Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IN
I would like to know if anyone has ever gone through these things.

My father has been different for years. After a confrontation with him a few weeks ago in front of my three young children, I noticed his eyes were glossy and he was slurring his speech more than usual. Our entire family has been worried about a drug addiction for awhile but I had never understood why until that day. He was recently diagnosed with firbo and blames everything on this diagnosis. He can be extremely sick and can't stand or see, go into a hospital and get some pain meds, and be up on his feet the entire next day like he'd never been sick. Is that normal?

I understand the symptoms of fibro. I really do. But in my gut I don't feel like this is the only thing going on. 5 of his friends who are recovering addicts are worried about addiction, my grandparents and my uncles as well. His ex wife told me that he use to take pain pills just to get high (about 6 years ago) and he was still doing it when they split.

okay so my other questions. I know with this disease that you can become forgetful. my wife and I can have conversations with him and within hours he forgets the entire conversation. I understand forgetting details and dates and so on. But entire conversations? Like the ones where we have had to tell him he is not well enough to keep my three children any more. I have had to have this conversation with him at least 8 times. around 6 because he did not remember and the other ones I think was hoping I had changed my mind. Is this normal?

I know slurring and speech issues are common with fibro. He slurs his speech extremely bad some days. So much so that I have no idea what he is even saying and he can barely open his eyes like he is so drugged out. Family has seen him at events where he is unable to stand or even make a sentence. Normal? Oh and he insists that he doesn't take his pain pills.

When I text him, its like texting someone who is drunk some days. He will randomly say something that has nothing to do with anything that we are talking about. And when I ask questions, things make even less sense. I was talking about Christmas plans and his response was, "the kids will love what I got them for Thanksgiving when I get them." For starters, he can not take my kids alone anymore. Which he should know by now. Secondly, we were not talking about thanksgiving and haven't yet actually. When I asked about it, his response was that we had just talked about it so it was on his mind.

Then there is the anger issues. He blames on a fibro med that he has now been taken off off. Like cussing everyone out and being aggressive in front of my children!

things have gotten so bad and we feel like everything is pointing to a drug addiction. I am not saying that he doesn't have fibro. But I have also heard that drug addiction on top of fibro cam make the symptoms even worse. We did an intervention and he agreed he needed help and had a problem and now he's backing out blaming everything on the fibro again. I am at a lose. If anyone can shed some light on this for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

This really sounds not so much like fibro and more like drug reaction/use or neurological problems. I'd urge you to address your concerns with his doctor. While the doc can't discuss his care with you without your dad's permission, he or she should be willing to hear your concerns. With memory impairment, he might not be taking his meds properly. Write down your concerns so you have everything in order before you call the doc. Good luck.

This really sounds not so much like fibro and more like drug reaction/use or neurological problems. I'd urge you to address your concerns with his doctor. While the doc can't discuss his care with you without your dad's permission, he or she should be willing to hear your concerns. With memory impairment, he might not be taking his meds properly. Write down your concerns so you have everything in order before you call the doc. Good luck.

He said he brought it up to his doctor and his doctor did not see the issue and told him to just take himself off the meds at home if he really wanted to. This simple and unconcerned response makes me feel like he did not really explain the situation to the doctor to begin with. He told us as well that his doctor invited us to come in there with him so he could explain fibro to us the next appointment. Which I don't think is for another 3 months.

currently he is waiting on a call back from a rehab locally. I don't know if its true or not. But what good will it honestly do if he is going because he wants to see my children vs going because he knows he needs to get some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back