Not open for further replies.

dorann

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Kentucky
We've been going through some stuff with our kids and because of that, both my husband and I have had to submit to drug testing once a week.

Well, today I wasn't able to pee in the cup and I called the social worker to ask her about it. She then went on to inform me that mine have been clean but that my husband's have been testing positive for a heroin marker? He has a prescription for oxycodone for his pain issues and that is the only thing that he is taking.

My question leads to, is there different markers for different opiates? As far as I knew they all show up the same in a drug test.

Hi Dorann. It depends on the sensitivity of testing they are doing. Some are very specific to medications like morphine, fetanyl or oxycodone. Others will just give markers like heroin or THC. The oxycodone is a derivative of morphine which is a sibling to heroin. Often pain docs will do the specific test to ensure you are actually taking your meds and not selling them. Hope this helps.

That is pretty much what I thought. He has tried to tell the social worker time and time again that the only thing that he takes is his oxycodone and all the research that I've been able to do says that it metabolizes to morphine and thus could look the same in a court ordered drug test. His doctor has never said anything about something being in his drug tests that isn't supposed to be there.

That is pretty much what I thought. He has tried to tell the social worker time and time again that the only thing that he takes is his oxycodone and all the research that I've been able to do says that it metabolizes to morphine and thus could look the same in a court ordered drug test. His doctor has never said anything about something being in his drug tests that isn't supposed to be there.

Based on what you've said, I'm assuming that your hubby's Dr does drug test him? Most Dr's have the extensive tests done to make sure you're taking exactly what you've been prescribed, so maybe you guys should request the results of the urine tests from the Dr and provide them to the social worker and the court. You might also ask the Dr for a letter (on his letter head) stating the medications prescribed to back up the results of the urine exam.

The court is probably using an inexpensive test which is not as detailed as the Dr's test. Dr's almost always use the extensive tests so they can make sure you're taking what you're supposed to, following prescription
Directions, not taking illegal drugs aka self medicating, and also to 'cya aka cover your behind!' incase of fda/dea investigation or if something were to happen...

Like is said, if it were me, I'd request the medical records of the drug tests and request a letter from the Dr.
Hope this helps and good luck!

He does go to see his doctor this week and he has already said that he is going to request those records that he can present to the court. In addition to that, he is going to talk to the doctor about starting to step him down or change him to something that is non-narcotic just because we have to get this whole mess straightened up.

Good luck, especially living in Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back