I just got Gabapentin- Any feedback would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prepare to gain up to 30 lbs.

I could not tolerate Gaby, burned my stomach, even a low dose with food. Am now on Savella and it works well--so far. Dr. didn't want to prescribe it at first as its only been on the market since '09. But the pain was too great.

I am on gabapentin, i dunno if it actually works as on quite a few meds when i went on it. I have always had mental hewlth problems and i ended up in hospital whdn i started it and suicidal when i missed 2 days. Had to come off naproxen as it made me very ill even with omeproloze. Pain is pretty bad n im taking 900mg gabapentin and cocodamol.
Just wanted people to know that one of the side effects is suicidal behaviour not to scare but to inform as i was uninformed of this.i hope it helps you if not seek other meds

Thank you so much to all of you who have commented important facts and experience.
My update:
I am now up to 1000mg a day, 400mg in the morning and 600mg at bed time. I have gained 6 lbs since I started and that was only like 4 weeks ago. I am really trying to keep the carbs and sugar down. I think this med causes really bad cravings for them. Like the depression does too, but nothing like what this med is causing. So I battle that. BUT my pain level is down to about 2/3 most days down from 6/7 days. I can physically move better. My muscles are more fluid because they don't hurt. I have been able to "car dance" again. (I loved dancing and I love to dance in my car when I am driving to music). I couldn't do that before. I didn't want to move anything I didn't have to.

Over all I am pleased with this medication. I do not dare miss a dose( thanks so much Sarsarz85 for your sharing). Other than the weight gain, I have no other issues. I will put a bigger effort in to healthy eating and see if that helps the weight stop. I do think some of the weight is water because my fingers are really puffy in the mornings and they are only like that when I retain water. I have started some dandelion to see if that helps a bit.

I am newly diagnosed and began taking Gabi 3 weeks ago. It has reduced my pain by about 30-40%. It doesn't seem to help the osteoarthritis pain as much tho. I noticed a steady improvement going into the third week. 900 mg is all i can handle at this point (makes me tired). Good luck and keep us posted. I hope it keeps helping us both. I wish there was a medications section on here so we could see what meds are most helpful for symptom relief. This is such a confusing condition! Thanks to all!

Hi Reading Lady,
I agree with you on the comment that is not helping with the arthritis pain. I have the same type of arthritis and it hasn’t helped that either. But for the overall pain, the muscle pain it has probably brought me down to 1-2 pain level. With the exception of the arthritis but that is just a specific spot pain, not the whole body. And I have severe ostio in my back, hips, knee’s and ankles/feet.
For me having all the muscle/total body hurt gone is a huge thing for me. BUT do beware- you will crave sweets! I really need to be careful because I want carbs/sweets like a drug! LOL and they do say you can easily gain weight on the Gaby. The first 4 weeks on it I gained 6lbs! But now I am losing it again. I really have to watch my calories close. Overall I am very happy with the results of the medication. I am now up to 1200mg and staying there. For now, that seems to be all I need for the relief. I have not had to get a narcotic pain med in the last week. For me that is shocking! I am usually taking break through medication about 4 of 7 days a week. I take Ralivia – 24hr release pain med. So that is now holding well by itself. I can walk better and exercise a bit more not. It doesn’t set off pain like it did before.
Keeps us updated with your progress too! Gentle hugs!

hi ya folks, i just want to point out to you both that gabby will not stop or do anything for the arthritis pain. it is a nerve blocker.
I so glad the gabby is working for you both. 1200 is not a lot. 2700 is max. i went from 3600 oops to 1800 now. still dont seam to stop the sharp knife pains from the nerves. im thinking my doc said there is nothing left for me to take. my eye site is now getting worse. i wish id never taken the lyrica.
living with pain or being able to see my wife? id take the eye site. please folks read the med guide and decide for yourself if the side effects out weight the pain you are having. may you all have many low pain days ahead.

Did the Lyrica cause the eye site? is that why you are having issues with your eye site?

yes!

lose of eye site is a side effect of it. so im told by two doctors and an eye doctor.

they must dilate the eye to do the surgery.

they use epinephrine to do this. i cant have that because my eye will explode per my eye doctor.

you must be awake during the surgery. im also allergic to prolonged contact to plastic. my lupus will start attacking that area.
so i cant even wear contact lens after they remove the lens from my eye.

im may have to change my name from see me(cme) to cant cme..lol

be well and hang in there with me. we can all get through this together!

I am afraid it did nothing to help me.
I have not found any meds that help me and I am waiting to hear back from my doctor to see if there's anything else that might help, unfortunately I have hereditary glaucoma which means some meds that might help me I can't take as they would effect my glaucoma.
I've fought many illnesses and had several life saving operations, but this has really taken over my life and although I'm not old I feel like I'm a 100 and in so much pain. If I was an animal they would put me down out of kindness. No one but a suffer understands the immense pain and lack of sleep we suffer from! Like you I want to give up and curl up and die, but I have to carry on for my family. As my daughter says, one day they might come up with a cure, we live in hope!

ive been on two of them for almost over 1 year now. gabby as i call it is for the nerve pain you have. its a blocker to the brain. it is also used for other things. i also have been on gralease its a time release gabby. i was taking 3600 mg a day.1800 of gabby and 1800 gralease. after months of taking both
i find out the law says you are not aloud to take both. so i weened of gabby with very bad withdrawals. im taking only gralease now 3000 mg a day.
script is through my neurologist.he tells me take 2 in am 1 at noon and 2 at 5pm. just got back an hour ago from pain mgt doctor.she said you cant take 3000mg of the gralease in seperate doses. its a once a day thing. i asked her so i take all 5 pills at night? she said no. 3000 mg is too much. i told her
we are weening me off it and 2700mg is max. she said no too much. so now here i am again with two doctors having a pissing contest. pain mgt could care less about getting withdrawals. this med seems to keep me at a level 3/4. if it works for you please post. try it. just dont get caught up in a pissing contest over it. its not worth the withdrawals.
I am afraid it did nothing to help me.
I have not found any meds that help me and I am waiting to hear back from my doctor to see if there's anything else that might help, unfortunately I have hereditary glaucoma which means some meds that might help me I can't take as they would effect my glaucoma.
I've fought many illnesses and had several life saving operations, but this has really taken over my life and although I'm not old I feel like I'm a 100 and in so much pain. If I was an animal they would put me down out of kindness. No one but a suffer understands the immense pain and lack of sleep we suffer from! Like you I want to give up and curl up and die, but I have to carry on for my family. As my daughter says, one day they might come up with a cure, we live in hope!

tvale, maybe. until then we must help each other through this pain.

i do understand about if you were a dog/animal. hang in there!

yes!

lose of eye site is a side effect of it. so im told by two doctors and an eye doctor.

they must dilate the eye to do the surgery.

they use epinephrine to do this. i cant have that because my eye will explode per my eye doctor.

you must be awake during the surgery. im also allergic to prolonged contact to plastic. my lupus will start attacking that area.
so i cant even wear contact lens after they remove the lens from my eye.

im may have to change my name from see me(cme) to cant cme..lol

be well and hang in there with me. we can all get through this together!
Hi
This info is New to me and I am now very worried about this. I've only been on 600mgs because I can't take any more without side effects.
What worries me is I've been given it whilst the Drs knew that I have hereditary glaucoma!

I didn't find it helped so have been cutting them out gradually, I'm now pleased that I am.
Hopefully as I've only been on them for about 6 months it hasn't caused too much damage?
I want to keep my sight.
I am now taking ibuprofen a for the pain, just to get me mobile.
I do swim and feel better afterwards, it's the next day I really suffer.

Does anyone feel like all their nerves are sparking and making you feel unbalanced in the mornings and sometimes during the day if you over do it?
Also does anyone actually shake in parts of their body? My right arm shakes sometimes if I've over used it. Pains go from my armpit down my arm into my fingers and then my arm shaked for hours. I cannot stop it and if I do it hurts more. I Hate this and am very upset about this and feel very self conscious!

Hello tvale, im glad to see you are finally posting here. thanks for sharing your story. im so glad you got off of it. i was on 2700 mg a day.

You Said:

Does anyone feel like all their nerves are sparking and making you feel unbalanced in the mornings and sometimes during the day if you over do it?
Also does anyone actually shake in parts of their body? My right arm shakes sometimes if I've over used it. Pains go from my armpit down my arm into my fingers and then my arm shaked for hours.

please read my post under general discussions. "what is fibromyalgia" and "starting a daily log book and why it helps"

these will explain your nerves and shaking. this will also explain doctors and how to help yourself with your treatment plan.

keep posting and asking questions. i love questions. thats what made me a senior member. means im helping folks and i would like to help you too.

may you have a low pain day soon. and my you have gotten off the med in time.

Hi Everyone and Cme,
I love Gabapentin and I can't make it through the night without it. I always take the smallest dose of anything for I don't want to damage my liver or kidneys. However, I don't believe Gabapentin does any damage to major organs but it might make you lose your balance and make you somewhat loopy and somewhat forgetful. I had back surgery in 2012 and it was a success. However, I do have some numbness and tingling in my feet. Ialso had elective foot surgery to correct bunions and hammertoes. I have DDD in my spine along with osteoarthritis in my hands and feet and heaven knows where else. I still lose my balance somewhat and when I take GABA... I hang on to walls or whatever i can if I lose my balance. Arthritis in my spine is absolutely painful. Somedays it's OK and other days it's bad. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2003 and have gone through many medicines and kept only a few. I also have coronary heart disease but it's controlled and it's not bad due to HBP also controlled. I cannot make it through the day without GABA... I only take 600mg at night usually, and if my feet feel like they're on a vice I take 900mg. During the day if the fibro is horrible I take 1 or 2 GABA... which does help with the overall pain. I take aspirin (2 baby) with food. Never take aspirin on an empty stomach. I also use the Flector Patch on my back and it helps a lot. However, I cannot use Flector but once or twice a week due to CAD. I was on 60mg Cymbalta for 2 months and gained 10 lbs. It did not help with the pain.I am getting myself off of it. I am now taking half every 2 days. I have dropped 5 lbs in 3 weeks. I will not go on any antidepressants again. I have to keep my weight light due to my spine and the laminectomy I had. Clonopen .5-1 mg works great for the anxiety if I get it at night.

I go to the gym 2-3 times a week and do minor weights on the machines and the bike or elliptical. I have a Schwinn Adyne bike that I use if it's raining. I walked a mile in the park today with my hubby. I am retired but keep busy and clean the house when I can and organize. I eat healthy and love to cook. I start little projects that keeps my mind off the pain and I don't dwell in the pain. I read, sew, help my hubby if he paints but I can't overdo or my back pain at night is a 15 out of 10. Stretches help and I swim in the summer outside or at the gym. I usually exercise every other day.

I know how dull, constant and nagging the fibro pain can be, but help yourself. Gabapentin does work and the dosage depends on how bad your pain is. I hope you feel better. Dealing with Fibro is trial and error with meds. Good luck and hang in there!:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back