Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2016
Country
US
State
Ma
I am in my 40's. I was diagnosed a year and a half ago, after 5 years of misdiagnosis and doctors thinking i'm crazy. I had gone through extensive testing for Lyme, Lupus and MS. And doctors telling me I was depressed and that's why I felt the way I felt. I thought I WAS going crazy. My life was very stressful, and I was always on the go, working 50+ hours a week, taking care of my two boys (who are now 20 and 21), taking care of friends and family, (my mom always called me Florence Nightingale, lol). It was finally a Physiologist who diagnosed me. Fibro was something I never really thought was real. Never even considered it. The people who I knew who said they had Fibro were pill seekers, drug addicts, people who I never would compare myself to. (I now realize these people were addicts using this illness as an excuse, and not an accurate representation of true Fibro sufferers).

It was a life altering diagnosis. I got a second opinion from a leading Rheumatoid Doctor in my area and he did confirm it. I am not someone who uses drugs, prescription or illegal. I even avoid taking antibiotics. Ive never used marijuana because I am allergic to it (yes, you read that correctly, ALLERGIC). I have discussed with my doctor the use of Cymbalta or Lyrica, but I do not want to take them. I manage with Ibuprofen and 1 Tramadol in the mornings to get me moving, and flexeril at night to help my muscles relax for sleep. It's not a cure all, and I'm never pain free, my flares are horrible, but I manage.

My boys are as understanding as 20 year olds can be, lol, my boyfriend of 2 years is a saint, and my boss and co-workers are awesome people. I now only work 25-30 hours a week, my shifts are only 5 hour shifts. and I have eliminated as many of my "stressful situations" as I could from my life. It's not perfect, but I manage.

Reading all your stories have made feel like I'm not alone, it has helped. Thank you for being here, and thank you for hearing my story. Love to you all.

Welcome to the forum, Keri.

I feel so sorry for you that you went through all the hard time and stress until you were diagnosed. Usually, the first few years are more difficult and painful but later you can have it under control.

Just like you, I do not want to take medication for fibromyalgia. When my doctor proposed it to me at the very beginning, he told me that they used the side effect of the medication for depression to treat Fibromyalgia, and once started, I would not be able to stop taking it immediately but with lesser dose and a long time to stop it. So I decided to bear the pain and the other symptoms associated with Fibromyalgia without medication.

I am glad to know that your people, your boss and co-workers are so good and understanding, this certainly makes life less stressful for you.

Spring is coming, you will be feeling better and better every day.

Marie219. you are right. Warmer weather is on it's way, thankfully. I know some also have trouble with high heat as well as cold. I do not. My body loves heat. lol. I love New England so am hesitant to move to warmer climates. In the winter I go to a tanning bed, once a week, for 10 minutes. It does wonders. I also try to use hot tubs and steam rooms when i can. When I was diagnosed I told myself I would never give in. Once I'm mobile in the morning I try not to stop until I'm ready to sleep. Oh I have my days where staying mobile isn't an option, but I try like hell. LOL.
Love to all.

Hi Keri,

I am new to forum also and decided to reach out. (First time in ANY forum!)
Your story sounds remarkably like mine. (even our ages) I have been thru exactly what you have. I feel like I could write a book, as I'm sure many of us do. This disease is all consuming, that's for sure. I still can't believe the amount of symptoms it can and does cause. I was diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic last May. I had been to so many local Dr's I just couldn't take it anymore. I've gotten to the point I don't even discuss each new symptom with my PCP. He doesn't understand Fibro and has told me as much. I probably need a new PCP, but that's not easy and I've been with him for decades. Anyway, I finally decided maybe talking, venting and listening to others may be a good thing. You are not alone and so many of us can understand and are walking in your shoes.

It's too hard to do this alone!

Hi! So sorry you don't have a supportive PCP. Is there any way you could find a new one? I was so fortunate that mine actually suggested it and sent me to a rheumatologist who specializes in fibromyalgia. I do take Cymbalta as my depression was grave. It did help with my symptoms. Clearly, that is not the answer though for everybody. I also find working part-time has helped me balance my life. I am a nurse so full-time was very hard. I am having one of those days today though. Usually keep active, but today haven't even brushed my teeth. Some days I find showering and drying my hair exhausting. Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back