DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi, guys!

My only niece is turning 4 soon and starting school.
I usually see her for her birthday-- brave the city and drive down to visit with her.
I was the nanny for the first 2 years of her life and even though she doesn't recognize other family members, she always recognizes me and comes running when she sees me.
I was always very physical and would wrestle with her and throw her over my shoulder and crawl on the floor with her but now I can't do that.

This past Christmas time was bad and she was upset with me because I couldn't play with her much but I don't think there's a whole lot I could say to her to get her to understand because she just isn't equipped for it yet.

Back at Christmas time, I could still run around just fine but I can barely walk now and may need a cane soon.

So, I wanted to ask the forum-- for those of you who have small children of your own or who have relatives or work in childcare; how do you recommend explaining why I can't play with her like I used to?
How would you do it?

I have a seven year old grandchild and I just explain to her that grandma is sick. I don't go into details because she wouldn't understand but she does understand the word sick. I will play games with her, watch TV with her, read to her and when the pain gets to bad I tell her I am sick and I need to go lie down for awhile. I tell her to play on her iPad, watch TV, do a puzzle or some crafts and when grandma feels better I will play with her again. Usually if I lay down for an hour then I am able to play with her again. She is an old soul and seems to understand. Sometimes she will crawl in bed with me and ask me if I am to sick to talk to her. I tell her "no grandma is never to sick to talk to you" so we will sit and share stories. She likes to hear about what her mommy was like as a child so we will talk about that or she will just lie in bed with me and read to me.

Ah Krista my heart melted a little at how you keep your relationship with your granddaughter going....I bet she loves you...even crawling into bed with you for a story and a talk is priceless to a child.

Even though you are suffering she is in fact learning a vital lesson in caring and understanding and this may serve her well as she grows up into a kind young woman.

Crazycatlady i'm sure Kristas advice will help you.

Don't worry about it. Children are very forgiving, loving, and kind. One time with my Grandaughter she made a comment about why I didn't wear shorts, I said I felt embarrest, she said" That's ok Grandma I love every inch of you. She's not going to judge you or be disapointed in you. Children are precious jewls, all they know is Love. I'd say tell her the truth, (if she asks). There are times I have to turn noise off, and tell my Grandkids, " Grandma is just super sensative to noise right now, so let's use our quiet sound.
We play........let's see who can hold there breath the longest game. Lol. Some days in the heat I just can't join, so I'll sit in shade, or watch from my window as they play in the heat. Go for a drive in the car with air conditioning.

I have a four year old, and all u can say is the truth.she really does not understand mummy hurts. But it helps if I point to the bits that hurt, and say that hurts mummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back