Is there any one else struggling with having fibro in their 20's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btoppe

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
US
State
ID
I am going crazy. I am only 20 years old and it is hard having fibro for many more reasons than just pain. I am never taken seriously when I say I am to exhausted to work even a 25 hour week. When I say I am in pain I always get a response like "Oh, you're young you will be okay." Also because of my age I will not be referred to a pain clinic or anywhere else that will really help my pain. I more than likely will not get disability either. I just want to work 15 hours a week while I am going to school. Both school in work leave me in a zombie like state. I can not afford to work less than what I am doing. Has anyone else been diagnosed young and had these issues? Share your stories please.

Welcome, have a good read on the site we have loads of young ppl like your self x

I wasn't diagnosed early,but.....I'm sure I had Fibro from a very early age. Had big problems with comprehension, reading, and Math. I can remember my mom Screaming at me, why aren't you getting this? Guess I was born with this crap.

Hi, Btoppe.

I'm 19, almost 20, like yourself. I've had minor symptoms for a few years and severe symptoms since October last year. I totally get it. My own parents didn't believe me until I got diagnosed last month. "You're young." "You're strong." "It's in your head." I got laughed at just the other day at the Social Security Office when I said I was applying for disability. People don't believe us because we're young. But you gotta not let them get to you. You are strong. You are doing the best you can. I haven't been able to work at all these past few several months. Stuck with my parents who barely believe my pain is real.

I'm really sorry no one is referring you to a pain clinic. That's got to be really frustrating. Maybe you can just cold call one and try to arrange an appointment. If not, I'd try another doctor.

I'm 20 and I really stubble with feeling like its all in my head...

CatherineTheGrear, thank god I am not the only one. I have been going to the doctor regularly since January of this year. I have been put on multiple anti-depression medications that make me feel crazy yet my doctor refuses to refer to a pain clinic that might find one medication that will actually help. Have you been referred yet? You can not make an appointment you have to be referred because the addiction rate on opiates. How do you start the process of disability i really want to give it a shot. I know your struggle my family looks at me with such confusion when i complain about my extreme pain.
Iggybogacz
It is in your head to some degree, but that doesn't mean the pain is not real. Our brain is what tells us we are in pain. So our pain sensors in our brain are just amplified compared to someone without the disease.

CatherineTheGrear, thank god I am not the only one. I have been going to the doctor regularly since January of this year. I have been put on multiple anti-depression medications that make me feel crazy yet my doctor refuses to refer to a pain clinic that might find one medication that will actually help. Have you been referred yet? You can not make an appointment you have to be referred because the addiction rate on opiates. How do you start the process of disability i really want to give it a shot. I know your struggle my family looks at me with such confusion when i complain about my extreme pain.

My doctor just sent my referral! I just need to schedule my appointment now. If you go to the website Apply Online for Disability Benefits you can fill out the forms and apply online and then they tell you whether or not you are eligible via mail a couple weeks later. I applied this way, and I've run into some hiccups, but I think I can sort them out soon enough. Turns out I haven't worked long enough since I'm 19 and need 1 1/2 years of work to be eligible. However, because my mom is retired I can (hopefully) get disability through her earnings record. It's complicated and frustrating, just a fair warning. You'll need your doctor(s) to confirm that you are unable to work enough to qualify as disabled. If you aren't eligible for that you may be able to apply for SSI which is based on your household income and need. I don't know that much about that. I've read a lot of people with things like fibro have to hire a disability lawyer to navigate all the bureaucracy because some claims workers tend not to believe fibro patients.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much for the information. I have been at my current job for 10 months and I have plenty of other work experience to qualify. I have read that getting disability with fibro is a struggling process. I have been diagnosed and treated with my family doctor, but I read a diagnoses is more creditable with a Rheumatologist. So I plan on getting a referral from that. I live on my own with my boyfriend and we take care of all our bills. I am just to exhausted to work anymore. My pain at work makes me miserable for the rest of the day and I am unable to live outside of work. I use all of my energy there. I also read that letters from a third party helps with getting disability. Like coworkers, employers, friends, or family. Good luck with your disability process!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back