Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
US
State
NY
Hello.
I hope you're all staying strong today.

This is my first post here, because I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia just last Tuesday. I'm a little lost because I know I don't want to have Fibro, but I'm also not sure if I trust my doctor. Some background: I suffered a shoulder/trapezius injury about 2 years ago. Since then I was struggling with the pain, which was horrible at times, and which affected my Ulnar nerve (along both arms) causing me more pain. But that was the only pain until about 5 months ago when I hurt both hips and was going to rehab. Rehab then hurt my feet and I got tendinitis. This was about 2 months ago.

This whole time I've been under a lot of stress at work (horrible boss) and also a bad bad relationship that was mentally hurting me and causing me horrible anxiety. Then about 1 month ago I started to feel tired, horrible depression (like almost suicidal) and anxiety that wouldn't go away, and my ulnar nerve/shoulder pain/feet pain then came all at once. This was all exacerbated when 3 weeks ago I had to take a very important test. The night before the test I woke up with an anxiety attack and barely slept, but felt ok. I took a pain killer and felt mostly fine during the test. The rest of the week I was forced to work every day long hours and was barely sleeping. I then went to the Rheumatologist the following week (last week) and she diagnosed me with Fibro - and at that point I stopped sleeping, went into ultra depression/anxiety - and I'm now trying to recover. I was tested for everything, lyme disease, hepatitis, rheumatoid, lupus, thyroid, diabetes, and more - all negative. I'm as healthy as a horse!

It's been weird because I started to read about the Fibro symptoms and suddenly got them - headaches, head pressure. I also had never truly felt I had insomnia until that point, but all of last week (and still struggling now) I was so anxious about sleeping that I couldn't. I wasn't sure if I was getting the headaches because of the Fibro or not sleeping or eating. I also stopped eating and began to feel sick with GERD (which I used to have years ago but went away).

I feel anxious all the time but when I'm at the gym or when I make an effort to keep myself together. I don't even watch TV since the diagnosis because it now seems too loud and too bright. I wake up achy every morning (but that's been the case for years, except now it feels different. I'm trying really hard to not let my depression get me because that combined with my anxiety feels like the worse and that's when I really feel Fibro symptoms. As far as my pain - I feel particular parts spread all over my body but rarely more than one at the same time. The only time I feel pain spread through a limb is when my anxiety hits, then I feel tingling burning (particularly when I wake up in the middle of the night, which is 1-2x). The more I read about Fibro the worse I get, more anxious/depressed. When I fight my mind I feel better and I'm able to ignore most of the pain. I actually don't even take pain killers, just suffer through it.

I'm going to a therapist tomorrow because sometimes I do fear it's all my anxiety/depression that's driven me crazy. My rheumatologist told me to just go to the gym, eat healthy, and go see someone about my anxiety/depression. She didn't understand she threw me off a cliff, but seemed to think everything will be fine if I just do those simple things. I kind of hate her LOL

So, I'm just confused because sometimes I read about Fibro and it sounds dead on and sometimes it doesn't. Should I just keep going to another doctor? Was I diagnosed too early? if it's not all in my head, then how is it that I can control my symptoms by forgetting about Fibro? I did find out I have 2 aunts that were diagnosed with Fibro. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Welcome. Panic attacks are not fun. I used to pass out.it was one of the hardest things to stop.if your wind up all the time then your going to hurt all over.
But that's doesn't mean you don't have fibro. I would first try to sort out the panic , after that a little more steady maybe u can see if the pain is due to your stress or whether u indeed do have fibro.
Now I'm not saying your Dr wrong ,fibro hits a lot of ppl after they have had an injury or an op. The problem u have is stress make pain worse . And pain make u stressed.
If u feel another drs insight is needed to settle your mind go for it,it can't hurt.and by all means come in and chat.:) there is no text book on how fibro should feel, we all have it diffrent and a lot more then what the Internet tells u. So a lot of what u don't think could be fibro might be what another has all the time with theres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back