Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
UK
State
anywhere
Has anyone experienced muscles turning flabby through inactivity.

I am not over weight only 126 pounds but after a long period of inactivity due to pain and fatigue i am shocked by how saggy my inner knees thighs abs and bottom and upper arms are.

You cant see it under clothes but i can feel it all floppy...yuk.

More importantly all you that know me know my pain has increased dramatically and i am beating myself up for all the days i have laid around ...but then i have hurt so much hot water bottles and bed was all i could do...it's catch 22.

Its making me very depressed the severe pain..being shut indoors and beating myself up thinking i should have walked circuits around the house or up and down the path even if it killed me regularly even if only 5 minutes.

Last edited:
It's makes us all depressed, I've put on tons of weight.
I don't see how I'm ever going to get it off.food is my one comfort .yet now I can't do much a little food does a lot of damage.
I'm also feeling very unhealthy .isnit the pills or the weight I don't no.i walk as must as I can on my good days.but there few and far between .

Oh its not how it looks that concerns me it's that my muscles are suddenly even weaker through wasting.

Hi willow, my legs are really bad and I spend long periods of in activity, I get my gp to refer me to physio and pain clinic who kindly send me to hydrotherapy, this helps, exercise from physio are gentle but help keep me moving.

Hi Misschloe thank for replying. What sort of exercises does the physio do? my legs knees and hips are so painful i am a bit afraid of physio.

It was my bodies severe reaction to physio in 2008 that led to my diagnosis.

After 6 leg raises my knees seized up to point i was hobbling and an exercise bringing my arms up over my head for what they thought might be the start of a frozen shoulder just a few times and my body seized up in agony for 3 weeks all through my arm shoulder ribs and back.

No one ...especially me knew what an earth was going on and my reaction to these exercises seemed crazy to me and the medical profession.

Hi willow no wonder you were crippled doing leg raises, my leg exercises are sitting down position, sit on comfy chair from seated position gently raise to standing position using your arms to help if need , I started with five then worked to ten, but only 3times a week if you feel comfortable you can do more, also sitting down bend leg then gently straighten Ido 5each leg 4days a week opposite the other exercises, just do what your comfortable with, have you tried hydrotherapy I did it 1hour a week , it's relaxing and pain free for a whole hour heaven, I did this through the pain clinic, they do have physio who are trained to treat patients with fibro, I was given this info through my pain clinic , they have lots of different things you can try, not all help but some do, and anything is worth trying even to get a little relief from pain ,i get a gel from doctor to rub on my legs this helps , not cure but provides some relief. Hope this helps

Thanks Misschloe...oh yes those are gentle exercises.Thats a great help as i thought more vigorous exercises would be required.

Some people with fibro can walk miles and play golf ride a bike and that always been a mystery to me. Even when i first got it 7 years ago and could still walk for about 40 minutes some days and potter about the garden a bit but i could never do anything vigorous after fibro set in.

I would love to try pool therapy but i have vulvodynia and Interstitial cystitis and cant go in chlorinated water or near anything chemically or perfumed as my skin is so sensitive it even burns with pure water and flares it all up.

I have just done a venting post!!

i appreciate your reply x

What good ideas Miss Chloe!

Yea, some people can excel even with FM but the conditions and circumstances are different. Especially when you have put on weight due to inactivity. Know what? Inactivity results in muscle atrophy and in the place of muscle, fat accumulates. I bet that fat increases weight which worsens the fibro especially with such conditions as sciatica. By the way, has anyone tried to cope through swimming? It is very effective followed by a hot bath in the evening.

It's makes us all depressed, I've put on tons of weight.
I don't see how I'm ever going to get it off.food is my one comfort .yet now I can't do much a little food does a lot of damage.
I'm also feeling very unhealthy .isnit the pills or the weight I don't no.i walk as must as I can on my good days.but there few and far between .

I am having the exact same problem! I have gained lots of weight in the last one and half years, sadly... and yeah, I am also very depressed and use food to comfort myself. Bad days are the most depressing, but my diary is helping me cope a little better. I vent there, lately I've been needing it more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back