DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
state
Hello Everyone,

I am starting a new job at a residnece for mentally and developmentaly disabled individuals. In the past I had to quit every single job I had because of illness issues. I really need the money and am not on disability, so even though I do not feel fully capable of doing this and having enough spoons to be as sane and healthy as I want to, I have to do this.

The individuals are high functioning so I will not be having much physical labor, but it is up 2 flights of stairs. I will be needing to do some housework there, like cleaning up after individuals, taking them for a walk, accompanying them to places and help establish this new residency. I have never mentioned my health issues before at a job and wanted some advice as how to appraoch it.

Here are a few of my concerns:
*Music will be playing too loud.
*The residence manager will ask me to carry, move around, or reorganize heavy things. (Or things that arent so heavy for her, but with my fatigue and pain are very much for me).
*I will be asked to walk very long distances with the individuals several times a day.

*I will be working 34 hour shifts, it is a weekend shift and I get to sleep at night. (I did this so I can attend school during the weekdays).
I will need to rest and close my eyes for about 5/10 minutes every few hours, in other words take an energy nap. How do I go about mentioning this?

I will be starting my first weekend this week. I am also not sure if I should go directy to the residence manager or my co-workers whom I will be with most of the time during my shift.

Any advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and care!

Aww, I feel bad for you. I feel like you should just be honest with your manager and tell him/her exactly about your issues. Good luck!

With this economy... I'd test the waters the first week and see how you handle it. Sometimes talking about this kind of things might put you at risk of every thing you do... good or bad of being constantly monitored. If it was me I'd wait a bit to see what kind of person that manager is, as I said... with this economy I'd not take second guesses!

I would not offer up any info but if they ask you a straight forward question then you need to answer honestly, if they are mentally challenged than you must be ready to deal with anything that might happen. I would think long and hard about this one. Good luck.

You absolutely have to be upfront and let them know what you can and can't do. If you don't tell them, they may be annoyed if there are certain parts of the job that aren't covered that they had expected to be. However, if you make sure that they have the required information, they will then be able to make allowances so that all of the work can get done.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I seemed to have gotten advice saying to go ahead and talk and to stay clear of mentioning anything. I jut spoke with the residence manager who is my supervisor. She needed to speak with me regarding information about the consumers I will be working with. These girls have lots of issues and limitations, though she always speaks of them very highly. When I told her "I have something with my leg muscles, and I noticed that people were running up and down the stair for different things, I wouldn't be the best counselor to do that". There are always at least 4 others on shift with me. She suddenly changed her tone of voice. She wSnt mean, but it sounded like she was thinking. I also told her that I am capable, I have my own place which I maintain, but in regards to the stairs I need to take it easier than the average.

I feel like crying. I know that it's a new job and she doesn't know me well. But I have met her several times in the course of doing paperwork, fire drills, and other things. She saw how I interact with the girls. This is a rhetorical question, but why is it then when I have one limitation I mention to her she doubts me so. It is so unfair, being that he is in the field of disibility. I knew this might happen. It didn't go badly but not that well either. She is such a warm and understanding person (I saw this from the way she interacted with the consumers). I am upset that it didn't go better. I will not mention anything else until I at least have my first shift.

It's so unfair. People are so ableist, especially in the work force. It is wrong.

Totally understand, my job does not know about my fibro, it is a physically challenging job, I only work 2days a week, plus extra shifts when offered,
It takes the days off just to recoup, plus my own work at home. I am afraid of loosing my job if they knew. I am already going for carpal tunnel surgery, knowing anything else
would be to much. Its a shame to have to hide in plane sight, but the shame people make you feel it is worth it, certainty it is best to be honest, but on the other hand I don't want to be homeless either, hang in there.

Hi!
congrats on the new job.
Learn to work around it. the best piece of advice I got from my rhemo doc though a bit late was that I need to work. The minute I put my feet up, it will be back. So that means, take the exercise that comes to you as part of your routine. try to work your way around it. For loud music use cotton ear buds to silence it down. take help of co workers whenever you can without becoming a sorry figure. Using an excuse " I hurt my finger today" could be better. You have to say something that people relate to. Thats all I can suggest. I know you'll do it better!

Aww, I feel bad for you. I feel like you should just be honest with your manager and tell him/her exactly about your issues. Good luck!

I say the same. You must be honest and always tell the truth, I also want to say that I support you and I'm sorry for your troubles. I sincerely hope you solutions. Thanks for sharing your issues and express it.

Congratulations on the job! I think you've heard both sides of the suggestion coin. I have been a manager for a very long time and have worked with some who are compassionate like I am and others who see any kind of weakness as someone to cut out of the team. My suggestion would be to take a deep breath and don't feel defeated yet. When you were offered the job, were you given a position description or "essential functions"? Essential functions are what you MUST be able to do to be successful in the job. If you weren't, then they need to tread lightly on how they treat you if you've disclosed you have a health condition. If you were and the essential functions of the job said you must be able to climb 3 sets of stairs multiple times per day and lift 80 pounds and you can't then it's probably not going to be a position you will be in very long. I don't say that to scare you. The reality is, if you can do the work but it's painful, you may just need to keep silent at this time given the reaction you got. If you can do most of the duties and do them well, excel in those areas. Offer to do more of the things in those areas if the opportunity arises. I'm not familiar with the work so don't really know if that is an option, just throwing out ideas.

Have you been looking for a job for a long time? If not, I might think about continuing to look for something less physical on your off days. Good luck and keep us posted....Fake it til you make it.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back