For Those Unable to Work: How Do You Spend Your Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamahawk

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
CA
State
British Colimbia
I am really getting close to not being able to work. I am scared . Of course it will make a great financial impact on our family . But I am also scared about how I will spend my time. I realize the reason for not being able to work is to look after my health.
I would think my days would include some exercise , and rest. But I am fearful of sitting around all day doing nothing until my husband gets home. My kids are grown .
My fatigue is severe.
So I ask to those of you who are already unable to work. What are some of the ways that you spend your time?

Do you have a skill, such as a creative outlet like knitting, or drawing, or painting? If so, you could put your time into these, and then try to sell what you make. Also, if you find that you're unable to go out much but are happy enough resting in your home, you may find that inviting friends round for lunch or a cup of tea would be acceptable and manageable for you.

Find some television shows that you like, learn a new language, read those books you've always been meaning to - make the most of the quiet time that you have. And, of course, take some time to exercise where you can, because it will honestly help.

Are you a good writer? Is there a novel in your head that you've always wanted to write down on paper but you've never had the time to do that? Look to the positives!

You might also find that you would benefit from having an animal in the house, such as a cat. It would be company for you, but it doesn't take a lot of looking after.

I am not currently working, but am new to it. I feel like I'm playing catch-up right now, with rest and general house cleaning. I make lists of what I want to accomplish, but don't put pressure on myself of having to complete it. It's just to help me keep focused. Several of the weeks, I wasn't able to complete any of the items on the list. I did feel bad because my husband comes home on Thursday night and it all fell to him to take care of. We have slowly started getting some chores done (laundry was 2 months behind!).

My intention is to make a weekly chart of things to do, including exercise. I have my own honey-do list if I can get to a point where I feel up to it, I might finish some tasks we started years ago.

I currently read and play some Facebook games, talk with friends and my mom. I brush my golden retriever, give the chickens sunflower seeds, or rest on the deck if the weather is nice....I've also spent a fair amount of time at medical appointments and working on social security paperwork.... :-(

Everyone has different interests and ideas of what they want to accomplish. I still have a lot of research to do on gluten free. I need to begin meal planning because I don't have any appetite or energy to shop and cook for myself and family.

Saying you don't want to sit around all day, already will ensure you don't. Put your thinking cap on and come up with ideas of what you want to do each day/week.....Good luck! :)

I guess the social situation is slightly different for me as I live in the UK and for those who can access it the welfare support can be good. I have not been able to work since 2005 - but then my job was physical and required several miles walking every day - not good when you are exhausted after less than half a mile.

Having said that I am not and never have been good at sitting around doing nothing. Since being unable to "work" properly I have maintained the goal of managing to eventually bring in some sort of independent income. I have taught myself web design and currently have a couple of sites that are for non profit making organizations which I am not paid for but which act as evidence I am doing something. I have attempted a couple of more commercial sites which have not come off as yet but I keep trying. I also got myself a proper camera and have some pictures for sale on a micro stock site - and will add more. I do not know if I will achieve self sufficiency but I do hope eventually to have an income which I can point to and say that is my work.
The internet is wonderful for me - people looking at a screen cannot tell if I am working from my bed having been unable to get up, or if I am not dressed or whatever. Reading my posts they cannot tell how many times I have had to hit the delete key or if I am using voice recognition software. They do not know how long a post has taken me they only see the words I want them to and the real me- the brain inside, comes through.

Nice Cyberpuppet! I applaud you for your creativity. I didn't know a person could do some of those things as a freelance. Great information!

I ride my bike for a short time. try to clean house. when I get sore and tired I watch t.v.

I work from home, I complete several small online tasks most of the day and that keeps me very busy. When I'm not doing that I watch TV, exercise, cook or play a game on my mobile. I also play video games from time to time, I love reading and surfing the web ;) You can do many things while at home, it's all about finding what interests you. It'd be great if you could find a job online.

Do you have a skill, such as a creative outlet like knitting, or drawing, or painting? If so, you could put your time into these, and then try to sell what you make. Also, if you find that you're unable to go out much but are happy enough resting in your home, you may find that inviting friends round for lunch or a cup of tea would be acceptable and manageable for you.

Find some television shows that you like, learn a new language, read those books you've always been meaning to - make the most of the quiet time that you have. And, of course, take some time to exercise where you can, because it will honestly help.

Are you a good writer? Is there a novel in your head that you've always wanted to write down on paper but you've never had the time to do that? Look to the positives!

You might also find that you would benefit from having an animal in the house, such as a cat. It would be company for you, but it doesn't take a lot of looking after.

I loved all your ideas, I think they are all great suggestions. I specially liked the writing and cat one. I heard that having a furry friend to pet from time to time can be really helpful to relieve stress.

Learning a new language is very helpful, but I think she could benefit a lot by trying teaching english online ;)

I took up writing. I went back to school to get a masters in a field to start a private practice but once this hit I barely finished the program. So I got lucky and took up writing in my field. I have a home office but still it can be hard to work.

I havent worked since March of 2013. At first I played catch up on my good days. Now I try to accomplish something everyday. Whether it be cleaning out a cupboard or a closet. Just something to make me feel I have accomplished something. Of course I guage the tasks on whether I am having a good day or a bad day and that determines the size of the accomplishment. I have also started some new hobbies, painting, and crafting. I look on pinterest and have made most of my Christmas presents for this year. It may take me longer than someone who doesnt have fibro, but thats ok. The hardest thing for me being the control freak I am and not being able to work was the feeling of losing control of my life. Feeling like the fibro dictated what I could and couldnt do. Not so! I can do whatever I want, I just know my limits now and know how far I can push myself 'so I wont be hurting the next day. I also have sometimes that I say I would rather do this today and enjoy myself knowing I may hurt tomorrow than just not live at all. So find what you like doing and just do it. youll get to know your limits.

I spend my time on the computer. I try to make money online for a quick buck of cash. I don't know what else I do when i'm not on my computer, everything else is boring.

I garden (good source of exercise and excellent self-therapy) when I can, read books (a lot), play on computer and play video games. I also have kids in elementary school so they take up quite a bit of my time too. I try to take walks after taking them to school if I am up to it that day. Try my best to keep things at least somewhat clean in my house and I am learning graphic design slowly but surely... so many things that a person can do that is stuck at home. I don't drive and I don't have a job so I am doubly stuck at home lol. Believe me, where there is a will there is a way when it comes to finding things to occupy yourself with. :)

I spend a lot of time caring for my mom, but on my days off I enjoy reading and gardening. I am also cleaning house and finding many childhood treasures. I like cooking and baking. I play on the computer with odds and ends of different web searches and doing surveys for fun. I listen to music and watch short video clips. And I love watching movies. :)

Even if because of the ailment you feel you cannot do certain jobs it does not mean that you cannot do some creative jobs at least jobs that require the use of the mind will be better of than doing jobs that may require a lot of physical work that to me i my humble opinion. So jut think about it.

I joined a health club. I normally try to go to the water exercises Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday.
I've met some great people who are caring & helpful. I met someone who was newly diagnosed & never heard of Fibromyalgia. I bought a yoga cd from my Dahn Yoga class. (Since I stop taking the class) I also have my wii exercise. And I love to cook, it relaxes me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back