done a little bit of research on fibro. But based on what I've been reading I don't think I have fibro. Of course everyone is different, and every experiences different pain, but I'm really thinking that it could be something else.

For as long as I can remember I've always felt a very dull, daily pain on my wrist, fingers, ankles, feet, toes, and elbows (all in between the joints). I don't have trouble sleeping. I can go about my day with my pain. I don't wake up stiff in the morning. It doesn't stop me from working out, bike riding, running, lifting. It has never stopped me from doing anything. HOWEVER, when I occasionaly have a very painful "flare up" it usually happens when I'm going to bed. Usually I take some over the counter tylenol and go to sleep. Tylenol or any over the counter's haven't really worked. For the most part the pain is dull and constant, it never goes away.

I've joined this forum to see if anyone that does have fibro can tell me about their pain. Is what I'm feeling sound familiar to any of you? Maybe I am wrong. Who knows?! But I do know that after reading about cymbalta I'm scared to take it! Sounds like an intense drug.

Hi there! Welcome to the forum! Receiving this kind of diagnosis is never easy, so I understand how you feel. I just wanted to tell you that maaaaaaaany of the symptom you listed do sound like fibro, not sure you want to hear that, but yeah... most fibro sufferers have a lot issues with their muscles. If your doctors have ruled out all the other possible diseases you could have, then it's likely your fibro diagnosis is accurate.

Not easy to hear, I know it's hard to believe... but each person experiences fibro in a different way; some worse than others. Some barely feel pain (in comparison to others who seem to be in constant pain). If you trust your doctor, then you shouldn't have the need for a second opinion, but if you don't... I recommend you to go get one.

Since you posted this question twice I am going to refer back to your other post and the answer I gave you. I hope that you can learn from this site and our members that while a diagnosis is important and solves one question, proper management and taking care of our own health both physical and mental is the hardest part of any illness. This forum allows you the chance to learn those skills and be prepared for whatever symptoms you may come down with and have the knowledge of how to handle them. Fibro is not curable, but if properly managed by you and your doctor's, life can be enjoyable again.

This is your other question and my answer: http://www.fibromyalgiaforums.org/f...y-but-do-i-really-have-fibro-help-please.html

Hello and welcome here. Now that you know you have Fibromyalgia, I think it is best to accept the diagnosis. You can get a second opinion but most diagnosis which come from the tests aren't wrong. So all I can suggest is take it up, take your medicines, go for treatment and try to live a normal life.

I hope your doctors are good and the treatment isn't that easy to bear with, but it will be okay with time. Live positively.

Hello there! It's sad to be diagnosed with this kind of illness. Well this is the signs and symptoms of Fibromyalgia I learned during nursing school.

1. Gradual onset of chronic, achy muscle pain.
2. Fatigue
3. Sleep Disturbances
4. Headaches
5. Irritable bowels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back