Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
None
Well I can't avoid it any longer. The time has finally arrived. Forty eight hours from now I will be under the knife having a total shoulder replacement. It scares me to think they are cutting something out of me that I was born with. I am petrified beyond the capacity for rational thought. The surgery doesn't scare me so much as the recovery. My husband is used to being taken care of, he is not used to be the care giver. I am afraid this will all be to much for him. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, taking care of the animals. I am afraid it will just be overwhelming for him. Everyone seems to think he will rise to the challenge and everything will go fine. I don't have anyone close by who can help me if I need it so I have to depend on him. Well, I guess what will be is what will be. Wish me luck.

Good luck, Krista. This is your husband's chance to shine.

I know 2 people who got hip replacements and it really helped them. Hopefully your shoulder surgery will do the same for you.

Krista,

Think positive (yes, I know that is hard), and trust your instincts, but listen to the doctors too. My grandson had rotator cuff surgery earlier this year and he is still having PT. Healing from orthopedic surgery is usually lengthy, so be patient in recovery.

I agree that this will give your husband an opportunity to step up to the plate; he may do things, like cooking, cleaning, etc differently than you; but be sure to express how much you appreciate his efforts, and let go of the 'that's not how I do it' approach.

A friend of mine (the husband) once explained how we (women/mothers/wives) see the whole picture/grid; but the guys/husbands usually only see 1 small square of the grid. lol.
That explanation helped me understand why my husband didn't do things that obviously needed to be done-his view was the tiny square of the grid.

I hope this helps.

My mom had her ankle replaced a few years ago. Once she healed up a bit she said she wished she'd had the surgery sooner because it felt so much better. Here's wishing you happy healing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back