Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2017
Country
UK
State
Scotland
Does anyone know if you can still donate blood with fibro or has anyone donated since they were diagnosed? I used to give blood regularly but have missed the last couple of sessions. I have a rare blood type and have received the usual letter inviting me to donate plus a separate letter saying they are seriously low on stocks of my blood type. I really want to give if I can.

Thanks

Good question. Your best bet would be to contact the red cross (or whatever the blood services group is called in the UK), as each country will likely have it's own rules concerning any given disease. As a medical lab tech in Canada I can say that here there is no screening for FM, as it is not a blood-borne illness. Based on that I would guess you would be able to give blood, but as I metioned, check with the locals.

BTW, what type are you ? I'm AB pos, which is about 3% of the pop I believe... makes me a terrible donor, but luckily for me I can accept anyone's blood - universal receiver as opposed to type O neg, the universal donor. Thus endeth the lesson ;)

Thanks dobbiebrother. I'm O neg, the universal donor. Think there's about 7% of the population with that type. I'll probably just go along anyway and the nurses can advise me, they won't accept a donation if it is going to put my health at risk.

Good luck Lou, I'm happy to hear you are so commited to giving blood,particularly as you are the perfect type for all blood products, packed cells, whole blood, plasma, etc. When they see me coming they just sadly shake their heads and look awkwardly at their feet ;)

Lol doobiebrother. Your reply made me laugh ��

I've given blood.as fibromyalgia isn't blood related or passed on by blood ,it's fine.but you can still ask

I went along to give blood tonight and after much confusion about one of the meds I'm taking (Codipar), they were happy to accept my blood & so far I feel fine, long may it last ��

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back