Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/1999
Country
CA
State
ON
It really irks me :-| to hear people (and doctors) tell me: It's the weather.

Monday was sunny and I had huge FM on Monday.
Today it's stormy and I woke up with no pain this morning (this worried me :shock:)

And it's not just today, I checked my symptoms vs the weather many times over the years.

Also when they blame the weather it's like they're saying there's nothing I can do about it.

My doctor once said, it will get better in the summer :confused: (what???) I can't stand the summer heat,
it wears me down on top of the FM pain.

Does anyone else hate to hear others tell you it's the weather that causes FM? :???:

It really irks me :-| to hear people (and doctors) tell me: It's the weather.

Monday was sunny and I had huge FM on Monday.
Today it's stormy and I woke up with no pain this morning (this worried me :shock:)

And it's not just today, I checked my symptoms vs the weather many times over the years.

Also when they blame the weather it's like they're saying there's nothing I can do about it.

My doctor once said, it will get better in the summer :confused: (what???) I can't stand the summer heat,
it wears me down on top of the FM pain.

Does anyone else hate to hear others tell you it's the weather that causes FM? :???:

I think they hook fibro to arthritis and that's how that mind set came in. Me, I hate the cold. High heat, not much better. Summer is connected to more sun light, a natural builder of vitamen D... I do feel better year round if I sit outside (summertime in the shade with a fan winter time in the sun with a radiant heater) . But NO, the weather has very little to do with it, you just may be more sensitive to extreams if anything. I think these comments are just an example to how misunderstood CFS and fibro really are.

I'm with you - don't tell me it's the weather:cool:
Stess, exercise, sleep and over-exertion have a much bigger effect for me.

I think Eyesup is right, people get confused about what fibromyalgia is. It is not like autoimmune or osteoarthritis. It is central nervous system sensitization. I have a friend who has ankylosing spondylitis and sometimes we compare notes. There are some real differences in how each of our conditions affect us.

I'm like Eyesup - the heat tends to soothe me - here in Oregon the heat is dry and the nights are almost always cool. But I can also get overheated easily if I am not careful. I saw some research last year that showed people with fibromyalgia have abnormalities in the nerves that control how close to the surface of the skin blood flows. These nerves are a major way that the body controls temperature. If the blood is close to the surface we warm up. I figure we can get "stuck" in warm up or cool down mode. Or some of us may flip back and forth randomly.

Excuse me, I meat to write if the blood is close to the surface we cool down, if it's down deeper we warm up.

Hi there. I don't belong to the school of thought that it is the weather that causes fibro. Rather to put it succinctly, it is an indirect cause especially cold weather which causes fibro flares in some people. I read that loose fitting woollen clothes are fine in these situations. The fact is that fibro is a syndrome that manifests uniquely in different people.

Hi there. I don't belong to the school of thought that it is the weather that causes fibro. Rather to put it succinctly, it is an indirect cause especially cold weather which causes fibro flares in some people. I read that loose fitting woollen clothes are fine in these situations. The fact is that fibro is a syndrome that manifests uniquely in different people.

I seem to feel worse when it's cold and cloudy, I seem to get migraines more often during winter :/ Sadly I do seem to have arthritis apart from fibro, no idea how... but since I was little I had pain in my joints. I saw a really good rheumy some years after that, I was never diagnosed with something else apart from fibro. My mom as diagnosed with something else when she was younger (rheumatic fever), I never was though.

I Know the weather totally dictated my life for all these years and it still does. People and beakthcare givers can never believe in what you are telling the u less they have had it happen to the! How can we ever make them believe in the pain we have when they just don't experience it. What a sad shame for those of us that the doctors say it's only input head and don't take us serious.

Summer is very hard on me with the heat i feel extremely fatigued :-?

Ha, a nurse in the ER told me that my headaches might be from the weather (it had rained the day before).

Yeah, it's a little annoying at first, but I just dismiss it. She was very nice and helpful otherwise.

And truthfully, sometimes when the barometric pressure is high, I do get headaches. But the ones I wake up with in the AM are not related
to the weather at all...they come rain or shine.

Like @Trellum, I have arthritis and other ailments along with Fibromyalgia. I think the issue is that Fibromyalgia is expressed in so many various symptoms, and often co-occurs with other conditions that are affected by weather, such as arthritis, sinusitis, migraines, etc., that people tend to generalize and outsiders (those without particular knowledge of Fibro) come to associate it with weather.

Sometimes mine is worsened by weather events such as thunderstorms or fluctuating barometric pressure and other times, it doesn't seem to be. Today we've had thunderstorms and torrential rains, and it hasn't increased my pain.

Ok, maybe I was wrong, lately I've noticed every time it rains my pain goes up, it seems like that's all it's done in this area for the past six months so I don't know. I'm beginning to wounder if there is a way to have the nerves removed!!!

Hello Everyone, My name is Gurjeet...just diagnosed with fibromyalgia...new member in this forum..i was searching for the cold weather issues and found this post...i too have problems with weather (specially cold weather) although i love cold weather but my body doesn't like it much now...i have noticed that sitting in air conditioned room for 2-3 hours can make my muscles sore next day...

it always aches the next day not on the same day..specially when i have rested more..i have noticed that regular movements and subtle walks in sun are really helpful..

but the problem with my condition is that fatigue doesn't let me do us much..

It can affect depression, and depression can increase brainfog.

This year has been exceptionally unsunny in the UK (which isn't a good benchmark to start from) and I've noticed a decrease in mood and energy levels. I haven't really noticed the weather ever affect pain levels, although Vitamin indirectly can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back