How much of an impact has fibro had on your loved ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotch

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NC
I ask this from the perspective of someone who doesn't suffer from fibro himself but has a loved one stricken with it. Ever since you've suffered from this horrible, debilitating ailment how has your family reacted and behaved? Has it been harder for them to cope with your constant pain, having to adjust their lifestyles if they live with you? Has your condition had noticeable effects on the wellbeing and stress of others?

A disease doesn't necessarily hurt the afflicted the most, but often times their loved ones that must watch your constant suffering, unable to do anything to help. :( I am curious on different perspectives, that is all!

My family has been very supportive. It's mainly been a financial burden, given that I can't work for now and I spend so much money on flying out to see my doctor and his treatments. But my husband is very busy with a career he really loves, and he has projects he enjoys working on alone when I don't have the energy to do something with him. He hasn't needed to take care of me so much anymore.

I was only just diagnosed this week, but the symptoms I've had in the past year have put a huge strain on my boyfriend and I. I've been depressed and withdrawn, and he does all kinds of amazing things to try to help me feel better but then gets discouraged when he sees me feeling depressed again. I feel guilty for burdening him so much with my constant complaining, and also for some less-than-kind remarks I've made when not feeling well-he's in college and working part time so he has enough of his own issues to deal with. We also haven't been intimate much, which is also my own fault, as my sex drive is literally nonexistant, and that obviously causes a lot of tension. We're in therapy to work through some of these issues and the two of us are committed to making this work no matter how stressful it is. My immediate family didn't say much...my sister seemed to kind of write it off as not a big deal, I haven't talked to my dad, and my mom was pretty supportive when I told her...sorry I kinda rambled a bit, but I hope this helps

Since my best friend was diagnosed with it, his entire family is sadder and even the closer friends induce you a 'mourning' atmosphere.

I can talk from both perspectives actually, because as a teen I saw my older sister suffering from this. I must admit that back then I had no idea what she was going thru. I heard her complaining and talking about her pain, I often heard about her multiple doctor visits and such. But back then I didn't think that much about it. I just couldn't understand it, since I wasn't experiencing what she was experiencing. So I can't say it affected me that much, plus I was so young and carefree back then.

Now... the story is completely different! Because I now completely relate to what she has and is still going thru nowadays. So yeah, people who are not suffering from this might never understand, unless it happens to them as well.

It seems that the family is more affected than the friends. It makes sense, since they couldn't have ever expected this to happen to you and it must be very difficult to see your own son in agony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back