Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
None
Yeah! It finally happened. I got a letter in the mail today telling me when my hearing before the judge will be. It is on November 10th. I was hoping to get a decision by Christmas but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I just thought it would be a great Christmas present especially if I won. Of course if I lose I will be greatly disappointed. Anyway I am just glad to at least have a solid date for the hearing.

That's great new X

Congrats! I am waiting for my hearing. I got a letter stating they are going to set a hearing but no date yet. I hope you get your disability.

That really is great news, Krista and harpert!

As someone who also recently has gone thru the SSDI application process (2.5 years!), I know how agonizing the wait can be! The end is in sight for you though, so just hang in there!

Be good to yourself and don't give up the SSA fight!

How long did it take you to get your hearing?:)

From the time my attorney filed until my actual court date took 19 months. The average wait time is 17 months so I am a little over that.

How long did it take you to get your hearing?:)

Every ODAR office is different. Some are backlogged more than others. There is a website out there that has the stats for every ODAR. It will provide you the approximate current wait time for a hearing, and also the approval/denial stats for their judges.

For me it took 30-months from submitting application (Jan. 2014) till the actual ALJ hearing date (June 20, 2016). My lawyer filed the request for a hearing on March 2015, so only 15-months to the hearing from that point. I did have a video tele-conference hearing, so that might have helped get an earlier hearing date - I can't be sure.

On July 8th, 18-days after the hearing, I received in the mail the official "Notice of Decision" and the "fully favorable" verdict (dated June 30, 2016).

I actually knew something "was up" earlier when "My SSA" website indicated that I was now receiving disability benefits and enrolled in Medicare (only 12-days after hearing)!

I know it is very unusual to receive the verdict so quickly, so I am very grateful. My lawyer said that my case was strong and pretty much "cut and dry".

I wish you all the best. Hang in there!

That is really scary for me to go before the judge. I'm afraid I will not be able to convince him/her of my inability to work. In my head the delay in receiving a hearing is good news. I'm so luck that the disability from my old employer came through last year. I'm not even sure ssdi will be a whole lot more money.

That is really scary for me to go before the judge.

I, too was very anxious and afraid while waiting for my ALJ hearing. I decided that my fears were based on "the unknown".

To help alleviate my fears I tried to educate myself on the hearing process - for example, finding out what questions are usually asked by the judge, the hypothetical jobs most often suggested by the Vocational Expert for my disabilities, how many minutes does a typical hearing last, etc.

There is an awesome source of that kind of SS disability hearing info online. I know it is not permissible to post url's here so if you want to read up on this, please google: "social security disability facts forum". You will find most any question regarding the SS disability process already answered by the helpful SSDFacts experts there!

Familiarity and knowledge helped reduce my fears. :)

I'm afraid I will not be able to convince him/her of my inability to work.

You and your lawyer/representative will have sent the judge all the critical documentation ahead of time, and so the judge will already have reviewed your case file carefully before the hearing. During the hearing, the judge will ask you questions to confirm or clarify what was submitted. Just try to relax, don't be afraid, and simply tell the truth. Also remember that your lawyer will be there right by your side to help you along as necessary.

I'm not even sure ssdi will be a whole lot more money.

The SSA website has online calculators to determine your approximate SSDI benefit. On top of that, don't forget that if you "win" you will probably receive a large lump sum back pay. Both can be quite sizable and significant, especially if like many, you are on limited or no income.

I hope this information has been of some help to anyone in the Social Security disability application process! Hang in there and wishing you all the best of luck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back