Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
NL
State
NL
Sorry guys, I really need to vent! I'm just a few weeks away from my trip and I've been strcuk by a freaking UTI that won't go away! I've been on two different antibiotics to treat it, but seems things are getting much worse!

My lower back hurts really bad (I think the infection might have started affecting my kidneys!). I just don't know what to do... I feel a lot nausea, and my has a really strong smell! Just when I thought all was clear... now I might end up getting hospitalized!

I'm just a few weeks away from my trip! I bought the plane ticket 4 months earlier :roll: I'm finally close to travel and this happens :( I'm starting to think someone doesn't want me to go there.

Gosh, I hope you get to feeling better in time for your trip. I had a UTI many years ago that spread to my kidneys annd I was in the hospital for a week. However now days they have ways of treating things at home. Don't let things go to long without seeing your doctor or visiting the ER, as kidney infections can be really bad.

Drink lots of water and avoid cranberry juice as the acid content can irrate your bladder lining making it hard to get over a infection. In fact avoid all acid fruits and juices until it clears up. Try taking mild painkillers and keep warm and stay in bed resting as much as possible.

I hate it when we get infections just in time to ruin a great trip or outing, or time with friends. I will be praying for your quick recovery. :)

You are so sweet, 1sweed :) I feel much better today, I saw the doctor today and told me the EXACT same thing you told me. Ah, she also told me I'm going tru another colitis episode... so grateful the IBS didn't join the party, hehehe! That would have been way too much! I feel hopeful this will be cleared soon :) I'm drinking lots of water and making a tea with a herb known as ''horsetail''.

I'm just a pair of weeks away from the trip, so I'm hopeful this will be cleared soon. As soon as I don't end up at the hospital before the trip all is good :) I got my meds and I'm also going to change my diet... my current diet is making my colitis worse! I feel very hopeful today :)

Sorry guys, I really need to vent! I'm just a few weeks away from my trip and I've been strcuk by a freaking UTI that won't go away! I've been on two different antibiotics to treat it, but seems things are getting much worse!

My lower back hurts really bad (I think the infection might have started affecting my kidneys!). I just don't know what to do... I feel a lot nausea, and my has a really strong smell! Just when I thought all was clear... now I might end up getting hospitalized!

I'm just a few weeks away from my trip! I bought the plane ticket 4 months earlier :roll: I'm finally close to travel and this happens :( I'm starting to think someone doesn't want me to go there.
So sorry you are going through this. I can identify since I have been plagued with this also. My gynecologist referred me to a urologist - female - in San Antonio who is knowledgable, kind, gentle and all a doctor should be. She diagnosed me with interstitial cystitis which can flare up and appear to be a UTI. She prescribed two medications - one that helps with bacterial infection and one that eases the pain of the flare ups. I drink lots of filtered water and take cranberry capsules instead of drinking juice which can irritate the system.

Good luck and hang in there.

Hey there, Sandie! Sorry to hear you have suffered from this as well! It's so annoying, but I feel much better right now... I hope I don't get more pain, I'm so close to my trip I'd hate seeing the whole experience getting ruined by something like this. By the way... did you completely get rid of that intersitial cystitis? This last time I could swear I would probably be with that pain for life! Fortunately I'm better :) I'll take a look at those cranberry juice pills, I drink the juice, but it contains too much sugar for my taste. Thanks a lot for the kind and uplifting words :)

I have intersitial cystitis as well, and it does not completely ever go away, but it can be managed by diet and avoiding acid foods and juices, like grapefruit juice and cranberry juice. A good book on UTI and cystitis, is called You Don't Have To Live With Cystitis, by Larrian Gillespie, M.D., it is a older book so look for it where used books can be found. It mentions all the foods that irrate the bladder and can also cause more pain by consuming them. Like cranberry juice and orange juice, grapefruit juice and chocolate, cheese and etc..

It provides the information about all bladder related conditions and provides coping skills for living with such problems. It has a section on infections as well. :)

Thanks a lot for the reply, 1sweed. I have question for you, I think a friend of mine suffers from this, but she insists she won't go see a urologist because she believes she just suffers from frequent UTIs, which clears up on their own after a couple of days. She often sees blood in her urine during those days. Do you think that could be cystitis? I've suffered from UTIs several times, and NEVER ever saw blood in my urine!

I heard seeing blood in your urine is a serious thing, it often points out to a really serious UTI or cystitis, right?

Whenever someone sees or thinks they see blood in their urine it is important to get it checked out. Whether you see a urologist or just your local family doctor it is important to find out what is going on. It could be an infection or something worse. Please tell you friend to get checked out as soon as possible.

Interstitial Cystitis is different then having cystitis, as it is not a infection but a constant inflamation of the inside of the bladder wall. It is very painful, but can be managed by eating the proper foods and with medication. Someone with frequent urinary infections should be under the care of a good urologist. Please encourage your friend to see one for the sake of her or his health. :)

Thanks for the info :) You are always super helpful! I'll tell my friend about this, I told her I didn't think that was normal at all, but she insisted it was all ok because it always cleared up on its own after a few days. I still thought it was bad.

By the way, I'm UTI free right now and I hope to continue this way! I'm just 7 days away from my trip to the Netherlands! I think I will make it safe and sound there!

I'll take a look at those cranberry juice pills, I drink the juice, but it contains too much sugar for my taste. Thanks a lot for the kind and uplifting words :)

Two things here... well no, three. :razz: First of all, I hope you have a perfectly wonderful time on your trip! Sounds as if you'll be making memories to last a lifetime!

Second, I know someone who can't drink cranberry juice because of IBS/other issues and I didn't even know about cranberry pills, so this will be very encouraging to her! These really don't cause the same ill effects as the juice for someone who can't drink it?

Third... you mentioned the sugar in cranberry juice. That must be the cranberry juice cocktail? I always assumed that the "mixes" and those with sugar wouldn't be effective like the 100% cranberry juice. Anyone know if I'm wrong about that? The 100% tastes sooooo nasty, but I've always thought that's the kind that would make a difference with the urinary issues.

Yikes! I'm glad you're feeling better.

My friend was flying back home a couple of weeks ago to bring her mother in law back for a three week visit. Her plane left at 2pm and at 12pm she called me, all frantic. A UTI hit her that morning. She waited as long as she possibly could for her husband to come home before calling me. I rushed her to the doctor where she was given some antibiotics and pain killers. Then I rushed her to the airport. She had to change seats so she could be near a bathroom. That had to have been the worst flight. Her husband didn't understand why she couldn't wait until she got home!

Thank god you've got the opportunity to be over it before you leave!

I've had about 6 UTI's in the past 2 years. Most of the time, they are caused by recurrent kidney stones, which are terribly painful. After several doses of antibiotics, I learned that they can have extremely dangerous side effects. One side effect is hyperacusis, which I now have. I can't say for sure that the antibiotics caused it, but the last dose of antibiotics that I had made me feel extremely sick. They gave me insomnia, nausea, and severe tinnitus. I decided that I'd try natural remedies to get rid of the UTI. I also realized that taking baths was the probable cause of my uTI's. From research online, I learned that, in the bathtub, germs like e-coli can float from the anus into the vagina (sorry if its TMI). For natural remedies, I used apple cider vinegar, diatomaceous earth, lots of lemon water, and cystex- and over the counter UTI pain medication that is also antibacterial. With these things, I got rid of the UTI without using harmful antibiotics. During this time of treatment, I avoided all sugar, which can "feed" the bacteria and make the infection worse. I hope my story will help you.

Thanks a lot, Jenny! I was actually told baths were afwul for people like us who seem to be prone to UTIs! Fortunately we don't have a bath tub at home, so I never take baths, but I did when I was in the Netherlands. I was wondering why baths were blamed for causing UTIs, I had no idea e coli could make its way from the anus to the vagina! That sounds really dangerous! Another good reason not to take baths.

By the way, I'm so sorry the antibiotics did that to you. I took an antibiotic known as ''norflaxin'', well I had a reaction just after one pill! Good I had it, because I late read this drug is marked as dangerous by the FDA, as it can cause permanent damage to the nerves.

Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely not treating UTIs with antibiotics ever again! Have you tried treating UTIs with garlic?

Yikes! I'm glad you're feeling better.

My friend was flying back home a couple of weeks ago to bring her mother in law back for a three week visit. Her plane left at 2pm and at 12pm she called me, all frantic. A UTI hit her that morning. She waited as long as she possibly could for her husband to come home before calling me. I rushed her to the doctor where she was given some antibiotics and pain killers. Then I rushed her to the airport. She had to change seats so she could be near a bathroom. That had to have been the worst flight. Her husband didn't understand why she couldn't wait until she got home!

Thank god you've got the opportunity to be over it before you leave!

Wow, I can totally relate to her pain and suffering! I hope the flight wasn't too long! Having a UTI and being sitting inside a plane for hours and hours can't be easy! I had such a hard time with mine, and I was spending most of that time here at home! Long flights are awful on their own (ask me after being traveling for 25 hours in a row and no sleep) but now add having an UTI!

I hope she feels better now! Poor woman, fortunately my UTI was almost gone by the time I had to catch that plane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back