Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2012
Country
CA
State
ON
How do you keep working? I had to quit my job I tried my best but couldn't do it anymore. Doctors say keep working but it seems impossible. How do you keep going at work? is it getting to much for you to? I would like to here your story.

There are so many variables, and no one should compare their story to another's. Fibro/cfs affects each of us differently and limits us each to varying degrees. Some jobs are easier to manage with fibro than others (e.g., quiet desk job vs. construction worker).

I am fortunate. While my fibro/cfs is bad enough that there are definitely some jobs I could no longer do, I was able to transition to a job that was less physically demanding. I have great co-workers, so stress is very low. It is an ideal job for me with my fibro.

Having said that, there are some days I have to re-arrange my work project schedule around whether I'm having a "good" fibro day or not. And 100% of my days end with me having to drive the quarter mile home because I can't walk that far anymore. I come home, fix something easy for supper (or bring home take-out) and crash in the recliner until bed. I do no housework except to grocery shop on Saturday. My child has to do the laundry, dishes, and the usual housekeeping work. Sometimes a friend comes by and cleans my house or bakes meals for me to freeze.

That's how I survive. I'm a single parent, so not working is not a financially-viable option for me. It sucks that basically all I can do is work and lie in bed, but that's my reality. The positive side is that my child is learning independence, and while I can't be out playing ball in the yard, we have instead cultivated a rich life from the recliner. We've read literally thousands of pages of books aloud together. I do a lot of intimate listening and we discuss the deep questions of life. If I were physically able to be busy, perhaps we would have missed these precious quiet times together.

So now you've heard some of my story.

As above post said ,every persons story is different . Some sit at a desk some clean some stand on there feet all day. So everyone copes in there own way.
I just cleaned in a army camp I loved the job and the ppl. But the Dr told me to quit.i new he was right as I was falling asleep at the wheel. So like u I didn't cope. But I don't feel bad about it.im not on benefits so I feel happy about that at lest. But money is very tight. But at leat I have a life now.

Hi Lana,

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling right now. I had to stop working a year ago and I am still struggling a lot with the fact that it had come to that, as I have always been so independent and hard working. I had a similar feeling to you, I just couldn't do it anymore and the doctor told me to stop working. He said that eliminating as much stress as possible was imperative to managing things with my health. My job is high stress and very demanding as I work in law enforcement, but even though I am off work I still struggle just as much in terms of my health/symptoms. I have been diagnosed with several different conditions, including fibro, but I understand how difficult it can be to cope and keep going when you feel like this and things seem to be deteriorating.

The one thing that is good about being off is that I can do things at my own pace. Most days are so hard to get going but at least now I can lay down whenever I need to. Out of curiosity why did the doctor tell you to go back to work? Have you told him how bad this is for you? Please do what is good for you, and make sure that you place yourself as number one priority.

I still have a hard time accepting what my life has become, and always feel bad about the fact that I am off work, but I am starting to realize that the most important thing is trying to take care of ourselves. This idea is so easily lost. I have a huge tendency to worry a lot of other people thoughts of me and my situation and whenever I speak to anyone on this site it put things into perspective and i usually feel a little better about myself.

If you need to talk private message me anytime. xo

Lots of thoughts and prayers out to you Lana, and everyone else as well.

Lyndsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back