DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Missouri
So I've been suffering from chronic fatigue for several years. I've recently
discovered a "cure" of sorts. As long as I don't eat, I start to feel fine.
As soon as I eat *anything*, I start to feel like I fell down a flight of stairs.
I seem to tolerate small amounts of fresh celery but that's basically like
eating nothing. I also seem to tolerate my morning coffee fine but basically
anything else and brain fog, muscle aches, basically feel like I have the flu.
I obviously can't stop eating so it's not really a solution but I was wondering
if anyone else found that fasting helped their chronic pain. Oh, and
I've been tested for common allergies and came back clean and also
I don't suspect allergies if for no other reason that more food doesn't seem
to make it any worse and might even make it better. i.e. I feel slightly
better if I eat an entire meal versus when I just eat a banana. I've tried
fruit, vegetables, meats, etc.. there doesn't seem to be any food group
that is safe. Even diet soda is a no go and makes me feel like I got hit
by a truck. The worse offenders (if there is a worst offender) seem to be
soda of any kind including diets, pepperoni, orange juice, and anything
with sugar in it. I've strangely found that 1 glass of soda floors me but
several glasses in a row and I start to feel a little better. This could partial
be because my IBS kicks in and basically flushes the entire system clean
though.

Anyways, does anyone else find that fasting improves their symptoms?

Oh, that's not good. It sounds less like allergies to me and more something to do with your gut, either your IBS acting up or something else. Do you feel the effects immediately after eating or in a few hours? Any nausea/stomach upset along with it?
Have you been tested for Celiac Disease? It's not an allergy, and I certainly went through a lot of "I can't eat anything" periods before going 100% gluten free. It's always a good thing to rule out, since fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue and celiac symptoms often overlap. I also recommend getting your vitamin levels checked. Talk to your doctor about conditions that could cause damage to your gut but might be felt in other parts of your body.

As for managing to eat, if you can eat a full meal without problems, then perhaps you just have to plan to have a good solid breakfast/lunch/dinner and not snack in-between. Try cutting back on processed foods and stick to fresh veg/meats/some grains. Oh, and digestive enzymes can be a big help in helping your gut do the work it's supposed to.

In any case, don't starve yourself! Hope you can get to the bottom of it.

Have you considered sugar and food chemical intolerance? The foods you list that bother you contains these substances. One doesn't have to have an allergy but can still display an intolerance.

thank you so much for this post. i have been experiencing the same after eating pretty much anything. the only things i don't react to are water, soda water, and raw veggies (sans nightshades). gluten, sugars, dairy, and salty foods always makes it far worse. i feel best in the morning as long as i hadn't eaten anything late at night. most days now i postpone eating until late afternoon because i just don't want to deal with the excess pain. to make things stranger this has been happening more recently, in the past few months. almost around the same time my detergent/chemical sensitivities started to begin (in a previous post)

at first i tried to figure out what made me have the least reaction - but after failing to find anything besides raw veggies, i've been eating what i want and take gabapentins or tramadols or start drinking wine to reduce the pain. it's about quality of life at this point for me. but i am very curious why this new sudden change in my body. i'm thinking about seeing a rheumatologist - not looking forward to the non answers which always gets me so frustrated and down. two years ago i did all the basic allergy tests that was covered by insurance and had no food allergies. then i went to a naturopath and she did a more comprehensive allergy test and i do have sensitivity to sugars and dairy. so i try to stay away from that. but gluten and salt is new.

eating used to be oh so much joy. but now i dread every meal and now most days i only have one. thank you for sharing. it really helps knowing that someone else is having the same experience.

gluten, sugars, dairy, and salty foods always makes it far worse.

i've been eating what i want and take gabapentins or tramadols or start drinking wine to reduce the pain. it's about quality of life at this point for me.

i'm thinking about seeing a rheumatologist - not looking forward to the non answers which always gets me so frustrated and down.

thank you for sharing. it really helps knowing that someone else is having the same experience.

Those are all triggers for me too except for salty foods. Carbs are horrible but salt actually makes me feel better. Because most salty foods tend to also be high carb, I've started adding extra salt to stuff and also sometimes just eating it straight which seems to help. I also was prescribed gabapentin but it made things worse as does alcohol so I avoid it as well. I'm also considering going to see a RA but hate the non-answers. The only thing worse than non-answers is when they send you off on an expensive wild goose chase which still comes back as a non-answer.

lol that is definitely worse. or when they suggest it's all in your head which makes me pull out my hair like ughhhhhh what are we in the 50's? and why are you wasting my time and energyyyyyyy

Have you experimented at all with any so called " energy drinks " which usually have lots of caffeine. Caffeine seems to be one of those GOOD NEWS BAD NEWS sort of drugs. Depending on the one writing the news on Caffeine it's the devils brew or it's the cat's meow. ( I think I just dated myself )

Wow, I think this post suddenly open my eyes to why there are people who screaming there's no safe food to eat around anymore. I didn't understand the mentality of it cause it doesn't making an sense to me but now since I read this post is clearing up the misunderstanding in the big way and I guess I have lots of people to apologizing for. Truly , I might have to write a puplic apology for this. I truly have completed forgotten how food can hurt even when I had that same problem growing up. When was 8 I suffered greatly with stomach ulcers so bad I threw up everything till the blood came up along with it. I couldn't eat anything cause everything was against me. How could I've forget that feeling , I can't believe how hypocrited I have been in this pass couple of months. I guess literally it must be my fog brain blocking the bad memories of it cause now I eat very selectively and each thing I eat is acting like drug to my each of my fibro pains both physically and mentally. I still don't eat a lot of anything unnecessary and I stay far away from ordering food and cook my own. Yet form time to time my anemia do crave unhealthy non nutritioned food do to iron deficiency with delayed effect so I have to give in some small junk food and prepare to suffer the later on consequences. I should have been able to understand greatly of how hard it is to eat but I love cooking so much even when I can't eat so I really do forget the pains it self and how extremely hopeless it could truly be. Please accept my apologies to everyone who truly suffer from eating here. I was so wrongly mad and extremely upset, I have been so rude about it all. Thank you so much to you all especially you Wilson42 for opening up my eyes. I'm truly grateful for this post and everyone who answered it .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back