Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
CA
State
Manitoba
Hello! I know with fibromyalgia there are the tender points, but I've checked and this dosent seem to be one. For years, the upper part of my arm has been very sensitive and tender, to the point that even the lightest pat or tap hurts and radiates and lasts for a while.
I am in the middle of a big flare right now and they are unbearably sore. The muscles seem to be very tight and my shoulders crack when I raise or move my arms a certain way.

Does anyone experience this? Do you know what could help?

Thank you!

Hello Sabrina,
Your upper arm tenderness sounds just like mine. I'm not sure about the others on the forum but my upper arms are one of my most sensitive spots. Sensitive to touch, that is....I don't recall them aching like my legs do for no apparent reason but it can be excruciating if someone grabs my arm. You are not alone on this one. I found massage with long sweeping strokes towards the armpit helpful....fluid drainage type of thing.
Welcome to the forum

me too........one of the most sensitive places. And has pain flares for no apparent reason.
It's all part of the disease, I think.

Hello Sabrina, I have been experiencing the same things for several years now. I get very tender to touch, occasionally I am so sensitive that I feel pain when my wife caresses my arms or chest. I did some research and then discussed it with my Neurologist and he explained that there is a condition that is associated with Fibromyalgia, it is called "Allodynia". Which is described as a heightened level of pain to being touched, often I need to sleep on the floor so that I have less in contact below me. I know that that is crazy but there is some relief for me. Allodynia is often treatable though so you should discuss that with your Dr. I hope that this helps.

thank you! I will look into this!

Hi Sabrina,

Yes, the arms are sensitive with a lot of Fibromyalgia patients.I notice when I do a repetitive act with my muscles they get weak.My pain increases in that area and I can get sensitive to touch.
Sometimes my husband will joke around and push on my upper shoulder and it will hurt immediately.It could be just a little tender,and other times worse.

So I would say it is one of the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. Warm compresses seem to soothe mine and use numbing oinments on my shoulder. I also take some kind of antinflammatory. Whether it's prescribed by my doctor, or over the counter. I usually try Tylenol arthritis first then Motrin. I try to avoid Motrin because of my sensitive stomach. But if I have to I will eat something like a cracker before.

Feel better ,

Sagey

It's quite common for upper arms to be painful. I get it in both bicep muscles, a deep aching pain that makes me want to scream (sometimes I really do scream). Remember, Fibromyalgia is a disease of the muscles, so anywhere you have a muscle, you can have it Flare into pain.

Koren

Somehow, the outer parts of my whole body are very sensitive, so that includes my arms. A slight tap on the my outer part of my arm will cause this radiating pain up and down.

If it is even painful to touch (even a slight brush), it could indeed be allodynia. I recently learned that this pain has an official name and definition and is often seen with fibro. I used to have this a lot in my early 20's, on my legs. Had not had it in a long time.

When I had allodynia on my legs, it was hell to even be wearing trousers or sitting anywhere, so I would bandage the areas quite tightly. The bandages would hurt in the beginning, but somehow I'd get used to them after about 30 minutes, and the annoying part of the pain would go away.

For all kinds of localized pain, my go-to solutions are also cold or hot packs (mostly hot packs though). And lots of rest..... :)

My arms ache every day to varying degrees ever since i got fibro which is 10 years and the more i use them the worse the pain builds.

They also hurt to touch....some days more than others but its always present.

I use hot water bottles and rest..very little medication wise helps

Hi,
I experience arm pain a lot in the forearm as well as upper arm. Do any of you experience pain inside of your elbows?

Yes missy this is a fibro tender point each side of the elbow joint. Mine makes me really ouch if you press it it like a nasty knotted muscle that never goes away.

I'm too get those pain so much so even clothing is difficult to wear on my skin , even just a bit of the seams it could felt like a constant cuts, electric pains , or even suffocating pains feelings. Especially tender skin parts like fold arms , inner thighs , under legs&knees , belly, neck , and over all over my body. I have to look for soft knit rayon, light weight cotton, and light satin silk fabric with lots of room to move around so it won't touch me so much especially during flare up. But when the sensitivity gets to stronger flare up pains on my skin , I use pain patches . I bought lots of them and always need more. It can trigger my brains to lesser the pain in those area I put on the patches. Sometimes I even use the patches on bug bites ( to stop my fibro to aggravate or intense the itches) or intense burning pains on my skin like my knees can also claim down some. My favorite patches is salonpas and any other lidocaine patches in the market also fantastic.

Hi Sabrina , upper arms hurt so Bad. I have to use a heating pad on them at night , by alternating each arm , so I don't get much sleep.

I just started using my Tens Unit again ( Empi XL) It might helps some , not sure.
I need to have my neck fused at C4, 5. Possibly 6 too.
That can cause pain and numbness all the way to your finger tips.
I can't afford to do this , it's $125,000 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back